Reply to Thread

Thread: Guild Quests - A Contrarians View

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland

Guild Quests - A Contrarians View

Summary

Guild quests are proving to be divisive within our guild.

The Maths
    • Assumes a player purchases gems at £9.99 for 4000
    • A Jolly Geologist costs 300 gems or 75p to purchase
    • A player needs to complete 34 guild quests to buy a Jolly Geologist with Guild Coins
    • It is highly improbable that any normal guild will complete one guild quest per day - such guilds are more likely to be full of obssessives ;-)
    Common Sense
    • Most players will do the guild quest when they want to
    • Some guild quests involve doing an adventure - a player could be in another adventure when this arrives - thus delaying that players response time
    • It's probable that there's an imbalance between effort and reward dependant upon the individuals perception
    Solution
    • Allow players to opt in or out of guild quests
    • Only opted in players can receive guild coins

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Or get rid of the players who will not do the guild quest ... worked for us.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    in our guild also

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rendor View Post
    Or get rid of the players who will not do the guild quest ... worked for us.
    As I have said we tend to run our guild with just a little more understanding of lifes real values. I've alluded to that in my comment about running a normal guild.

Whilst that solution has worked for your guild (or at least those you haven't removed) it's not something I would allow onto my own radar of available solutions.

I'd like to offer my thanks for your comments if I may. I wish both you and your guild well and I hope you continue to enjoy the game.

Best
    Nuttymut :-)

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    So do we ... we did not charge entry but covered the cost ourselves, we made it clear to all new members that they were expected to complete the quest every day or leave, we issued several warnings before each expulsion, we were and are always willing to give time off when requested. Depends what you want from a guild really, numbers most of whom are dead weight or a smaller guild with everybody involved.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    We also have players that cannot log on everyday, and that is how we want our guild to be. We tend to be chilled about it, but want players to log in at least twice a week, this should allow 3-4 guild quests to be completed.

Every guild is different, and need to find solutions that work for them. We have an opt in/opt out scheme. Those that opt out do whatever they want with the guild coins, those that opt in send them to me as the guild leader. I then gift the geologists. This mean that higher level players subsidize lower level players, but it works for us. One of the reasons why we did this was that many of our higher level players had the geologist they needed, and we know what a difference a fast geo can make. As the contents of the guild shop changes, so might our priorities with who gets what. At the moment this set up is probably more beneficial to our lower level players, but that might change with future content.

This is obviously based on trust, and there are pitfalls. It is working for us with some hiccups along the way.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Nice idea .. looser with us, we just give res for a stone to lower levels till they get what they need.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Rendor, if that's the way you wish to play the game, then fine.
    But as pointed out, not everyone can play 24/7, one of the great things about TSO in the beginning was that you could play as much or as little as you were able, and good lasting friendships formed at this time.
    I would rather cancel quests than push people to complete them, and refuse to kick anyone just because they 'can't keep up'.
    I've seen this happen in other guilds, and it's a horrible thing to witness. Nobody should be forced into this, and a simple opt-out would work wonders, assuming all the numerous other things wrong with these get sorted.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    As I said .. we were more than clear that the guild was formed to do the guild tasks. We paid the entry. All we asked was that ppl logged on once a day .. not 24/7. It was not a case of guild quests coming in so booting people to make it easier, the guild expanded from its original 3 members who just wanted a chat room specifically do do the guild quests. Cant be clearer than that .... If you wish to carry ppl in your guild that do not talk, help or contribute in any way that's up to you and I will not say you should not do that.

This is really getting off subject now tho, someone explain to the OP the complexities of coding his opt out into the game.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuttymut View Post
    Summary

Guild quests are proving to be divisive within our guild.

The Maths
    • Assumes a player purchases gems at £9.99 for 4000
    • A Jolly Geologist costs 300 gems or 75p to purchase
    • A player needs to complete 34 guild quests to buy a Jolly Geologist with Guild Coins
    • It is highly improbable that any normal guild will complete one guild quest per day - such guilds are more likely to be full of obssessives ;-)
    Common Sense
    • Most players will do the guild quest when they want to
    • Some guild quests involve doing an adventure - a player could be in another adventure when this arrives - thus delaying that players response time
    • It's probable that there's an imbalance between effort and reward dependant upon the individuals perception
    Solution
    • Allow players to opt in or out of guild quests
    • Only opted in players can receive guild coins
    When ours was working we were managing to complete it every day as it uses the previous days activity for how many need to complete the guild quest to receive the reward, personnally i thought this was done well by BB since it rewards activity rather than just having lots of members (if i never removed inactives my guild would be 30+ peeps but i'd rather have 15 active members)

Reply to Thread