Reply to Thread

Thread: agriculture before hunting?

World
    Newfoundland

agriculture before hunting?

Haha, yes. So I just wondered because it doesn't make sense that our little settlers first learn agriculture, and hunting only comes afterwards. And I thought it would be cool if one could collect the little wild animals moving around on the map and breed them into cattle on a farm?

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    So, this game is not the maidservant of history or any science anyway But the idea of livestock production is appeared some times before -- and also would be nice.

World
    Sandycove
    nice idea but we already have the deerstalker hut, so no need for any more livestock buildings... However, if we could have a fish farm

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    You have. Deerstalker is a little expensive, so not everyone has; also very "automated". Nothing to do with it, only pay for it, build it, then forget if we have or not...

World
    Sandycove
    and deerstalkers are available for presents at xmas; I very much doubt they will consider this idea if they have already introduced a livestock building to the game...

Quartermaster
    World
    Sandycove
    If you want to get picky, why isn't water a basic resource? Also, why does the iron smelter appear in the build menu ahead of the iron mine? Similarly, the butcher is before the hunter, and the coinage is before the gold smelter.

And if anyone's interested, "Outlaws" & "Nords" both have sheep/goat farms on their maps.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    I just played with the idea of ​​what if ... If there were a buildable and regularly refillable resource: livestock yard or hutch (its appearance could be similar to stable) --- and then it would be fillable with clicking on deers and boar walking all around the map. The population of free animals would depend on the wild deposits, and sties would have an amount limitation by leveling. But these were only resources, like wheatfields, and also the farmers should care for them, depends on what is the nearest: wheatfield or hutch. Its product is meat, implicitly.

Imho it could also has an aspect of domestication period (some cycle without production) and reproduction (stock increment slower than meat production). Subsequently if production use up the animals, the farmer goes to harvest to nearest wheatfield or other hutch until new animals arrive and domestication starts again; and if anyhow were not production for a long time, e.g. wheatfield closer to farm, when the livestock reaches the amount limit, the hutch get broken (anyway effect of depletion) and animals back into the wild, probably to random wild deposit. And if the finetuning such production chain were not complicated enough, could be different type of sties with different parameters: one for deers and one for boars. Hehe

I also thought about sheepyard, but imho it would be so boring, a new building alike stable or wheatfield, production based on other resources or a simple depletion method...
    Last edited by Brankovics; 12.10.13 at 13:37.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    Ah, yes, one more. Love potion would be affects animal reproduction, too

Reply to Thread