Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Dev Diary: Science System Update!

Former Community Team Member Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove

[Feedback] Dev Diary: Science System Update!

You can find the thread here!

Please leave your comments and feedback below.

BB_Alpaca

World
    Sandycove
    Name: Powder Sack
    Effect: Allows finding more Saltpeter on Extra-long treasure searches.

Are BB kidding!!!??? Unless they have something in store for us we know nothing about, this will be as useless as a chocolate kettle...

(The rest looks kind of cool though )
    Last edited by jollyfog2012; 30.07.13 at 15:20.

World
    Newfoundland
    I can't wait this :-)

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle
    If the cost of books remaining the same we will not be able to afford more than 4 TOTAL upgrades in all miner/explorer/general

http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...t...-expensive

If they change it they better compensate for the materials lost all the players...

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Ye indeed but I am still excited for it!

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    How much time to fully train 15 explorers?2-3 years maybe?

Nifty
    World
    Northisle
    You don't have to worry about the time for training 15 explorers: if we don't hear about some good news about book prices being capped, you'll never afford more than 6-7 upgraded characters. Hope you didn't spend those already on geologists.

So, BB, could we please hear some good news?

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Borotaur View Post
    You don't have to worry about the time for training 15 explorers: if we don't hear about some good news about book prices being capped, you'll never afford more than 6-7 upgraded characters. Hope you didn't spend those already on geologists.

So, BB, could we please hear some good news?
    Did you know that the Manuscript price caps after you've made 91, the Tome caps after you've made 81 and the Codex caps once you've made 61.

You can read more about it here
    Last edited by peck_ed; 30.07.13 at 18:41.
    I'm more than likely working right now.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    I've always liked the science system and the skills for the geologist are pretty good, I think. I also think that SOME of the skills here also look like great ideas. But, as ever, the devil is in the details of the implementation of those ideas.

There's a real sense that they haven't been thought through properly before this public diary. Indeed, some of them look about as random as the production times on the science system resource buildings, a problem which was never properly addressed...

Example 1: Manuscript based skill for shortening long searches and a tome based skill for shortening medium searches. So, someone who's level 15 and is making scripts, but can't do long searches until level 32; what is the point of that skill for them? If this is just a simple typo, which is the only sensible explanation for this, please confirm!

Example 2: Granite boosts for medium searches. Erm... ok. Interesting choice... Not ridiculous like the first example, but still a little but weird!

Example 3: More saltpeter on extra-long searches with tomes. Tomes unlock at level 25 and, for the geologists at least, the second tier of tome-based skills is available from level 32, both well before you can do extra-long searches (level 40). But even at level 40, what possible need could you have for a skill that gives you more saltpeter when this resource can't be turned into powder until level 47 which can't be turned into cannons until level 48? Even ignoring the fact that nobody actually makes cannons, this doesn't seem to have been thought through at all. Again, is it a simple typo or has this idea somehow made it all the way to public announcement stage without anyone saying, "hold on a moment... this is silly..."?

I know you said "Please keep in mind that all skill names and effects may be changed in the final version", but examples 1 and 3 above are so clearly bonkers that they shouldn't have made it past the first developer brainstorming session, let alone into the developer diary announcing it to the public - I'm reminded of the utter disaster that was the "magnificent residence" until the third public test version of that building!

Here's hoping that the good skills will be combined with the "filler" skills in a way that makes a little bit more sense by the time they reach the test server.

PS The phrase "up skill" should never be used... ever...

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    Name: Travel Expenses
    Effect: Reduces the cost of all Adventure searches.

Name: Pathfinder
    Effect: Shortens the search time for all Searches

These are the only two I will be aiming for. Anything unlocked to get them is pure bonus.

Reply to Thread