Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Time limit for adventures

World
    Sandycove

Timeless Adventures

I've kinda hated Adventures because, if you run out of time and are only halfway through, you sometimes get no loot at all...

How about missions where, unless you complete objectives within given periods, you don't receive loot for those but still get a basic, random selection of items, as with when attacking bandit camps on the island?

[ Thread merged, only this post ]
    Last edited by Fexno; 16.02.14 at 07:34.
    Facebook ID: 1260394561
    Tiletron (Sandycove 3) | Hyncharas (Welt 1)

World
    Newfoundland
    I'd like to chime in and say that I think this is a splendid idea. I've never had a problem finishing an adventure in the allotted time, but I don't see why there should be a limit at all.

The two concerns in this thread I've seen raised can be easily addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by PChamps View Post
    Bad idea.. well for adventures that are 2 or 3 players. I could join your adventure and you may never log back on ever again I am therefore stuck in the adventure for ever. For a single player adventure sure, feel your boots its only you to play with.
    This is completely true. Removing the adventure time limit would require a way for invited people to abandon adventures. This really should be implemented anyway, since it's sometimes quite frustrating to be stuck in a long adventure when someone goes AWOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Hairy View Post
    I can think of a reason for the time limits. All our islands and their layouts need to be stored. When an adventure is started, a new island has to be created & stored until the adventure is complete. Putting time limits on adventures means they will end at some point, so the adventure island can be disposed of & storage space freed up.
    This objection is simply not technically sound. Even if stored with a naive algorithm, all you need to remember are the number of troops in each camp, and the placement and contents of the player camps on the island. Everything else is static. This is literally less than 1kb of data adventure island. That can be reduced even further with a few programming tricks, such as storing the island in terms of changes from the default, rather than remembering the contents of all camps.

Since every player is still limited to one open adventure at a time, this concern is just unwarranted.

It seems to me that the objectors here are lacking a bit of empathy with our less frequent co-player friends.
    EVO is recruiting.
    Players of all levels and experiences welcome. We like to teach.
    Take a look at our recruitment thread, or send me a PM if you're interested.
    Join the evolution today!

World
    Newfoundland
    Are the time limits not part of the difficulty rating? and as such the rewards for completing the adventure. If you want no time limits, then surely the rewards would have to be reduced too. I like the idea that you could set the time limit to your choosing to maximize the rewards i.e. set it to 2hrs for massively increased rewards, 1-2 days for slight increase, 3-4 days for current rewards etc... going upto unlimited time for minimal rewards.

This would add a new dimension to lootspots and adventure sharing too.

World
    Sandycove
    i like the idea minion, tho I do think you would have to have the most trusted lootspotters/sharers to make it work. It would cause upsets if looters delayed the larger rewards by going offline or afk as occurs so frequently...

World
    Newfoundland
    Exactly jollyfog. I really like the idea of setting the target to an hour and trying to do a full xp run of BK or DB adventure sharing with guildmates using blocks, 25+ gens, frenetically killing the entire map trying to get that mega granite drop.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    Hm, it is surprising for me. I thought, this adventure times far more much than needed. So I could imagine something like what Minion said. Except, I would not pre-set time limit.; the ellapsed time could be a parameter of loot. Or, another variation, exceeding assumed time limit could be "punished", e.g. halve the loot.

Reply to Thread