Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Manuscript Not available.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Part of my job is to design user interfaces. First lesson is standardization. Keep screens as similar as possible.
    That's where it starts already: the science system uses different screens. That's simply begging for user errors or at least misunderstandings.
    Why not simply display the costs in the same way as done for all other buildings?
    And yes, very dumb to have the cost info not visible and readable at all time. But, when you'd look at dozens of related threads, then you'll see that most are about the handling and the way it looks. Myself I find the user of tab pages on the Geologist completely non-typical for this game for example. For the few places where tab pages are used applies that the tab pages are at the bottom. Here, for some reason it had to be on top.
    It's not that difficult to make it similar to something we all know. Define adding a skill as a task and you can make the screen similar to the general's screen.

I can't understand therefore that an experienced game development team is make such beginner mistakes. It's almost like the science system was developed by one developer, who was allowed to implement the UI as he liked it most. I would expect that there is one person responsible for UI design, or otherwise that the whole BB-team has to follow development guidelines describing how to implement the UI.

Of course, from time to time you will have to change your UI, so that it's more up-to-date with new standards.
    We've all seen Microsoft's Windows 8, which is a (unfortunately) bad attempt to copy-paste the far superior UI of Androids. It's a bad attempt, since Microsoft didn't take into account that they have a different target audience. The average age of Windows users is much higher than the users of Androids. You can't except old people to handle such drastic changes very well. Neither did Microsoft take into account that Windows has a lot more functionalities and that it is very important thay users can still find and use their functionalities. When you put everything somewhere else without clear hints where they went, then you know you're heading for a disaster.
    But at least Microsoft did one important thing correctly: when you change your UI, then change all of it in the same way. Don't start using different styles at the same moment. That's lesson 2 in UI design I would say; a lesson certainly forgotten when implementing the science system.
    Last edited by MrBranch; 16.07.13 at 22:01.

World
    Newfoundland
    You had me right up until here:

Quote Originally Posted by MrBranch View Post
    Of course, from time to time you will have to change your UI, so that it's more up-to-date with new standards.
    We've all seen Microsoft's Windows 8, which is a (unfortunately) bad attempt to copy-paste the far superior UI of Androids. It's a bad attempt, since Microsoft didn't take into account that they have a different target audience. The average age of Windows users is much higher than the users of Androids. You can't except old people to handle such drastic changes very well. Neither did Microsoft take into account that Windows has a lot more functionalities and that it is very important thay users can still find and use their functionalities. When you put everything somewhere else without clear hints where they went, then you know you're heading for a disaster.
    But at least Microsoft did one important thing correctly: when you change your UI, then change all of it in the same way. Don't start using different styles at the same moment. That's lesson 2 in UI design I would say; a lesson certainly forgotten when implementing the science system.
    The grey pound uses both Windows and Android, you know. I also hear they know how to work the Sky box.
    It's not my fault that I never learned to take responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggis View Post
    The Germans have 3x gem happy hour..... we have an Alpaca!

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Icegirl View Post
    The grey pound uses both Windows and Android, you know. I also hear they know how to work the Sky box.
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Perhaps because I'm a non-native English speaker. The "grey pound": what's that?
    The Sky box, are you herewith referring Microsoft's hub for user data and information?

Anyhow, I believe you're trying to say that Microsoft is not doing such a bad job? If so, then I fully agree with you. Changing an operating system from style A to style B is a hack of a job, certainly without too many bugs. The performance of Windows 8 is a blessing. If you see where they are coming from (Vista was the biggest disaster since the Titanic), then it's unbelievable that they managed to do such a thing.
    But, from where I'm standing, they could have done a much better job when it comes to handling the transition.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBranch View Post
    I'm not sure what you're trying to say here. Perhaps because I'm a non-native English speaker. The "grey pound": what's that?
    The Sky box, are you herewith referring Microsoft's hub for user data and information?

