Reply to Thread

Thread: *NEW Content* for all lvls - Special buildings

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle

Exclamation *NEW Content* for all lvls - Special buildings

Please take a moment to read the entire post before commenting! Thank you!

What am I proposing?

The introduction of some great / impressive buildings be added to the game as new content for all lvls. Think of some special buildings (whatever number but i will use 4 as an example) that the player can build in stages and get an island wide effect when completed.

A total of 4 buildings can be built, one at lvl 26, another at 32, the 3rd at 42 and finally the last one at lvl 50. What kind of buildings you ask? I was browsing the internet and found some pics from settlers 4.

In order: The fountain of a 1000 wishes, The Library, Historic monument and The Military Keep

How would this work?

At every respective level, a player would start a chain quest more like a story of how you come to hear about this building, what advents you must do to acquire the plans and knowledge, pay up materials.

An example of a quest chain: Donate x map frags (this would be to find the location of plans - text wise), do x and y adventures (to get plans and info - text wise), donate x and y resources (for architects and engineers costs - text wise).

Then you get the building. Further quests ask you to construct it (construction should take days and would require large amounts of materials to reflect the importance of the building). Ex: every 2-3 mins a settler carries 1 stone / 1 plank / coal etc. once you multiply the time by the total amount needed you can balance how long it takes to build.

My take is that such a building (quest chain + construction phase) should take at least 2-3 weeks to complete.

Building Effects
    again, these are just examples

Fountain - once built it will speed up working rate of your settlers by x% or any other effect
    Library - once built it will speed up books / buffs production by x% or any other effect.
    Monument - once built it will unlock a historic military unit or any other effect.
    The Keep - once built it will increase the attack power of your units by x%

Is this doable and useful?
    My answer is yes, it can be done using existing game mechanics. Would it be worth it to construct such buildings? Again, yes, if the reward is as good as the effort.

Any thoughts? Feedback?

World
    Newfoundland
    Some good thinking here and some less good thinking

They are great / impressive buildings indeed, do you have included the size they will occupy on the home island ?

Don't get me wrong, but will the reward they provide, be sufficient to take the needed space they do ?
    Just wondering

Love,
    Amy
    Amy Safeunderdark
    A little magic goes a long way.

Amy's Rules of progress (TSO Forum )
    Amy's random quotes & Settlers related Art and images (TSO Forum )
    Amy's TOOLS:
    Forum image uploader New version online supporting more image types, even animated gif!
    Explained here (Forum link) --> PLease leave your comments and/or remarks here

TSO server status (outside link) New Version!

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    Good suggestion, I suppose you're still able to build regular buildings while the special building is being built? I mean, you don't want to halt your building queue for days...
    Check out my collection of suggestions to ease up the game. Please do provide me with your feedback in regards of it.

Committed Clicker
    World
    Sandycove
    Time limited quests aren't a good idea as many players that might want to do the quest won't be able to finish them in time.

Adding quest chains to the quest book allowing players to complete them in their own time (or not do them) and allow them to do them with friends is far more fun. What an online game is all about is encouraging players to do events together.

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by AmySafeunderdark View Post
    Some good thinking here and some less good thinking

They are great / impressive buildings indeed, do you have included the size they will occupy on the home island ?

Don't get me wrong, but will the reward they provide, be sufficient to take the needed space they do ?
    Just wondering

Love,
    Amy
    I believe that is up to BlueByte since they have the notion of balance. So they'd come up with sizes and effects and the community would provide feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Erikber View Post
    Good suggestion, I suppose you're still able to build regular buildings while the special building is being built? I mean, you don't want to halt your building queue for days...
    These buildings would not go in the normal buiding queue so no it should not halt anything. It's a special construction and besides, when you place deed buildings they do not show up in the queue while building.

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    Time limited quests aren't a good idea as many players that might want to do the quest won't be able to finish them in time.

Adding quest chains to the quest book allowing players to complete them in their own time (or not do them) and allow them to do them with friends is far more fun. What an online game is all about is encouraging players to do events together.
    The chain quests do not have to be time limited. I do not think i was suggesting that at all. I was more talking about the time it should require a player to build one of those buildings... from a game balance point of view.

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I realise this is somewhat a necropost but I figured this is better than to make a new post about simular ideas.

Anyhow, how about a constructor like in Settlers 7?

It'd allow you to build more buildings simultaneously.

It'd be a godsend with all the mines, wells, fields we have to replace on a daily basis.

World
    Sandycove
    all those pictures are OKAY but its nothing for this game, the developers are very busy with making new buildings/features they are awesome
    like in this event the advent calendar, Awesome idea BB_/dev's keep up the good work
    Retired settler, may 2012 - oktober 2017

World
    Sandycove
    Building a huge monument on your island though some sort of quest chain would be pretty sweet and lots of fun. The costs should balance with the reward though. Also have to consider that the cost will be one time and the reward would be in effect forever after. Most of the level 50 players have space issues though so unless they put in the demo teams first its going to be a hassle for them. Loved settlers 4 btw that first building is where the Romans offered wine to their god.

Town Councillor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Any things better than the proposed exotic wood school... I like the effects you have written.

I would like the devs to focus on fixing a lot of the broken stuff before adding new content which they seem to keep neglecting.

Reply to Thread