Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Epic Workyards

Town Councillor
    World
    Newfoundland
    To many unfinished other things (science system, PVP, star coins,) not to mention the endless list of bugs to be adding more stuff.

I get the feeling a new dev manager is needed one who can coordinate prioritys better.

For these new buildings to be built the refund cost on existing buildings needs to go up or its not even worth me deleting them.

BB epic fail.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    So I've just spent a few hours testing out the new "Epic Wood Yard".
    Should be called the Epic Fail Wood Yard, because here's my complete report:

So the first thing I've noticed about this particular item is the price. It costs a total 5000 Gems if you want to buy one, which for a settler who doesn't have a Gem Pit or who isn't willing to spend real money in a virtual world, this is a problem.

It's also the size and approximate shape of 2 guild halls. As such this makes it extremely unwieldly if you wish to place it in a wooded area of the map so as to take advantage of it's reforestation function or if you've already heavily built up your Island's map.

As to what the wood yard does, it comes with 3 initial setups, Reforest Pinewood at a rate of 5 every turn, reforest pinewood at a rate of 7 every turn and reforest Hardwood at a rate of 5 every turn.

After completing a rather unnecessary tutorial for how to use it you will be able to unlock the ability to saw wood, hard and pine, at the rate of a fully upgraded mill, 5 - 5, and the ability to make Coal at the rate of a fully upgraded coking plant 10 - 5.

While the Wood Yard Replants Trees and Turns wood into planks, it does not provide the function of turning trees into wood, which will put a strain on your resource chains if you decide to keep the buildings you have in addition to this one.

In addition to this, may I also say that although the improvement on the time of production is good, again, if the resource chains have been set up to carefully balance the production of one resource with the production of another I.E. Pinewood for Coal, then the improved rate will drain the resources faster, and since the production of wood is not improved or even a thought in the design for this building, the Wood Yard Will force the settler to build more Lumber yards, hence making him build more reforester yards, neutralizing the effect that the increased production has for freeing up building permits.

It only provides 3 functions at a time, so keep in mind, if you're going to remove buildings and replace them with the work yard, the maximum you can remove and keep your production the same is:
    3 Fully Upgraded Pinewood Reforesters
    OR
    3 Fully Upgraded Pinewood Sawmills
    OR
    3 Fully Upgraded Coking Plants
    OR
    3 Fully Upgraded Hardwood Reforesters
    OR
    3 Fully Upgrade Hardwood Sawmills
    OR
    3 Fully Upgraded Exotic Wood Sawmills
    Or Some Combination of the three.

I don't know anyone with One Fully upgraded Exotic Wood Sawmill much less 3 of them that they're thinking of getting rid of.

It appears that you can buff the Work Yard. As to the range of buffs that work on the yard apparently the only one at the moment is the magic Bean Soup, and we all know how easy THAT is to get a hold of.

I've peeked into the quests that you have to complete in order to fully unlock the epic wood yard. They're upgrade quests and you'll be paying a lot of resources to unlock 1 function of the work yard, much less all of them. I doesn't seem to be worth it.

Quests:
    Bi-Metal Blades
    Pay: 12,000 Bronze Ingots and 2,000 Iron Ingots
    Unlocks: 7 Pinewood -> 7 Pinewood Planks

Marble Furnace:
    Pay: 15,000 Marble and 1,200 Iron Ingots
    Unlocks: 14 Pinewood -> 7 Coal

Steel Jointers:
    Pay: 17,000 Steel Ingots and 15,000 Hardwood Planks
    Unlocks: 7 hardwood -> 7 Hardwood Planks

The Forest Thickens:
    Pay: 8,000 Water, 7,200 Hardwood Planks and 6,000 Tools
    Unlocks: Add 7 Hardwood to a Hardwood Deposit every turn instead of 5 every turn.

Granite Coking Ovens:
    Pay: 450 Granite and 12,000 Hardwood Planks
    Unlocks: 5 Hardwood -> 5 Coal

Titanium Tools:
    Pay: 18,000 Titanium Ingots, 12,000 Granite and 600 Coin
    Unlocks: 5 Exoticwood -> 5 Exoticwood Planks

I don't see any reason why these upgrades are this expensive for such minor improvements and conveniences of existing resource chains, especially when you consider that the price of this item, in Euros, is E 31.25, and in American Dollars is $43.06. Since I'm from Canada that works out to $44.75.

