Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on the game economy since latest changes

Nifty
    World
    Northisle

Thoughts on the game economy since latest changes

I liked TSO compared to other online games because it manged to keep a balance between gem buying and non gem buying players and it felt like a true free to play game should.

Since the latest changes I feel the divide between the two aforementioned player categories grew way to much.
    Premium buyers set the price of loot spots now, Nords 2 only available for gems, gem gifts just ridiculously overpriced. I feel like the game is shifting from a well balanced free to play game towards a pay to win game.

Off course these are just my thoughts I'm in no way looking to start a war between gem buyers and non gem buyers .
    So please don't bite my head of , but I would like to hear if you agree or disagree with me.

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Sandycove
    I cannot see that you have a point at all. Settlers online is a game where what another player does has no effect on your game. If another player spends a fortune on gems that does not have any effect whatsoever on your game.

Balance is irrelevant in a game like Settlers online. If it had been a PVP game, where your island was open to attacks from other players then I could understand your concerns. But as it is, I do not

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by sslewster View Post
    I liked TSO compared to other online games because it manged to keep a balance between gem buying and non gem buying players and it felt like a true free to play game should.

Since the latest changes I feel the divide between the two aforementioned player categories grew way to much.
    Premium buyers set the price of loot spots now, Nords 2 only available for gems, gem gifts just ridiculously overpriced. I feel like the game is shifting from a well balanced free to play game towards a pay to win game.

Off course these are just my thoughts I'm in no way looking to start a war between gem buyers and non gem buyers .
    So please don't bite my head of , but I would like to hear if you agree or disagree with me.
    i don't agree with this what so ever yes loot spots have gone up as well as other stuff but trade ALWAYS changes no matter what new content comes in the game or a new event happens you always get those who stick to their old prices and those who want to profiteer best thing to do is keep to your old trade prices as those trying to profiteer dont guarantee they get the sales

Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    I cannot see that you have a point at all. Settlers online is a game where what another player does has no effect on your game. If another player spends a fortune on gems that does not have any effect whatsoever on your game.

Balance is irrelevant in a game like Settlers online. If it had been a PVP game, where your island was open to attacks from other players then I could understand your concerns. But as it is, I do not
    Totally agree with this, if 1 player buys gems and 1 dont its their personal choice on how they want to play the game.
    nobody can destroy your island like other games i have played therefore it dont affect you really if 1 player has gems and 1 dont everyone gets 100 gems after 7 continuous days of play if you dont want to buy them save them ones up instead.

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    It's only a week "since latest changes", so prices haven't had a chance to... aherm, Settle.

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Sandycove
    The prices probably went up because players were using the free premium days. Once those have been used and it is only people who have bought premium days, I think that trading will settle down again. Trade office prices always change when something new arrives, and this is no exception.

Raving Rabbid
    World
    Sandycove
    I've seen this allegation before; that it was premium players that pushed the prices up. I'd like to see some evidence. Seems to me it's sellers that control prices.

"Hmm I'd really like to pay more for something than everyone else" said no-one, ever!

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by sslewster View Post

In principle I have to agree with this, but only in principle, and I remember one of BB's own diary's making some comment on how this `feeling' set them and TSO apart from other free online games, but these changes as outlined by sslewster have IMO lost sight of this to a degree, the gap has definitely widened. There will be those racing ahead doing all the new stuff and getting all the new buildings with the help of `gems', and at the other end there will be those playing for free and feeling a little left out as this way is getting slower and slower. As long as I've been playing its always been like this though and whilst it is still down to personal choice , I do think that subliminal arm twisting to part you from your cash is much stronger now.
    I do also agree that in principle that whether you are a gem buyer or non gem buyer there is no Direct influence on how you as an individual play the game as ultimately your island is kept in isolation. However in practice these changes have and will change how the game is played in ALL interaction of players with players ( Trade Office and Guilds ). All changes to the game have had there effect in these area's, and there will be those that like them and those that don't, those that adapt and those that whine and those that quit. Over time though one thing is pretty consistent, Once the novelty of new content wares off, Or newer content is added and the availability of any resource increases...the price drops ( irrelevant as to whether it was gem bought or not) so if your patient the fairytale stuff will be `free player affordable' at some point in the future, especially when those players need to save all those troops for PVP. (SLT may go the way of SOTV )

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim_B View Post
    I've seen this allegation before; that it was premium players that pushed the prices up. I'd like to see some evidence. Seems to me it's sellers that control prices.

