Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Pvp

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle

Cool Pvp

PVE games are sooner or later too boring and people will stop playing.
    If u want good playable game with many peoples u need PVP!

Facts – Setlers online:
    - we have islands (sea around)
    - we have building material
    - we have money
    - we have land units
    - and most important – we have a good developer team

My suggestion:
    We already have a land units.
    I think we need a port and ships. If u remember »Admiral sea battles«. The game was released in 1996 by Megamedia and is a turn-based naval warfare strategy game (one of best strategic game ever). If developer team manage to integrate this game (or similar fighting sistem and ship repair) in to setlers online than can be one of the best online games.
    I'm sorry but my english is not the best I hope u understand me.

Best regards

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Not all games need PvP to make them a good game.
    Personally, I find PvP games boring.

If you read the Dev Diary, there are plans to incorporate a PvP system into the game at some stage. This will be optional to not interfere with those that don't like PvP.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Personally I find most PvP games boring and trite, because they seem to work to a single strategy. I am glad that BB has mentioned the word 'optional' in relation to PvP, as I have spent some time trying to find games that don't follow the 'usual' PvP model and do have elements of building and trading instead. If PvP can remain optional and be implemented in a way that it provides some strategic interest, then I might find that enjoyable. In the meantime, I am quite happy with 'boring' PvE - the AI bandits don't whinge too much if I defeat them and I don't get too cross if they kill a few of my troops. I tend to get a bit more annoyed if someone tries to take over my home land, especially if I've spent weeks or months on it, so I reserve that feeling for Settlers 7 where I only lose a few hours of building.

Also, not to get too picky; this is a land-based, real time strategy game, not a sea-based, round-based strategy game. I've built and repaired ships in another building and trading game, after losing them mainly to shipwrecks, pirates and the odd bit of combat, and it quickly got very tedious.
    Last edited by Sto_Helit; 06.08.13 at 12:38.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I think the ships idea has been mentioned somewhere in relation to expanding the player's territory. And in this case, I would welcome ships gladly, if only so I could claim new sectors and fight pirates instead of bandits. Just like the posters above, however, I'm not a huge fan of PvP, and for me, the lack of it in the game is an advantage, not the contrary. To say that:
    Quote Originally Posted by snake55573
    PVE games are sooner or later too boring and people will stop playing.
    If u want good playable game with many peoples u need PVP!
    is a far-fetched generalization. You're speaking from your own point of view, falsely assuming that everyone else thinks like you, and shares your own opinions. I have nothing against implementing PvP as an option, just like the Devs are planning, but if it became a non-choice feature, I would probably stop playing the game sooner or later, or at the very least invest less and less time and money into it (and I already make a point of not investing too much money into it). From what I've seen playing other games, I'm not the only person on the planet who doesn't want to engage in various forms of PvP (for many reasons), too.

That aside... I suppose ships would be a good feature regardless, for both those who want to engage in PvP and those who don't. I'm not thinking sea battles exactly for either, but since our settlers live on an island, ships sound like the only reasonable way of travel! I've often wondered how my generals (and their hundreds of troops!) manage to get to those faraway adventure lands

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Maladict View Post
    You're speaking from your own point of view, falsely assuming that everyone else thinks like you, and shares your own opinions. I have nothing against implementing PvP as an option, just like the Devs are planning, but if it became a non-choice feature, I would probably stop playing the game sooner or later, or at the very least invest less and less time and money into it (and I already make a point of not investing too much money into it). From what I've seen playing other games, I'm not the only person on the planet who doesn't want to engage in various forms of PvP (for many reasons), too.
    Very much agree here: I am one of the people that would stop playing TSO if PvP was not optional and especially if it involved attacking home islands. I have tried out enough of that sort of game in my search to find something different, and in each case they have left me cold. I do not want to be farmed by larger players as soon as I get out of 'newbie' protection; I do not want to join a large guild/alliance that will tell me how I should play in order to be protected from other large players; I don't want to feel forced to play '24/7' so that I don't get attacked and destroyed whilst I am offline; and I don't want to become the sort of player that goes around attacking other small players to 'win'.

Yes, combat can be fun, and I do enjoy working out strategies for the adventures here. I would probably like to compete against other players on a map with reasonably similar armies, but I'd like to have the choice to do that or decide not to bother.

The 'boring' features of this game are precisely why I'm here: I like building, I like trading, I like working out what to do to get a certain quest done, I like coming up with my own strategies to do adventures, I like chatting (okay, yes far too much!) and I like doing my own thing.

It may be that I don't like PvP a lot because I'm not a teenage boy, or male and in my twenties; there are many online games for that market. I'm female (not sure that actually matters), in my forties and like to play games that need a bit of patience rather than providing everything instantly; so I'm looking for something different. TSO is one of the few games online that provides a different scenario. Can we not make it into a clone of what is already out there?

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I didnt mean that must everybody play PVP. Of course without the possibility to atack your home island. If someone want to play pve, than you continue on pve. But, i dont know what u doin when u upgrade all buildings and trading must have purpose for me.

Of course is only proposal and i respect your opinion.
    Last edited by snake555730; 06.08.13 at 19:09.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Yes, I agree that it must be optional to play PVP. So that no one could tear down my buildings.
    That will be a shame in all the investments of time to play settlers .

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    Alright, now that we all agree that PvP should be optional...

Quote Originally Posted by snake555730
    Of course without the possibility to atack your home island.
    This intrigued me. Don't take me wrong - I mean no offense, of course, but I would gladly hear more about your ideas, if you're excluding attacking other players' homes. So far, I have always imagined possible PvP in TSO as a possibility to raid other people's islands. Do you mean that PvP battles should take place on separate lands, much like adventures?

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I am litle too late, but...PVP battles should take place on separate islands which will be filled with treasures (buildings, gold, ..etc) To take the treasures u need grand units and ships to make safe path to the island. Other players can sink the transport ships.. I love to play strategic games so why i mentioned Admiral. It is simple game... but fantastic to play (played many years ago). Its jus only idea...nothing more.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Maladict View Post
    So far, I have always imagined possible PvP in TSO as a possibility to raid other people's islands. Do you mean that PvP battles should take place on separate lands, much like adventures?
    If PvP was implemented so that people could raid each other's islands, how would TSO differ from any other PvP game where high level players basically farm lower level players? What would be the motivation to build and develop an island if people could just come along and steal the resources and destroy the buildings?

I can't really see people saying yes to the option to opening up their home islands to attack, so have always assumed the option was to have PvP on separate islands.

Reply to Thread