For the price of unlocking any one of these functions in the Epic Wood Yard, you could easily buy all the wood resources you need, so quite frankly, it's not worth it.
    I'm sending a copy of this report to the Devs and asking them to discard this idea entirely as it is not practical in size, scale, resource chain or upgrade price.
    Last edited by Kanhai; 23.10.13 at 21:29. Reason: Addition of Text and Grammar errors

Town Councillor
    World
    Newfoundland
    From reading the above and quickly logging on to test and trying for myself I must totally agree.

It seems someone in Bluebyte has thought how can we try and bring in more money rather than make our existing loyal customers (players) happy and want to stick with us. If you continue to go a head with stupid things like this eventually there will be no more players. Fix the existing problems and address the previous dev diarys instead of introducing garbage that seems to be a quick attempt at making some more money.

Original Serf
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexno View Post
    Did you notice that the production time of a resource is much shorter then the ordinary building?
    Pinewood Forrester is normally 2:15, in workyard 35 seconds
    Coker is normally 3:00, in workyard 1:00 minute
    Pinewood Sawmill is normally 3:00, in workyard 1:00 minute
    The problem with that is that it strains the Res. production chains that people have already set up and balanced on their islands. If you go from production every 3 minutes to every 1 minute, you've tripled the rate of intake as well as output. As such any benefit from 1 building with the same production as 6 is canceled out. If you bulldoze the 6 plank producers you have in favour of 1 work yard, you now have to build and upgrade 6 New Lumber yards to provide for the one building, assuming you don't also have to build new foresters in the immediate area of the lumber yards in order to rebalance the production chain.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Kanhai View Post
    So the first thing I've noticed about this particular item is the price. It costs a total 5000 Gems if you want to buy one, which for a settler who doesn't have a Gem Pit or who isn't willing to spend real money in a virtual world, this is a problem.

I don't see any reason why these upgrades are this expensive for such minor improvements and conveniences of existing resource chains, especially when you consider that the price of this item, in Euros, is E 31.25, and in American Dollars is $43.06. Since I'm from Canada that works out to $44.75.

For the price of unlocking any one of these functions in the Epic Wood Yard, you could easily buy all the wood resources you need, so quite frankly, it's not worth it.
    I'm sending a copy of this report to the Devs and asking them to discard this idea entirely as it is not practical in size, scale, resource chain or upgrade price.
    The woodyard costs 5k Magic beans, not 5k Gems.
    Also as I wrote in the previous page the woodyard can replace 6 fully upgraded hw/pw sawmills or 6 coking plants, not 3 as you wrote (look at the picture I linked).

The idea is good, but with x2 buffs only with beans its not worth it.
    Last edited by Benedicter; 23.10.13 at 22:14.

Norway - Birthland of giants......and trolls.
    World
    Newfoundland
    After buying it and testing it, I could only laugh. Footprint six by four. Sure, that will fit nicely into any map. Oh wait there was a bush there and a three there. And what's that grey there? Oh stone rubble. Well it's time to reorganize my entire production line. But that's okay. It will after all produce a lot of planks and coal compared with the existing production lines. And buffed with only 2000 coins worth of magic beans it will produce double for 8 hours. Hmm. Well planks of any kind and coal is after all very expensive and exotic wood is very hard to come by. I do need a lot of that. Since I have huuuuge piles of granite that I want to use for upgrades, but I lack exotic wood planks. And the upgrades to produce coal and exotic wood and not to mention 2 extra pine wood planks per production cycle doesn't cost much at all.

Norway - Birthland of giants......and trolls.
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedicter View Post
    The woodyard costs 5k Magic beans, not 5k Gems.
    Look again!!!

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Saraptheold View Post
    Look again!!!
    I did

World
    Sandycove
    It's available under "Architect" where it costs 5k Gems AND it's also available under "Epic Items" where it costs 5k Magic Beans.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexno View Post
    It's available under "Architect" where it costs 5k Gems AND it's also available under "Epic Items" where it costs 5k Magic Beans.
    lol
    Anyway I just followed the quests and it says there to open the Epic items section.

Reply to Thread