Anyhow, I believe you're trying to say that Microsoft is not doing such a bad job? If so, then I fully agree with you. Changing an operating system from style A to style B is a hack of a job, certainly without too many bugs. The performance of Windows 8 is a blessing. If you see where they are coming from (Vista was the biggest disaster since the Titanic), then it's unbelievable that they managed to do such a thing.
    But, from where I'm standing, they could have done a much better job when it comes to handling the transition.
    I was referring to your sweeping generalisation that 'old people' use Windows but not Android phones. That's a load of old tosh. I saw a woman in Starbucks recently who was 80 if she was a day and she was emailing her grandchildren in Australia from her laptop while rocking a Samsung Galaxy on the table next to her.

I'm not yet 40, but I use Windows, and my 15 year-old uses Windows. We both have iPhones though.

So what my post actually said was that you cannot make generalisations like that and expect not to get pulled up on it. People of all ages uses Windows, iOS, Android, etc. People over a certain age do not have problems adjusting to new technology or UI's. You wrote your post as if Windows was only for the over 60's. Plus, where are you drawing the line on who is 'old' and who is not?

Incidentally, the grey pound refers to the economic power of elderly people. The Sky box is a commonly used UK term for a satellite television decoder, due to the service being provided by a company called Sky.
    It's not my fault that I never learned to take responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggis View Post
    The Germans have 3x gem happy hour..... we have an Alpaca!

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexno View Post
    But how could they improve in this case? The tome clearly shows that a manuscript will be used. As for the geologist skill tree, that's the reason you are actually making them right?
    It might help if the buttons were still fully visible and readable, while producing a book.

Hmm yes the waiting quest concept isn't really covered in the tutorial, that might be a nice addition
    hey....u going in wrong way and going too far....can`t make tome when u DONT have manuscript....in bookbinder u start to produce manuscript and when is finish u click to collect, but there is nothing in mayore house(manuscript 0) so what the hell u talking about.Anyway,its happen 3 time and ill finaly collect one to make tome.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by melkory View Post
    hey....u going in wrong way and going too far....can`t make tome when u DONT have manuscript....in bookbinder u start to produce manuscript and when is finish u click to collect, but there is nothing in mayore house(manuscript 0) so what the hell u talking about.Anyway,its happen 3 time and ill finaly collect one to make tome.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexno View Post
    If I'm not mistaken there are only two ways a manuscript can leave your inventory:
    1. Put the manuscript to use in a skill tree
    2. Start creating a tome

If you are sure you did none of those two, contact Support using this page
    so... contact Support using this page

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Eh Icegirl...[removed]

I was referring to your sweeping generalisation that 'old people' use Windows but not Android phones. That's a load of old tosh.
    Where did you see my writing this? I wrote down that Windows users do have a higher age on an average than Android users.

So what my post actually said was that you cannot make generalisations like that and expect not to get pulled up on it.
    You may pull as much as you like of course, but I don't understand why you want to do that. Of course, there will be 80+ people using an Android. And of course, there will be 90+ people, not even used to Android, who will grasp the idea of Windos 8 rightaway.
    But, that doesn't change the fact that the average age of Windows users is higher. It neither changes the fact that the learning curve of people gets let steep when they get older. There's no generalisation in that; that's simply stating the facts.

MrBranch,

Please do not reference or insinuate any illegal substance taking.

I'd also like to remind players to remain on topic.

Sinister-King
    Last edited by Sinister-King; 17.07.13 at 19:06.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    I have lost 3 manuscripts in last seven days and no I am not making tomes, only manuscripts at this stage.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Kermit1957 View Post
    I have lost 3 manuscripts in last seven days and no I am not making tomes, only manuscripts at this stage.
    If you feel this is a bug please contact Support and they should be able to help you
    I'm more than likely working right now.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by peck_ed View Post
    If you feel this is a bug please contact Support and they should be able to help you
    And in the event it DOES turn out to be a bug, would someone actually come back and TELL US so that people are in a better position to help others in future.

Reply to Thread