Reply to Thread

Thread: Profanity Filter

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Sandycove

Question Profanity Filter

If you by accident write a word that's blocked by the profanity filter (Which there are too many of them, but that's a different story) you do not get a warning that the word is blocked. Please add something so the sender of the message can see if the word is blocked or not.

Thank you

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by RinceWinde View Post
    If you by accident write a word that's blocked by the profanity filter (Which there are too many of them, but that's a different story) you do not get a warning that the word is blocked. Please add something so the sender of the message can see if the word is blocked or not.

Thank you
    Getting a warning/ban for using a word that filtered is ludicrous anyway. The filter is there to as the word suggests filter profanity. If the filter has done it's job why the need to be warned/banned for it? I could understand if it was a word spelt with two letters swapped around or a star in place of a letter to bypass the filter
    Last edited by Monkey_Boi; 26.08.13 at 02:30.

World
    Newfoundland
    For the same reason why there is a law against attempted murder.

Just because you were not successful doesn't mean you didn't do something wrong and shouldn't be punished for it.
    Last edited by Dopey; 26.08.13 at 17:10.
    A little less compensation, a little more action please
    All this compensation ain't satisfactioning me
    A little more content and a little less bugged
    A little less inconvenient and a little more hugged
    Re-do PvP so its actually PvP and bluebyte satisfy me.
    Satisfy me bluebyte.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    It's my experience that you do get a warning, somebody usually a mod will point out that you have used a naughty word. The only problem I have with the filter is with words which have profane and non profane uses, but until they perfect a filter which makes the judgement based on content i'm willing to live with it.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    The filter can be wrong, and in such cases it can take a while you're talking with ***. I've had it twice.

The first time I said St. (ooh no!), although a few weeks later BB announced St. Patrick on the homepage, but in chat St. was still banned. It really took a while to get why people thought I was saying something strange.

And 2nd time: I went to a wedding of 2 women. But apparently I couldn't say it was a gay marriage (ooh no, cant say that, Putin wouldn't approve!). Although both looked great and all in love and happy, and there were people who brought their kids too. Couldn't see anything wrong with it, but apparently I wasn't allowed to say where I had been.

So the filter is wrong sometimes. St. got unbanned btw, so BB too knows the filter isn't perfect. Sometimes people really dont realize they say something the filter doesn't approve. Would be good to let the writer know something got starred. Oh and to adjust the filter, that too would be good.

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yes, ST, Stoke, and the letter k on its own were particularly bizarre.
    But generally, most filtered words are fairly obvious, although now and again even I get a surprise.
    The other night, I was watching an odd Italian film (in Italian and Mandarin), and somebody asked me the name of it.
    I answered "The Arrival of Wang", and was soon told that stars had appeared. Took a moment to realise, rather archaic term I haven't seen used in years.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Reply to Thread