Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 47 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 24 ... LastLast

Thread: Four Winds Quest

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Thought better warn those doing this quest where it says PRODUCE 250 SETTLERS it doesnt mean out of bread it means wait until they arrive. Leave yourself time for this as even with a love potion gonna take a while

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Okay,
    so I haven't had a single piece of granite in my last 10+ adventures.

Not gonna blow like 3000 coins on Bandit's nest only to find my streak just increased by 1.
    I can buy a watermill cheaper than I can do Bandit's Nest.
    If the quest was merely completing the adventures, I would be tempted to do the quest - despite the stretch this thing is on my budget.

But given my luck, I might be spending 20000+ coins (which I don't have, anyways) before I get the required granite reward.

Well, if the quest did not have a timer, it might actually be possible.
    The timer makes things worse since I don't have time to play 24/7. I can play on the weekend, and the odd 15 minutes during the week.
    As today is already the last day of the weekend, I cannot even churn up the troops for BN, much less complete the adventure.
    My next chance is in 6 days, close to the end of the quest.

Like it is, I call it "Poor design. Yet another FAIL".

Soz.
    Good idea, poorly implemented.

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    On another note, to be constructive:

1. Quest lines should be FUN, not HARDCORE WORK. As such, tremendously reduce the difficulty level.
    With this, I mean: If you want people to do adventures, okay. Even an adventure like Outlaws ist OK.
    But putting in adventures that are extremely difficult to obtain by normal means (such as Bandit's Nest or Motherly Love) , and then also putting in constraints on how to complete them, you're overdoing it.
    You should have done some of the easy-to-obtain adventures that are abundant and not in high demand, such as Victor the Viscious or Sons of the Veld and then been done without any form of constraint.
    By putting in these "special" adventures, you're introducing an element of chance that shouldn't be there (if you had the adventure before the event, cool - otherwise SOL) - and not everyone has 1000 map fragments sitting around, either.
    If you really want people to do these adventures, then at least make it like the Christmas adventure that they are obtained as part of the quest (and re-obtained if failed).

2. Quest lines should reward those who are dedicated, not those who are LUCKY.
    TSO usually has only a moderate element of luck, but a big element of tactics and strategy.
    I (probably others as well) have quit other MMO's because I tend to be disproportionately unlucky.
    If you do not want to lose players over stuff like this, please remove the element of chance.

3. Quests should be possible for everyone.
    The way the quest is currently implemented, you pretty much must play a few hours every single day in the 2-weeks period to have even a remote chance to complete it.
    Please think of the working people with family (e.g. those who are most likely to pay money for the game anyways) before putting some stumbling block in their way.
    EITHER - dramatically reduce the amount of time consumed in the quest
    OR - remove the timer of the quest completely so that it can stay there for a couple months without forcing us to engage all the time.
    Last edited by Sharpielein; 03.03.13 at 11:21.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    I'm all for new things since I think there's too little variation in this game, and I'm also all for a challange, since I think most quests are too easy. After looking at this quest chain I decided to complete step 4 (I'm lvl41) since the granite reward made the loss in previous steps worth it. I will do bandit nest at least one time since I've never done it before and I might get lucky. But there the fun stops for me.

If it was a longer timeframe or not random for the last adventure I would probably do them all. But I'm not going to build a LB maker and produce 500 LB men that I just will use as cannon fodder instead of cheaper bowmen and which I would barely be able to fit in my 2000 residence limit when I might not even get the final reward due to the random factor.

As for PVP that's not a valid argument since we know neither how it will work or when it will arrive, and for most players that don't buy gems licences is a very limited resource.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    For lvls 16-25, last task is: Pay 500 pinewood planks, mine 150 stone (?). Reward: 100 bronze swords...
    You will have to earn that 150 stones through short treasure search, not mine them. So make sure your explorers are not doing anything before this one.
    Hope this helps.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    I am an ex-game developer. One of the fundamental rules of developing a game is to not have progress determined by random factors or chance - by including granite drops from explorer searches and from adventures in the quest chain BB has broken this fundamental rule. That is simply unforgiveable from professional game developers.

The error is compounded by the short time limit on the event, making it even more amateurish - a time limit on a quest that is effectively random as to whether it can be completed!

I have cancelled the quest chain and I suggest anyone sane does the same, because the resource cost and frustration of doing repeated tasks without any certainty of success are simply not worth it.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLurker View Post
    I am an ex-game developer. One of the fundamental rules of developing a game is to not have progress determined by random factors or chance - by including granite drops from explorer searches and from adventures in the quest chain BB has broken this fundamental rule. That is simply unforgiveable from professional game developers.

The error is compounded by the short time limit on the event, making it even more amateurish - a time limit on a quest that is effectively random as to whether it can be completed!

I have cancelled the quest chain and I suggest anyone sane does the same, because the resource cost and frustration of doing repeated tasks without any certainty of success are simply not worth it.
    +1

I'm only doing the chain so I can justify my similar opinion

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Wish BB could consider extend the deadline time a bit so we can enjoy the game without having to stress to complete this in time. Otherwise I like the challenge

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Well i am level 37. First 3 quest i done quite easely now i am doing quest Allience i will spent/loose a lot of troops and as i know for next quest i need to done advanture Bandit Nest. Omg how can i rebuild my troops soo fast if event last only 14 days?!?!Well be more realistic devoleper with this time limiting and level demanding. Hope for better version of next Events.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I have to have a 2nd thought about completing this quest. Still trapped on Strong advice. My explorer have not found any granite, and yes I'm doing it rigth. I even bought a 2nd explorer, what a waste of coins.

Why was this never tested on test, as the other events have been.
    Last edited by Sauron666; 03.03.13 at 12:42.

Reply to Thread