Reply to Thread

Thread: Should you build recruits once you can build militia?

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Should you build recruits once you can build militia?

Once I can build militia, is there any reason I'd bother with recruits anymore? Is there any need to retain my bronze weaponsmith, or should I pull it down to get the licence back and use the copper just for making tools?

I'm sure the same question could be asked again once I am able to build the next better type of unit. In general, is there any good reason for keeping a mixed army, or should you just recruit the best, and retain only the production needed for them?

World
    Newfoundland
    It takes a lot fewer resources to build Recruits, so a lot of players use this and ramp up the production of Recruits to be used as "cannon fodder"

My advice would be leave the Bronze Weaponsmith for now, and then make a judgement call if you are stockpiling bronze swords later on that are going unused
    I'm more than likely working right now.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    The game is currently very unbalanced. Recruits are SO cheap and quick to make compared to other units that it's essentially a no-brainer to keep churning out the recruits to send to the wolves (literally and figuratively) and kill the stronger units only where you really need to.

The only downside of that, as you point out, is your copper production is limited to just six mines, but it just about seems to work out OK.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    recruits are the main units of your army. all the other units you usually avoid to lose as they are way more expensive to produce.
    all adventure guides are made up around losing mostly recruits while saving your more expensive units as much as possible.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    On certain camps in some adventures, swapping some of the recruits for militia can finish a battle a round earlier, with a bit of luck. Witch of the Swamp has one like this. Trouble with militia is they are not much better than recruits, yet cost so much more to produce. A lot of people skipped them altogether and went straight for soldiers.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Thanks all for the advice. Sounds like I should read some of the adventure guides as well. I have no real idea of how the combat system actually works (I mean I view the replays, but don't really follow the nuances).

World
    Newfoundland
    Guides are good, and help you get a real feeling for the way the battle system works.
    But, you can always adapt to your own playing style, many of us do things quite differently either for fun, or adapting to what's available.

For instance, I always bulldoze camp 15 on SotV, it saves me having to risk 4 different blocks when the server is messing things up. Cost me an extra 110R and 7 Soldiers, but 4x generals didn't have to wait 4 hours to recover.
    We love our new CM.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Perhaps the other way around? Destroy your iron weaponsmith instead of the bronze one.

So far the only fight where I needed militia, was the final one in my home zone (the one with Wild Mary). Wild Mary is too rough for recruits. But, this fight could also have been done with more soldiers of course. And, from what I read, Wild Mary is about the worst you will find out there.

Any high level player perhaps confirming that the iron weaponsmith is neither needed later on in the game?

Same question for bowmaker and longbow maker. Your not using your bowmen as cannonfodder; you have recruits for it. So, why produce bows?
    Last edited by Stecker78; 07.06.13 at 19:52.

World
    Newfoundland
    Oh Stecker, you're in for a shock with some of the adventures then.
    Sure you could go 'all soldier', but the same jump in production cost applies again.
    Still, it remains a matter of choice, play how you want to, guides are just that, guides, they're not mandatory.
    We love our new CM.

Reply to Thread