Reply to Thread
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 26 34 35 36 37 38 46 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] 20th Anniversary!

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyBarbara View Post
    I was highly amused to read - via Google translate - the following from the German forum:

The bold is mine as I simply cannot believe that BB can be so stupid as to blame the weather. If any want to read the original it is on page 17 of http://forum.diesiedleronline.de/thr...l=1#post874900
    Yeah, I read that one too and thought it was hilarious. There is also an explanation later on about why 200% is approximate and is considered to be 'gold'.

Aunt Irma’s Favourite Writer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyBarbara View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BB_Pandur
    Also, please note that the achievement of 200% should definitely have a certain difficulty.
    That to me is nothing but a confession that they changed the number of balloons needed for a percentage after reaching 100%.
    If they hadn't changed anything, too many servers (including Newfoundland+Sandycove) would have reached 200%.

In day 3 of the race, when we had already surpassed 30%,
    there was a discussion in Global-4 on NFL about how many days it would take to reach 200%.
    Going at the same speed, we estimated it to take just a little more than 2 weeks.

However, soon we started to see how the growth in percentages for all servers was steady up till the point when they reached 100%,
    but immediately after that, as if struck by lighting, every team and server decided to reduce their balloon donations by 75-80%.

Even if everyone would have stopped building wells at the moment 100% was reached,
    it would still have taken some 3-4 days for all those extra wells to dry out after that point.
    The strong excess water production that everyone had built up, wouldn't have worn off in such a short time.

Lost of interest also cannot explain why Germany 1 suddenly stopped making balloons when they reached 100%,
    allowing all other german servers to almost catch up when they also reached 100%.

At one point, shortly after Germany 1 reached 100%, all top teams were suddenly within a few percentages again.
    Could THAT have been a reason for ALL of them to stop playing and to enjoy the summer instead?

Look, we've almost caught the top team in the competition. Maybe we have a chance to beat them to 150% after all...
    Now when it's this tight again, why don't we all stop playing and start enjoying the nice weather instead?
    Of course not, neither weather, nor any loss in interest can explain the distinct changes in accumulated balloons,
    and to be equally distinct for all teams in the competition at the very point when they reached those 100%.

For BB_Pandur to blame the weather and loss of interest is nothing but a slap in our faces.
    Does BlueByte really think that we are THAT stupid? I find it rather repulsive.
    Last edited by Tage; 19.07.13 at 22:44.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Tage View Post
    That to me is nothing but a confession that they changed the number of balloons needed for a percentage after reaching 100%.
    If they hadn't changed anything, too many servers (including Newfoundland+Sandycove) would have reached 200%.

In day 3 of the race, when we had already surpassed 30%,
    there was a discussion in Global-4 on NFL about how many days it would take to reach 200%.
    Going at the same speed, we estimated it to take just a little more than 2 weeks.
    A similar discussion took place in chat on Sandycove and a similar conclusion was reached on when we would reach 200%. Maybe we are all just not very good at maths.....

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    I was in the BB ain't moving the goalposts crowd but since last weekend oh so convenient ranking table break down and our apparent lack of performance since. I decided to verify the numbers on a system which has been has been developed over the last half a billion years, i.e. my fingers. My conclusion is that BB are best described by a legal term which Germans in particular will find most abhorrent due to their history over the last 300 years.

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Sto_Helit View Post
    A similar discussion took place in chat on Sandycove and a similar conclusion was reached on when we would reach 200%. Maybe we are all just not very good at maths.....
    or maybe BB is incompetent at maths ...

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottlecap View Post
    or maybe BB is incompetent at maths ...
    hmmm, yeah, the devs are clever enough to release 20 years worth of settlers games but cannot calculate that 200% is twice 100% and that 1% is 1% wether you have reached 30% or 199%. there is no excuse for 1% to vary in value, at al!!

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    Hope you are still looking BB... Note the current battle between two teams to reach the '200%' mark (which we all know isn't a percentage at all). It's really close. Really exciting for the players on those servers to see which of them makes it first. Now, imagine BB that you had managed to balance this event the way you said you were going to and we had lots of servers battling closely. It would have been great, but you blew it because you teamed up the servers so badly. Instead of all that excitement right now, all we are doing is watching a couple of German servers and going 'meh'.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Originally Posted in BB International Press Release (Dev Diary):

The amount of balloons required depends on the economic output of your server. The leader board will take into account the economic output of each server; relative to its amount of active players. This should guarantee a fair competition, no matter how old or young game worlds are.

