Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lags at horrible levels now

Battle Hardened Contributor Jamdoggy's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    A lot of lag is to do with the player's PC and internet connection speed. I'm on a dual-core PC running Windows 7, but I suffer from appaling lag, and often lose connection to chat. When this happens, however, I can often hear my PC hard-drive going nuts as it tries to swap stuff about in 'Virtual Memory' because it's run out of physical memory.

Of course, TSO is a pretty huge flash-based game - so there is a lot of information for your PC to move about. You therefore need a fairly decent PC to be able to run it effectively. Anything older that 3-4 years old (unless it was a high-end gaming machine) and it will begin to struggle.

I'm planning on grabbing 4Gb more physical memory for my PC - I believe that this should make a huge difference to the game. I'll let you know...

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    Rather extensive as a result of over 3 decades gaming. I have about a dozen different browsers I use depending on which operating system I boot into. Obviously there are going to be browsers for popular operating systems which I don't use for example Apple products & Android just to name two.

My point which you appeared to have missed was a request for a list of approved browsers, not a list of browsers which could be used. Now I could fire up the old Amiga 1200 and try playing the game on that, I know enough to get that to work, I'm wise enough to know that would be a very painfully laggy thing to do. No I'm not going to repeat the same futile experiment with a ZX Spectrum
    Thats an opinion not a reference ..... I blame the server myself. Each to his own theory tho....

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamdoggy View Post
    A lot of lag is to do with the player's PC and internet connection speed. I'm on a dual-core PC running Windows 7, but I suffer from appaling lag, and often lose connection to chat. When this happens, however, I can often hear my PC hard-drive going nuts as it tries to swap stuff about in 'Virtual Memory' because it's run out of physical memory.

Of course, TSO is a pretty huge flash-based game - so there is a lot of information for your PC to move about. You therefore need a fairly decent PC to be able to run it effectively. Anything older that 3-4 years old (unless it was a high-end gaming machine) and it will begin to struggle.

I'm planning on grabbing 4Gb more physical memory for my PC - I believe that this should make a huge difference to the game. I'll let you know...
    There are SOME situations where you can blame internet connection and PC, but this is rarely the case nowadays. BB's comments on their work to improve lags is just one piece of proof to that - they can only do things on their side, they can't fix my connection or upgrade my PC. And most MMO publishers have periodic lag issues, and many of them are often very open about it.

My old PC has an AMD X2 5600+ CPU, 4 gigs of RAM, some 512 mb GPU. I bought a new PC a few months ago: i5-3570k CPU (quad core), 16 GB RAM (1866 mhz), XFX Radeon HD 7950 (3 GB VRAM!!!), SSD harddrive, etc. I also have a laptop I bought in August 2011, not sure about the specifics, only know it's an ASUS with some intel CPU and 6 GB RAM.

So, my old PC isn't much to brag about these days. But my new one is a monster compared to my old one.

The point: I've noticed absolutely no difference at all on these PCs, when it comes to playing this game. So it has NOTHING to do with my PCs.

And about my internet connection:

As I said, EVERYTHING else works fine. For example, I have a constant 52-55ms latency in WoW - you don't get that kind of numbers if there are the slightest problems.

Blame me and my PCs, connection, whatever, all you want, but you are WRONG.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    I cant logg: zone error

Friends cant visit my isle: zone error

i blame BB

and prolly by time i can logg my mines are empty and BB blames technical issues

Its beta and with pro's at BB it will stay forever beta as its such a handy shielding argument

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Rather extensive as a result of over 3 decades gaming. I have about a dozen different browsers I use depending on which operating system I boot into. Obviously there are going to be browsers for popular operating systems which I don't use for example Apple products & Android just to name two.

My point which you appeared to have missed was a request for a list of approved browsers, not a list of browsers which could be used. Now I could fire up the old Amiga 1200 and try playing the game on that, I know enough to get that to work, I'm wise enough to know that would be a very painfully laggy thing to do. No I'm not going to repeat the same futile experiment with a ZX Spectrum
    Actually, the A1200's architecture was designed to take such things in its stride, unlike IBM clones and their dodgy interrupt system. Fit one with an 060/PPC board and you're laughing.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    The new update turned things from bad to worse, at least for me. I'll continue using SotV as an example to explain:

On the last attack, you need 6 gens for a full block/attack. When I was sure the block was not going to work, due to the ususal delays, I called back all 6 gens. 4 of them (all the blockers) wouldn't retreat, but went on with the attack. So I was sitting here getting more and more frustrated over the upcoming losses, while watching the battle animations, then something weird happened: suddenly there was no battle, and all gens were in their garrisons. It's like the server finally caught up with my retreats, 2-3 minutes after I clicked the white flags.

Just one example on how the lags are now, there are plenty more. Like when trying to buff a few buildings - nothing happens for over a minute, then all are buffed at the same time, etc.

So, BB. What exactly are you doing to improve this game? I really have to ask, because lags are getting worse and worse, and the "improvements" we got, isn't improving much, considering all the bugs and the fact that promised fixes are not fixed at all. Read the feedback forum for more about that, but you're well aware of the situation, no doubt.

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland
    same here lag is back takes forever to change troops and blocking not going to that for some time now.. The "old" version of the game was much better when it comes to lag

World
    Newfoundland

Unfortunately, this is nonsense. Playing games for however long does not necessarily give you any insight in how they actually work. This issue is very clearly and obviously the result of server-side lag. The issues arise whenever the client needs a response from the server. Look at the time it takes for a building to show up in your build queue. Or a buff to show up on a building. Or a general to leave camp. These issues all arise whenever a response is needed from the server.

The same is the case for generals moving across the map. It's server-side logic because letting the client control that kind of stuff would make no sense. Your generals would stop moving if your browser closed, or flash crashed. This is obviously not the case.

To everyone: Please don't go out and buy new ram, a new processor or a new graphics card for this. It won't make a difference. It will likely make your animations a bit smoother, but it won't fix the jumpy general, since this is an issue that arises when the client tries to show the general where the server says he should be, and receives odd data. I play from my mid-range work computer with on-board graphics and a Pentium2 dual core processor and 1gb ram. I also play from home on a gaming rig with an i7 sandy bridge processor, 12gb of ram and a nvidia GTX 580 graphics card. Lastly, I occasionally visit my mother and play on her ultrabook HP envy, with an i5 processor and 8gb of ram. This problem is universal across all these setups. The issue is server-side.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Totally agree EctoRune, the problems are almost all server-side.
    We didn't experience this kind of lag before, when there were many more active players. There was a clear drop in performance on a particular update last year, after this maintenance, communication with the server noticeably became longer.
    Playing on other servers, another has suffered a similar hit to ours yet before was one of the best responding versions to play on, whereas another has had frequent tweaks after complaints, after which it noticeably improves again. No prizes for guessing which language server that is!
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    One thing I have noticed this last week which I don't recall seeing before the last update is constant calls to facebook to verify your login while in game.

Reply to Thread