Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: I've hit the wall....

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    re your adventures were you keep losing lots of men try using the the combat simulator guide (open another tab and search google for it) here you can find adventure you want and put your own men in and it will give you quite accurate losses play around with your amounts makes it much easier and less losses for yourself.
    hope this makes sense

EWiggin
    Of course, It may be that you're just not gonna be happy with organic progress and you need to pay BB some money for gems... I did so because I wanted my island to look like my settlers lands from previous PC versions. I'd have lost heart otherwise. When I looked at the time I spent on the game, it did not seem expensive...
    However it goes, I hope it works out for you )

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Hi EWiggin,
    I'm not sure it's really a question of 'organic progress'.

In fact, it seems an exercise in almost Luddism. After all, the lesson is not to progress to higher weapon systems. They may be there, but don't use them.
    If like me you grab at any chance for technological advancement and then have at 'em, you simply come apart.

Instead it's a game of efficiencies. The player is expected to adhere to the most efficient means of production and military delivery.
    So if every longbow requires 8 units of hardwood in production, it's simply not efficient to deploy longbowmen. Even if you can.
    As a novice to the Settlers game i didn't see that coming at all.
    In games like civilisation or totalwar (my usual playgrounds) technological advances are to be embraced, immediately.
    Here the aim of the game is in fact to resist the temptation to develop. Not merely is it advisable to stay in the bronze age when it comes to fighting, but expending resources on developing production facilities for higher technologies is merely a drain on resources for which there is no payback in profit.
    For example when gold production become available, I lept at it. It required huge resources but by hook or by crook I got the whole production line together.
    Only eventually to realise it was sheer folly.
    I know the advice is, talk to people. But as a whole my friends were not that chatty. So it was largely learning by doing.
    One can comprehend the technology tree and the internal workings of the game on one's own. But I for one just didn't pick up on the underlying philosophy of 'less is more'.
    I can only imagine that the great bulk of people here either have experience of previous versions of Settlers games, or have partaking in other online games of a similar nature and are thus familiar with the correct approach from the outset.
    Or else I am just particularly idiotic. It's possible.

Anyway, Why all this thinking aloud and rambling on? Well, I've been to visit my settlement, ticked this, buffed that. And there's nothing else to do.
    In fact for the last two days or so there's been nothing else to do. One is just waiting for resources to build up, so one can sell or update, and then wait some more...

Call it 'organic waiting' if you like...

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    Longbows are not worth producing at all. Just buy them from Trade Office. Higher level people get thousands of longbows as rewards and have absolutely no use for them, so they're sold far cheaper than the production cost would be. Same applies to many other things too, so compare shop price vs production price.

Gold production is commonly considered something one should avoid too early. I can't agree with that. As long as you run gold mines, smelters and coinages with buffs only, they're profitable. On the other hand, they're never anything far superior to other productions. Mining copper or marble for sale can get you just as much profit as gold chain. Your level makes no difference. Buffs are the key in gold production. Buff for 9h before you go to sleep, rebuff when you wake up and stop them when you get back from work. All the rebuilding of mines, buffing them and shutting them down takes effort. If you're up for it, gold production is quite good profit. If you don't like living your life around buff timers, don't touch gold production. Finally, if you're mining gold, use level 2 mines and demolish them just before they're about to collapse for 25% building materials returned. You can earn 50+ gold coins worth of goods in profit per day per gold mine just from doing that.

Settlers has been balanced around near exponential price increase of better troops, with linear increase in quality. As a result, every time any other unit than recruit dies, you should ask yourself whether there's a better way. Using combat simulator (like settlersonlinetools.com/en/combat_simulator/) to try out what works is highly recommended. Lazy people would go for following a guide blindly, but what's the point of playing a game if all you do is follow exact orders for months and not decide anything yourself. In either case, if you see a skull on enemy camp, it almost always means you'll want to use 2 or more waves of attacks. Often first wave is aimed to take out the problem units of the enemy army. See 50 guard dogs there, not protected by other troops? They prevent you from bringing your cavalries or ranged units along, so sending 60-70 recruits to take them out first can be a huge saving in troops as then your cavalry and archers can help sweep out rest with ease. Sometimes even if single wave is enough to kill all enemies, two waves is cheaper due to guard dogs or other problem units. As my final combat tip: it pays off to know exactly how combat works. There's very little randomness to it in the end.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Hey, you can add me ingame if you want. I would gladly help you out getting on your feet.

World
    Newfoundland
    For a start, following a guide isn't lazy. It's smart, especially when you're just starting out. When you get to level 50 and you've got nothing to do but sit twiddling your thumbs, then you can start looking for your own troop configurations. Smarter and cheaper that way.

The higher level units do pay off but mainly in higher level adventures. Nobody in their right mind would sacrifice a soldier when they could sacrifice a much cheaper recruit. The mistake a lot of people make is 'binning' the lower level troops when they gain access to better troops. This is not how an army works. You need to balance troops of all levels to build a successful army.

It sounds as if you have quite a low population which you need to address, or you'll never have a big enough army to succeed. Now you get 100 gems a week for logging in, you can buy a noble residence that you can upgrade to level 3 without using gold and it will hold 50 settlers. It also won't use a licence to build. Or you could save up your gems for 7 weeks and buy yourself 10 licences, which really are invaluable. If you have any extra resources you can sell, then do so and try to buy lootspots on other peoples adventures. It's a much cheaper way of adventuring and you get valuable loot, while saving your own troops and resources. If you get loot you do not need, you can sell it on the TO for more gc for more lootspots.

It's been a long time since I was a low level player, but I do remember production stalls along the way. Even at higher levels. These are challenges that you must figure out how to overcome. Ask yourself if you really do need stone masons or is it better to buy stone for a few coins when you need it?

My final piece of advice is from bitter experience. Never ever, no matter how broke you are, sell your granite. EVER. Even if you think it only sits there gathering dust and could bring you a tidy pile of gold coins, do not give in to temptation! It is way, way too valuable to your island later down the line to sell for a few paltry coins. If you get granite from loot, give yourself a high 5 and forget about it.

It's a shame you're on a different server or I could come have a look at your island to see if you could improve it. But I hope that fellow Northislians who read your post are willing to give you ingame help and advice, and that you are getting buffed every day. Buffs are so important and can make the difference between a red EO and a pile of gold coins from selling excess resources.
    It's not my fault that I never learned to take responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggis View Post
    The Germans have 3x gem happy hour..... we have an Alpaca!

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Icegirl View Post
    For a start, following a guide isn't lazy. It's smart, especially when you're just starting out. When you get to level 50 and you've got nothing to do but sit twiddling your thumbs, then you can start looking for your own troop configurations. Smarter and cheaper that way.
    This!

Reply to Thread