Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Quick Fix for additional island space

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gytha_Ogg View Post
    I still maintain that as a resource management game island space is a resource that has to be managed.
    Exactly, and that would include reorganisation of space when it is at a premium.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Sto_Helit View Post
    Landfill over the lakes, rivers and inlets would destroy fishing, and once the whole island is a flat, green expanse of land covered with buildings
    No it does not, unless you are not leaving any sea at all. As long as you keep some sea left, you will only need to move your fishermans to a different location. Just as it happens in real life when a government is doing land reclamation.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBranch View Post
    No it does not, unless you are not leaving any sea at all. As long as you keep some sea left, you will only need to move your fishermans to a different location. Just as it happens in real life when a government is doing land reclamation.
    Ah, but I was taking the idea to its limit, whereby the island is literally a built environment and all the trees, bushes, rocks, lakes, rivers, inlets and therefore also all the fishing, hunting, mining and quarry deposits have been destroyed for buildings instead. Then those players would have to buy in basic resources to process in their smelters, sawmills and other buildings. It is an option for people who want to use every last ounce of space, but it may have some drawbacks.

So, if you think that your island has a few too many trees or rocks on it and you want more buildings instead, is there a limit to this idea?
    Last edited by Sto_Helit; 01.08.13 at 16:31.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Newfoundland
    But I would suggest to reclaim the land where your current fishing spots are.
    What I would suggest it to have one of following two options:
    1) BB adds offshore fishing spots...still a static map. You will have to reclaim the land until you reach one of the offshore spots.
    2) BB uses the science system this time for something useful: a skill for your geologists to find new fishing spots (by luring fish with fishfood for example)

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBranch View Post
    But I would suggest to reclaim the land where your current fishing spots are.
    What I would suggest it to have one of following two options:
    1) BB adds offshore fishing spots...still a static map. You will have to reclaim the land until you reach one of the offshore spots.
    2) BB uses the science system this time for something useful: a skill for your geologists to find new fishing spots (by luring fish with fishfood for example)
    Right, so you are adding in new fishing spots to find. BB could also add in offshore mine and quarry deposits, and once land has been reclaimed, I'm sure new meat deposits could be factored in too.

Or you could leave all the deposits where they are, and instead of bulldozing trees and stuff, create new land out into the sea. This would be very expensive, as it costs a lot to create new land. So there would be a high cost per new building space.

Or BB could provide high level players with the option to buy a new island with a bridge to your existing island. It would have no new resources on it, but would be extra space. It can be found just north of the current sea boundary and would appear with the bridge in place when the option was purchased. Currently it is shrouded in mist or clouds....

I'm having fun with this idea and I quite like the option of having another small island to play with.
    Last edited by Sto_Helit; 01.08.13 at 17:04.

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    More building space is only a plaster over the wound. What happens when any new land is filled and players start demanding more?

A much better solution is level 6 buildings.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    More building space is only a plaster over the wound. What happens when any new land is filled and players start demanding more?

A much better solution is level 6 buildings.
    Yay +1 for that! How much will they cost?

Oh, and what happens when level 6 is not good enough?

World
    Sandycove
    level 7 lol

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Sto_Helit View Post
    Yay +1 for that! How much will they cost?

Oh, and what happens when level 6 is not good enough?
    Seriously consider where in the game you have gone wrong.

Currently I am L43 and have loads of building space and 60 building licenses left to play with. My island is almost self sufficient with just copper being my major weakness. Even after building all 7 of the science buildings the economy still runs fine. Yes my ornamental smith and advanced paper mill are sleeping but those use resources that cannot be gathered so don't count.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Seriously consider where in the game you have gone wrong.

Currently I am L43 and have loads of building space and 60 building licenses left to play with. My island is almost self sufficient with just copper being my major weakness. Even after building all 7 of the science buildings the economy still runs fine. Yes my ornamental smith and advanced paper mill are sleeping but those use resources that cannot be gathered so don't count.

Yeah, which comes back to your point about this being a resource and space management game. Hmm. Full circle.

Reply to Thread