Reply to Thread

Thread: Another brick in the wall... a geologist's tale

World
    Newfoundland

Another brick in the wall... a geologist's tale

I always wanted be a geologist… always, like, for as long as I can remember…

Dad bought me my first pick, and a little set of prospecting tools, right back when I was only five, and knee-high to a grasshopper.

I was overjoyed when she hired me… nice place to work, good, regular meals, and a friendly camaraderie with the rest of the geologists who work for her – OK, they’re not as fast as me… she hired them in the tavern, after all… but we got on, we had fun…

So when she offered us the chance to get a bit of education, well, I jumped at the chance. A bit of studying, some qualifications – most of all, better pay! Of course I volunteered.

Hmm….

Every morning she throws a book at me, and before I’ve barely had a chance to skim through it, much less study it properly, she sends me out.

“Find copper!”
    “Call that a decent vein? Find a deeper one!”
    “No, no… a deep one that we can mine faster – I’m not in this for the fun of it, you know”
    “Oh, and bring back any mined ore you find along the way”

And do my erstwhile colleagues help? Not a bit of it! “Oh, you’re so much better at it than us… if we try to help, she’ll only shout at us, and send you anyway”

What used to be a 5 minute job – 10 tops – is now taking me three or four times as long, doing it all on my own and having her reject half my findings…

Then there’s gold… don’t get me started on gold… "Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger"… oh no, that’s something else, isn’t it? But you get the picture! It’s like the good ones – the ones I’ve learned about, that should be a bonus - are now the requirement… this is NOT the way it’s supposed to be.

Meanwhile, back at the tavern, my former workmates are sitting on their backsides, eating sausage and quaffing brew. If I’m really, really pushed, they might agree to go out looking for stone or marble… grumbling all the time that I could find bigger ones than them. Do I look as if I care?

And… and get this, this tops the lot… if I absolutely have nothing to do – all the copper found to her satisfaction, all gold mines up and running and not about to run out… if all that’s done, and you’d think I could finally sit down to a pint and a sausage of my own, maybe a game of cards with those lazy freeloaders? Is that so unreasonable? Oh no…

She – get this – she sends me out looking for iron!

She doesn’t mine iron – she doesn’t use iron… if I find a deposit for her, she carefully rubs it off the map I give her and pretends she doesn’t know about it! So why, why, why? Because… maybe, just maybe, I might find some mined ore while I’m out! Can you believe that? Honestly?

Education? Bah, you can keep it!

World
    Newfoundland
    Aaww really nice

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    *not laughing* *ahem*

*wipes countertop understandingly* Poor fellow, it's all that Book larnin' what's done it. Here, have one on the house:

(Vervain that's grand! Cheers for posting. )

Town Crier
    World
    Northisle
    Eh 'up.... 'e don' sown' reet Jolly!

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    I was one of the others. Indeed, not as fast...just hired at the tavern. Enormously jealous of Vervain. But, in contrary to my friends -drinking away their sad lives in the tavern- I picked up all books Vervain finished reading.
    Then, all of a sudden....my dream of becoming more like Vervain brutally ended: http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...ght=bookbinder
    Last edited by Stecker78; 28.07.13 at 13:54.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Awesome well written Vervain - a salute to the logical use of geo's ;-)

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Stecker78 View Post
    ....my dream of becoming more like Vervain brutally ended...
    Noooo! Of course you can borrow my books... in fact, have them! I don't want them - I'm just going to prop up this bar and tell Iolanthe all my woes.

Committed Clicker
    World
    Sandycove
    This totally sums up the science system and its many flaws with the added humour. If only the devs had listened to the feedback early on and allowed every geologist to level up without 'books' just improving every time they find a deposit which seems more realistic.

The science system is over-priced and many will stop using it when they realise the costs are far higher than they expected.

Skilled Student Harald_Villraade's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Touché!

Reply to Thread