Here is a simple example that explains it:
    Game world X launched a long time ago and has a very strong economy.
    Game world Y started a few months ago and does not have as strong economy X
    Game world Z started just a few weeks ago so it barely had time to con[s]truct an economy.
    Result: Game world X will work alone. Worlds Y and Z will work together and their results will merge.
    This way, everyone will get a fair chance to win.

(emphasis added)
    Unfortunately this apparently good intention was implemented so poorly and such emphasis seems to have been placed on keeping languages grouped rather than the numbers that were supposed to be used to balance us all and ensure fairness and a proper game/race for everyone that instead we have this: Thank you for the fair server grouping and this:

Quote Originally Posted by BobLurker View Post
    Note the current battle between two teams to reach the '200%' mark (which we all know isn't a percentage at all). It's really close. Really exciting for the players on those servers to see which of them makes it first. Now, imagine BB that you had managed to balance this event the way you said you were going to and we had lots of servers battling closely.
    .net (USA) is an obvious exception to the benefit of a shared language/forum but as they were not told Phase 2 was even due to start until hours after it had already begun I can easily understand a certain sense of apathy on their side. That huge numbers of players there and in Instances worldwide decided to give it their all and carry their servers to "100%" (Bronze) and beyond in spite of this and the many other obstacles and reams of misinformation present is just one of many reasons BB would do well to make an effort to raise their own view of their global community, at the moment The Powers do not always seem to have a very high regard for the Players.

While I do not and have not believed BB 'rigged the event' so .de would win there certainly have been numerous occurrences of what looks very like favouritism and this has done nothing at all to foster the sense of healthy competition an event like this ought to inspire. Rather it has, in many cases, caused a great deal of bad feeling and much text has been spent in many chats and on many fora taking unwarranted swings at other servers. While the expressions of irritation were misdirected the reasoning and feelings behind them are entirely understandable and I believe much of this could have easily been avoided had BB given a little actual thought to appearances in things like the stunningly inappropriate server-limited and ill-timed x3 gem sale.

Having survived the 'Mayan' Wars with all their absurd difficulties and somehow weathered the jaw dropping final BB International Announcement that:

Originally Posted in [Ubi Official] End of the World Competition Rankings:

What we found is that the high ranked game worlds used explorers and found many additional adventures this way.

(emphasis added)
    I can still comfortably say that while EotW was a planning disaster the ball has been dropped harder and more often in this current event than I'd ever imagined possible. One of the most frustrating things I think is that the Birthday Event did look great on paper and I and many others renewed our faith and were honestly excited to play. And then... it began.

Regarding:

Even the beautiful weather that has finally found its way, in my eyes is one reason that fewer players are online and producing balloons.

See: Summer did it!
    While it seems clear this was a wild grasp at the nearest frail straw it is still so awkward, unfortunate and downright silly all I can think to say is:

BB/UBI are clearly quite capable of making good games, good enough at least to keep all of us playing. That we must often choose to play this much loved game in spite of all the problems rather than being able to celebrate a grand success for both Powers and Players is, once again, terribly frustrating. Settlers players are, to a great degree, a devoted lot and go a long way toward making the game as enjoyable as it often is. The worldwide community is a grand one and, put simply, the Players deserve better from Those On High.
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 21.07.13 at 01:02.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Just wanted to add my voice to the chorus of disappointment.

I feel this event has left an even worse opinion than the failed worlds end. Some servers had zero chance in the worlds end event and because of that event BB announced they had came up with a solution to make this one fairer. Turns out that was a false promise and nothing at all was different from the first global competition . All these types of events do is make some servers feel less important/valued/worthwhile.
    Now we are near the end of the event , I can honestly say I would rather had not celebrated the brands birthday . You would have had less negative sentiment if you had just made the celebration exclusive to your core/important servers and left the rest of us to plod through the summer oblivious to any event.

To follow up such a great event at Easter with this damp squib has got me wondering how many players will still be here for the next event.

Final thought for the day - how many times does a simple graphical representation of progress need to break down before you start to think they got the chuckle brothers to do the coding?

To me - To you - To me

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    BB stop spamming my star menu with balloons!

These patches under 100 units are making me crazy!

It's very clear that so small patches have any affect to this event, so why you spam me with them?
    Born crying. Live complaining. Die disappointed.

Reply to Thread