Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Trees gone crazy....

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    Just so Hairy.
    And on another note, don't build two separate pine plantations if you want a lot of pine to avoid coal mines as I do (boy I hate coal mining). The foresters will spend half their time pointlessly traipsing between the two to replant one leaf....

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    @Fexno: I always thought I was just imagining things. Apparently not...it's a problem for everybody.
    To be added as one of the bigger issues to your famous bug-overview?
    Last edited by MrBranch; 02.08.13 at 20:48.

World
    Sandycove
    [Threads merged]

Cheers,
    Fexno
    Last edited by Fexno; 01.08.13 at 18:00.

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Hairy View Post
    Tree stumps appearing is the simplest/best way to tell if you're not planting enough trees, since the economy view cannot be trusted on tree numbers.
    This x1000.

Many of the players who have been here a while had to do it this way as we had no economy overview.

World
    Sandycove

For those readers of the thread that I merged in.

I've done some research on pinewood forresters and I would expect that hardwood forrested do the same thing.
    For me this was the obvious conclusion, but it might be you guys have a different issue I can't reproduce.

Quote Originally Posted by Fexno View Post
    What is happening is that the production of a forrester is set to 0 in the economy overview when all deposits are full. I'm not saying that this is a feature or a bug, it just is.

To help people getting a somewhat more useful result from the economy overview I suggested to turn some forresters off for a while. This will indeed lead to deposits going empty, but that is just the point. As long as your forresters are able to fill up deposits you have a usefull figure in your economy overview. It will still go up and down a bit, but within normal bounds.

So if you don't want to shutdown your forresters... don't... but you'll have to accept you can't use the economy overview for usefull information about the forresters, at least untill they'll change it again.

They changed the workings of the economy view because the community requested that upgrading buildings would not count towards the production in the economy overview. I'm guessing that the easiest way to implement that feature was to just ignore all building that are not doing anything at that moment. Unfortunately that has the side effect that the forrester production will do what it does now.

With wheat and coal I can only imagine that it is caused by collapsing fields and mines. Whatever I tried my economyview stayed within the limits I would expect. (even with 1 wheatfield somewhere in the middle of the island and none of my farms close)

While I'm not sure it can be classified as a bug, it's certainly an unwanted feature, so I will be referring to this thread in my
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBranch View Post
    famous bug-overview

Cheers,
    Fexno
    Last edited by Fexno; 01.08.13 at 18:09. Reason: wood == would ;)

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexno View Post

What is happening is that the production of a forrester is set to 0 in the economy overview when all deposits are full. I'm not saying that this is a feature or a bug, it just is.
    I can believe that's true. (Although I can't verify it as my foresters are permanently busy lately.)

I'm not sure how software could be made to make meaningful calculations while there are redundant foresters, other than maybe using those foresters' last meaningful readings of trees/12hrs...

Still, if just 1 forester was detected as being redundant, that would mean there are more than enough trees being planted, in which case trees in eco view could say "MAX" and be highlighted green instead of red, & that green having a knock-on effect up the production chains...

It would stop sustainable, log-dependent produce from being incorrectly yellowed in the eco view.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Can't imagine so either, simply because you can check the production of all individual forresters easily. I've never seen one at 0.
    Besides, buffing of a building with production 0 is still 0. But, buffing does improve production.

But, I'm not saying it's not true. Perhaps deep down, the system calculates how often per 12 hours the deposits will be full and take this into account in the calculation. This is a very perhaps, those calculations would be very complex.

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    I just stopped all my pine cutters & fish buffed my foresters. They are all saying "Total production time: N/A" and trees in my economy view are showing grey zero, so redundant foresters are counted as planting zero trees / 12 hrs.
    Last edited by Hairy; 02.08.13 at 21:54. Reason: colour fail

World
    Sandycove
    Some screenshots to show the "unbelievers" .

I start with 1 sleeping cutter and 3 active (and manned) forresters. And all deposits are filled.

The economy view looks like this (notice the 0 at the forresters production)

Now to double check let's put our cutter to work, the economy view immediately changes to:

If we wait till the cutter actually removes a tree from the deposits, the economy view changes to:

When the deposit is refilled it changes to:

The actual amount of forresters you see going to 0 depends on how synchronized their cycles are. If all have the exact same cycle they will be 0 at the exact same time, otherwise you just have to wait till a point in time where the cutter is still removing the tree and all forresters have finished a refill cycle.

The forrester with a production of 0 shows this in its building details:

The 12h calculation is very simple. Just take the current production of each forrester, in the case that all foresters are refilling:
    1 refill per 3:31 -> 204 refills per 12 hours
    1 refill per 3:15 -> 221 refills per 12 hours
    Total refills per 12 hours: 629

The moment one of the forresters doesn't have anything to do the 12h production changes
    1 refill per 3:15 -> nothing to do so 0 instead of 221 refills per 12 hours
    Total refills per 12 hours: 408
    Last edited by Fexno; 02.08.13 at 22:00.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Great pictures, great explanation....but this has nothing to do with believing production can't be 0.
    I'm simply not believing it has anything to do with it.

I have 11 cutters; producing together around 11.250.
    I have 14 forresters; producing together around 9925.

That's going down with more than 1200 each 12 hours. This means; there will never ever be a situation when all deposits are full. That is also why none of my forresters ever displayed a 0.
    But....then why am I not seeing more and more trees disappearing? I'm not even seeing one single cut tree spot.

Reply to Thread