Reply to Thread

Thread: Image Uploading Guide

World
    Newfoundland

Image Uploading Guide

If you need to upload an image of your settlement you can upload the picture file here. It will give you a line to copy and paste in your post that will show the image you uploaded in the forum.

Should you need to know how to create a picture of your island please follow the guide for your operating system below

Windows XP
    Windows Vista, 7, 8
    Mac OSX

If you have any issues please PM me and I can help you out, either in game (on Newfoundland) or here on the forum
    Last edited by peck_ed; 29.01.13 at 21:01.
    I'm more than likely working right now.

World
    Newfoundland
    Windows XP

Once you have the image you want to take a picture of on screen the first thing you'll need to do is press the Print Screen button, it looks like this!

Once you have pressed that, you will need to load up Paint, you can find it in
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint

Once in paint, in the top left hand corner click on Edit then select Paste

This should load up the image you had on screen at the time you pressed the Print Screen button, now you're ready to select the area you wish to save in the image! Click on the "Select" button on the left hand menu (I have circled it in red in this picture). Once you have this button selected, just click the mouse and drag over the area you wish to "cut out" to save.

Once you have the area you want selected, go back up to Edit and then select "Cut"

Now you'll need to get rid of the rest of the image, click on File then select "New"

To make sure you're not left with loads of white space left around your image, make sure you click on the tiny box in the bottom right hand corner of the white space and drag it upwards so the white space left is tiny

Once re-sized it should look much smaller like this!

Now you're ready to paste back in that image you cut out before, click on Edit and then select "Paste"

Hopefully the image you cut out before comes back, if this is what you wanted, it's time to save! If you wanted to recapture, please just back a few steps

To save the image, click on File again, then "Save As...". It's important to select Save As because we don't want the file size to be huge as it is as the default with Save

Now select from the drop down menu select "JPEG". This will reduce the file size dramatically and save time when uploading the image to the website!

And save your file! You're done!
    Last edited by peck_ed; 29.01.13 at 21:43.

World
    Newfoundland
    Windows Vista, 7, 8

First select the snipping tool, you can find this with a search from either your Windows start bar in the bottom left hand corner with a search or from your Windows 8 menu in a search

Windows 7

Windows 8

Once the snipping tool has appeared, make sure you have the area of your island you want to take the picture of in view and then select "New"

Then once you have the image you want, click on the save button and save it into the location you want, if the picture isn't quite right, you can select New to take another picture

Once you have saved your file you can upload it here to post in the forum
    Last edited by peck_ed; 29.01.13 at 21:44.

World
    Newfoundland
    Mac OSX

Guide coming soon!
    Last edited by peck_ed; 29.01.13 at 21:09.

World
    Newfoundland

How to download an image

Right click on the image link from the forum and then select one of the following

Using Internet Explorer

Save target as... [Image view of this]

Using Google Chrome

Save link as... [Image view of this]

Using Firefox

Save Link As... [Image view of this]

Once you have saved the link, if using Windows you can use Microsoft Pain to add text to the images, to do this first open Paint, you can find this here
    Start > All Programs > Accessories > Paint

Once in paint, open the image you saved.

If you select

File > Open

Then select the image you just downloaded.

Once this opens in paint you can then add text to the areas of the image with the Text tool.

Click where you'd like the text to be placed, once in you can also resize the text box with the small boxes in each corner of the box you made

Don't forget if you make a mistake, you can always undo the last edit with the undo feature, this should take you back to one step before.

Or Edit > Undo in Windows XP

Once you have your finished image, we need to save it and upload it. You can save the file with the following steps.

If on Windows Vista or higher

File > Save As > PNG

If on Windows XP, click on File again, then "Save As...". It's important to select Save As because we don't want the file size to be huge as it is as the default with Save.

Now select from the drop down menu select "JPEG". This will reduce the file size dramatically and save time when uploading the image to the website, save your file and you're done.

Once you have the saved file you can upload your image here, it will then give you the text needed once it's finished uploading to post in the forum.

Don't forget if you have any questions to send me a PM

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove
    On linux, the method is almost exactly the same, except that we don't have Paint. Most of use the GIMP for image modification.

Reply to Thread