Reply to Thread

Thread: Things that confused me

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle

Things that confused me

I started playing about 3 days ago. This is some feedback on things that could be improved or confused me.

When visiting a friend, sometimes (for whatever reason) their map won't load. You need a cancel visit button or you have to reload the page.

I found the quests involving pinewood very confusing and even with the help of my guild, it took time to sort out. Especially confusing were quests that asked you to get resources of (0) or more. That made no sense to me whatsoever, especially when I had some of whatever it was. The difference between resources and products was not made clear to me (I understand it now).

Some quests act retroactively (ie, took fish from my stock if I already had enough of what was required), but some did not. It was galling to be asked to acquire a friend when I'd already acquired 6 from my confusion with the pinewood.

Lastly, when the geologist says I have "too many" of a particular mine, how can I have ever acquired "too many"? It's not possible.

I like the game, even though it's different from PC and iPad Settlers, or possible because.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    The word 'acquire' is a typical example of the strange wording sometimes used by Settlers Online. It's a known 'phenomena'. See for example http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...=acquire+coins
    It applies as well to the 'acquire a friend', which is to be translated in 'acquire a friend on top of the friends you already have'.

The production capacity of >= 0 in 12h. is the most notorious example of getting people confused with wording. Many threads have been started because of it. One starts wondering how difficult it would have been to write down "have more production than consumption for pinewood".

What I don't understand from these two things, is why the translations are not handled by the forum moderators. In most modern applications, translations are handled (or at least modifyable) by a business-related team. Development teams only provide the 'default' translations.
    See also the wrong translations for gold and iron, which should be 'gold bar' and 'cast iron'.

The geolist is quite simple. There are only several mines of each type on your island. If you are having your geologist search for iron, while you discovered all iron mines, then you get the geologist to tell you that you have too many. It's quite stupid, since it starts searching; in case of gold your geologist is gone for 4 hours. It would be more clear if it even doesn't start searching.
    Last edited by MrBranch; 29.07.13 at 19:09.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Fellstrider View Post
    I started playing about 3 days ago. This is some feedback on things that could be improved or confused me.

When visiting a friend, sometimes (for whatever reason) their map won't load. You need a cancel visit button or you have to reload the page.

I found the quests involving pinewood very confusing and even with the help of my guild, it took time to sort out. Especially confusing were quests that asked you to get resources of (0) or more. That made no sense to me whatsoever, especially when I had some of whatever it was. The difference between resources and products was not made clear to me (I understand it now).

Some quests act retroactively (ie, took fish from my stock if I already had enough of what was required), but some did not. It was galling to be asked to acquire a friend when I'd already acquired 6 from my confusion with the pinewood.

Lastly, when the geologist says I have "too many" of a particular mine, how can I have ever acquired "too many"? It's not possible.

I like the game, even though it's different from PC and iPad Settlers, or possible because.
    1. There is a bug related to visiting islands at the moment.

2. Those quests ask for at least 0 / 12 h production, which means produce more than you use.

3. Not quite sure what you mean by that.

4. The geologist can only find the number of deposits that are available in the sectors you own. The error message when he can't find any more deposits is always the same.

World
    Sandycove
    Also, try this link, it may be of use to you in the coming weeks

http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...uests-(Updated)

Reply to Thread