Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Making Events Opt-in?

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove

Making Events Opt-in?

After seeing what feels like a large number of people complaining that they don't want to do this event or that event because 'it's a waste of time', 'it's a waste of resources', 'it's pointless' and other similar reasons, I wondered if it was possible to make some events optional: so that you could choose to play the event or ignore it and just get on with quietly building wells, fields, mines and stockpiling gold coins. Everyone who accepts the invitation to the event would be expected to do the challenges, and would probably be more motivated if they knew that only people that wanted to do it were involved.
    Last edited by Sto_Helit; 28.06.13 at 23:25.

World
    Northisle
    +1

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Newfoundland
    All events are optional. If you don't want to take part just ignore the quests till the event is finished.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD_Vixen01 View Post
    All events are optional. If you don't want to take part just ignore the quests till the event is finished.
    Agreed, but it's a bit annoying when we are supposed to be working together as a server if others are not pulling their weight. It can cause friction in the chats.

Town Councillor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD_Vixen01 View Post
    Being an active user who does not want to do the event would still mean they are counted in the end tally up. So by not having an opt out function they are in fact dragging the server back. If you could opt out then that person would have nothing to do with the event and not count towards the end score.

Just lets say for arguement sake there is 5000 active people on newfoundland

only 2000 people want to take part and will take part they then need to do more than double the balloons to cover the 3000 not wanting to take part.

if them 3000 could simply opt out then it would be scored against just the 2000 who wanted to do it and will do it that would be fair.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    No ones forcing you to participate and you can cancel the event quests from your quest book i believe, I've donated around 27k worth of baloons in total, more than some, less than others but my server (uk2 Northisle) just hit 100% so we're all going to get some free stuff now that i'm sure the non participants will gladly accept without making any noise whatsoever

just think, if you opt out you wont get all the goodies that the rest of your server do, i couldn't do eotw because of my low level but i still took the rewards the rest of the server earnt, now this time i can donate the resources and others will benefit from my efforts
    Last edited by veganbot; 29.06.13 at 13:58.

Town Councillor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Vegan what I am trying to say is the score is worked out on amount of active players so all the active players who do not participate make it that much harder for all the ones that do. So an opt out function should be a must. Event quests cannot be cancelled only the dailys can.

World
    Newfoundland
    opt in is great, then the percentages like this 20yr event will be based on those attempting the event, not everyone registered or so called active accounts. much fairer.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    I was basing my suggestion on the similar situation where you may have 'active' guild members who haven't completed guild quests but still get the rewards for the effort of the rest of the guild. I think this can be a source of resentment when people feel they are 'carrying' other players. Therefore if you have opt-in you are making an active choice to do the event. People who choose to make an effort get the rewards.

It may be that you also need an opt-out or drop-out button for people who find they can't do what they signed up to because real life suddenly got in the way.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Sto_Helit View Post
    I was basing my suggestion on the similar situation where you may have 'active' guild members who haven't completed guild quests but still get the rewards for the effort of the rest of the guild. I think this can be a source of resentment when people feel they are 'carrying' other players. Therefore if you have opt-in you are making an active choice to do the event. People who choose to make an effort get the rewards.

It may be that you also need an opt-out or drop-out button for people who find they can't do what they signed up to because real life suddenly got in the way.
    good idea but probably too complicated to do as they would have to see who did what in each world rather than just blanket gift whole server worlds.
    also its not about how much/little you donated it was about TEAM WORK some got that idea and went all out and did more than their best others did basic minimum but it still counted, and yes those who like to profiteer form events and not participate and just get rewards for others hard work can bug us but that's them you do get players who are all in it for themselves and not be part of a team, you cant change them just have to play along side them

However those who did take part however much/little they did can hold their heads up we did it we got the 100% and be proud.
    now get back to work for your servers get stocking up ready for round 2 that starts on Monday and hope that more players participate this time around

Reply to Thread