Reply to Thread

Thread: Production management...

World
    Sandycove

Production management...

At the moment we have a relatively new economy overview screen that displays all your buildings and their production contribution for any particular resource. You can click each of these buildings to jump straight to them... for upgrading, stopping and starting, demolishing etc. But this closes down the the overview window and you then have to click through it all again. This is inefficient if you are producing +8k coal (eg.) and you would like to slow down production to +5k.

It would be useful if there was an efficiency slider built into the economy overview tool that allows for production management. Instead of shutting down individual buildings to balance production the slider would slow down production by a certain percentage for the whole group of buildings. So if you did have +8k coal but want to slow it down to +5k then you'd set the slider to approx 62%. Of course the slider should, to make it easier, display your desired production rate and not the actual percentage - so it would be in a range of +0k (OFF) to +8k in this example.
    Message me in game for trade.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Don't like this idea, the game has been "Dumbed down" enough already. What is the point of playing a resource management game that manages the resources for you?

World
    Sandycove
    simple if you want to slow down production sleep some buildings

World
    Sandycove
    There is no dumbing down of the game, being able to control production speed is part of the resource management. I don't believe that my original post suggests that the game controls anything, the user would through an interface.

'Sleeping' buildings is an effective tool early on in the game when you only have a few of each to control. When you have dozens it can become tedious. Anyway, what you refer to as sleeping, I mentioned as stopping and starting and as such taken it into account with my feature suggestion.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    The game has an economy overview to make it easier to manage production, I preferred it when I had to work this out for myself because that's where the fun is. Also in combat we have previews and warnings of interceptions .... again not necessary and there to make things easier. The game has loads of dumping down. I would prefer to stop individual buildings myself as lulu said, not just move a slider and have the game do it for me.

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    I can see the appeal of a slider on an individual building - for example at the minute I am upgrading a recycler so am running coal at a loss, it would be useful if I could say downgrade my lvl 5 swords to a lvl 3 rather than switching it off altogether.

The other side of that argument is only running swords for x hours a day to manage the coal and working that out myself. I think I prefer that way and agree with Rendor, no dumbing down.

World
    Sandycove
    I quite like the idea of building level downgrades... I am assuming that it wouldn't be permanent. I actually find the resource management very easy in this game as it is and can roughly calculate the transient patterns emerging as certain resources hit MAX. But I suppose I don't like my workers stood around doing nothing and much rather that I could find a steady state just below MAX. Being able to take a level 5 building down to level 1 or 2, would be desirable in achieving a balanced economy in the end game.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    +1

I like the idea of production management in the economy overview and while I'm not too sure about the production slider; having the ability to turn off individual, several or all buildings in a production category is in no way dumbed down but in fact is strategic resource management and also is a huge convenience to those with several buildings that need to be managed and is a HUGE relief to those suffering from arthritis and carpal tunnel syndrome.

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackCastle View Post
    I quite like the idea of building level downgrades... I am assuming that it wouldn't be permanent. I actually find the resource management very easy in this game as it is and can roughly calculate the transient patterns emerging as certain resources hit MAX. But I suppose I don't like my workers stood around doing nothing and much rather that I could find a steady state just below MAX. Being able to take a level 5 building down to level 1 or 2, would be desirable in achieving a balanced economy in the end game.
    Something along these lines sounds pretty good I for one like it.

Reply to Thread