"Hmm I'd really like to pay more for something than everyone else" said no-one, ever!
    Sellers don't control prices, they may have the goods and ask what price they like, but if it don't sell it's worth nothing. If some players are prepared to pay the inflated prices, more fool them.

Raving Rabbid
    World
    Sandycove
    Seller A sets a price based on nothing other than a desire for more coins - Seller B sees seller A's price and thinks "yeah me too". Seller C sells for usual price and his goods sell out quickly. Sellers A and B still have goods to sell. Limit of resources forces buyers to eventually accept higher prices - especially as sellers C - Z have now jumped on the bandwagon.

Sellers set prices.
    Last edited by Jim_B; 11.09.13 at 20:30.

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland

Gem Buyers View

My thoughts as a gem buyer....

The recent changes have greatly changed the game and in my opinion for the worse because of a longer term issue.

I have always bought gems, not so much recently but pretty much since the beginning and at one stage I was a monthly contributor to the BB Dev and Support team through my purchases. Buying these gems has given me a huge boost in terms of getting to L50 in August 2012 and subsequently pushing my island to L5 including the more expensive stuff like Nobles, science buildings etc.

Historically I sold gems (or gem giftable stuff) during the closed beta for approximately 3-4coins per gem, then when we went open beta I have always sold gems in guild for 4coins per gem and outside guild for between 4.5 and 6coins per gem. These prices have been pretty steady all the way through apart from occasionally during events when footballs, pumpkins and easter eggs have caused gem prices to increase for short periods of time.

Now I believe gem prices are around the 10coin plus level. Yes people try to buy for less and they always will in smaller quantities but for the high level players that have lots of coin they will always be willing to pay 10coins per gem to get say 1k - 5k gems quickly to enable them to buy Battle Hardened Generals, 10 Building License Packs and other such stuff that has never been giftable.

I have even been approached by players recently who have said 'hey I have 9k gems and need 20k in total for a gem pit, will you sell me 11k gems? I am willing to pay 10coins each for high numbers...'

A friend with gem pits sold over 10k gems in less than 2 weeks. That's 100k in coin. Why would he sell for 50k coins if without even trying he can get double that?

So in my opinion gem buyers that wish to sell their gems will easily get 10coins plus per gem for the high quantities and many high level players or gold farmers / active traders that wish to play for free will easily pay these prices.

So why do I thing this is bad for the long term game?
    1. Most high level players have benefited from buying the Shop Noble Deeds which don't use a building license. This enables them to use their building licenses to concentrate on developing their economy rather than developing their military troops.
    2. Recent players coming into the game (or future players) will find it harder to buy Noble Deeds on Trade Tab or Trade Office as gem buyers will sell gems for 10c pushing the price of Noble Deeds to 1k coin which is much harder for new developing players to fund.
    3. The same scenario will occur for other shop items such as silos which many players (including me) love.
    4. This could result in a vicious circle whereby without fresh players the game withers and dies a slow lingering collapse.
    Of course the easy answer is that gem costs will re-settle but I honestly don't see that happening. A small number of high level players with plenty of gold will continue to support the higher cost of gems to create a self sustaining economy whilst the lower level players get less support in establishing their economy.

I for one wont be selling my gems anytime soon or cheaper than the current market can sustain as that would be foolish. So in turn if I do sell gems again then I am probably contributing to the longer term demise of the game

Reply to Thread