Reply to Thread

Thread: Unusual new bug

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove

Unusual new bug

Since yesterday, every time I try to log into Sandycove, the first time it starts to load, then a popup appears telling me that "my client is out of date" and suggests clearing cache.
    Second entry, and it loads fine.
    This never comes up on Newfoundland or Northisle, just sandycove, and even a different browser pulls the same stunt, even a fresh one with nothing cached whatsoever.
    We don't use a client, I wish we did instead of this flaky Flash nonsense.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Same thing happened to me on Newfoundland

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    I had this about a week ago, i just refreshed the page and it returned to the homepage, i clicked the big blue play button again and it was fine

Skilled Student Harald_Villraade's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    This problem appeared with the 20yrs event, and I really hope it goes away when it´s done. (I go through this every time I log in...)

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    I've had that a couple of times, but not during the event - I think it was before that.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMule View Post
    We don't use a client, I wish we did instead of this flaky Flash nonsense.
    Well actually that flaky Flash nonsense is a client.

My guess is that your receive these messages: "Client outdated" and "Please delete your browser cache and try to log in again."

What happens is that the SWMMO.swf (the settleronline flash file aka the client) that is used to connect to the server has a different version number then the one on the server, or at least the code that is used to determine if they match says so .

Now for the how can this be, the SWMMO.swf is downloaded when the game starts right?
    Well no, not necessarily. There are several cases where it may use an old version.
    Most common is the browser cache (hence the request to clear your browser cache), but if there are other things that cache as well (like proxies)

Since I don't know what is installed on your computer and how you connect to the internet, it's no use in guessing what might be causing this problem for you.

I don't see how it can be a bug in the code, since as of yet only 2 or 3 reported this issue (I think veganbot had the more common browser cache problem, and not sure about gavona). That doesn't mean there isn't one though

PS. if you normally use chrome, and re-installed it thinking it would most definitely clear your cache... think again, this might not be the case.

You might want to check out http://www.wikihow.com/Clear-Your-Browser's-Cache
    or try http://forums.adobe.com/message/4278569 to clear you adobe flash cache.
    or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwNRXrXO8h4&noredirect=1 for chrome flash

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexno View Post
    All those links work for me, and should be useful for anyone that needs some info on what cache is and how to clear it.

I think I probably cleared cache at some point when that happened, and possibly had to restart the pc since it was feeling a bit confused. I do try to keep on top of cluttered cache, so probably only hit a slight glitch with a number of problems converging.
    Last edited by Sto_Helit; 13.07.13 at 09:18.

Reply to Thread