Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: [Tool] FastSim V5.0 [update]- New simulator for settlers online

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I'm using your Simulator for about 2 weeks now and enjoying it a lot. Honestly i heard for faster simulators and they turned out not to be so and FastSim seems to be totally the most accurate and never failed me one single Recruit too much using Nusala so far, so i'm a big fan here. But...

But i think you could fix the side scrolling by sizing the horizontal frames using % and verticals as you wish since it shouldn't bother anyone.
    Also i just saw refresh after refresh that you did a few nice and useful changes there on where we change and pick our troops. I would like to suggest making the box of the number of troops a big larger and the arrows a bit larger too and make sure they're as easy to click as possible without over-sizing them.

Another thing is i couldn't simulate hitting 2 camps in a row with one General. At least not with Nusala, didn't think of trying others but that would be very nice to be able to do that. Also try making those tabs of Generals a bit larger too so we can click them easier and quicker, just a bit. Camp's tabs could be a good example too, making them a bit higher as you use the full width too.

And one last thing. I would appreciate it if you'd make the click-zone on the picture on top-right where you click to pick the enemy camps as full sized as possible cause many times it doesn't catch my clicks unless i click right on center. Just a comfortability thing but i guessed these must be little things that could count as positive touches on the interface.

Also... Was thinking if you wanna touch the calculation structure maybe you could speed up a bit the usual brute power unit's simulations by limit-counting the meat-shield effect. Meaning, you can add an offense and deffense limit for each enemy camp for example which won't have to be calculated. Like, if you're using a Normal General let's say and planing to kill using a full wave of recruits or any other troops without splash or first strike skills you can be sure the max offense from player (supposing the player always has first hit in this scenarios and then enemy camp units) You can be sure the player's offense is no less than
    "(Min Troop DMG) X Troop number. And that cuts the line then the same with the max and you may cut yourself some unnecessary calculations on
    "Find Best Attack" simulations. Using this in double waves and trilples should be quite some difference considering you'll do better than this just attaching the loops you already been using.

Then again... I would like to hope you could get into some serious work in there and turn the simulations into something more intensely improved like, having calculations cut down a high % of different calculations that contain a very low minimal chance to win and don't pass a max % of win chance, then you can safely cut that out and repeat that for every X% of simulations with each troop and try to upgrade that efficiently by your hard work running tests and simulations to check for mistakes. That takes some time and some detailed work maybe but i think would be worth a lot if you try a quick mix for a test and see the results. (Of course you'd have to run a lot of tests of many kinds before you put it out but each success should help a lot if the numbers remain safe.)

On that note, you may as well add a "debugger-like" calculation in the end to check how reliable that simulation was and that can run on background real lightly and smooth as soon as the user is getting the fresh result of the simulation already. Mean time the reliability of the simulation can show as a % and a simple line easily visible on the bottom of the middle column with the note you wish and the result and also a button as an option to run the rest of the calculations from where it stopped. Which will be just extra time and simulations that been mostly considered from bad and worthless to even count already through the process anyway but if somebody wants to be extra sure or is playing risky hits and needs extra guarantees can get the full size there while everybody else will have it totally unnecessary in about 80% of the cases and most of those people won't find it even worth the time for such attacks that include double or triple waves of Recruits and Bowman that end with a safe cheap kill on final wave. In other words it should generally have absolutely no negative effect as long as you only play your numbers safe not cutting out possibly good combos and also as long as you make sure there's no bugs and it's all ready to go which should be pretty easy considering most of the processes should be just calling other functions and procedures you already have in use just like everything already runs perfectly fine and safe.

Also, offering people to log in and save the simulations they choose and find as the best and even give them the option to calculate the resources to be lost from minimum to maximum of each kind (Also the expected loses as simulator tells min and max expected troops to lose and picks the ones most likely to happen) in two different blocks of info about the final results of all their chosen simulations, which should allow people to keep track of their costs per each Adventure and even make it extremely much easier for people to come over there and drop a great guide that works on numbers for them and post it straight from your interfaces using your given tools and options and being able to share them through social medias too and of course on Forums here and so on. Have to say it does take a lot of work any of these starting from the first few lines i wrote the rest are no easy stuff to do i guess but hey, all i got is thoughts and ideas. :P I'm just the math guy with a million ideas.

Sorry for the long comment here just thought could be useful if you'd do them and hoping for the best since this is definitely the best simulator for me so far and haven't seen one to match your level at any point.

Wish you good luck and hoping for the best from the best and thanks for the simulator.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Divine_Evil View Post
    Hey it may have been suggested previously, but I don't have time to read through this thread.

It would be great if after the simulation for Best Attack, the results are taken and each of them ran 10k times. Then sorted by minimum loses... This way it will save me a few clicks and the losses will be more accurately predicted.

P.S. The number of results is double what is specified in the field... Could be a bug, could be a feature...
    Max simulations are 2500 when searching for best attacks but in results you can simulate 10k individually, this make all faster. You can sort by different parameters (3 parameters, and you select them ). About the results, it is based in your cpu number. Each CPU returns the ammount of results selected...

For example if you have 4 cpus and 20 results it will return 80 (top 20 for each cpu core).

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by WildTaurus View Post
    I'm using your Simulator for about 2 weeks now and enjoying it a lot. Honestly i heard for faster simulators and they turned out not to be so and FastSim seems to be totally the most accurate and never failed me one single Recruit too much using Nusala so far, so i'm a big fan here. But...
    First thanks for your long comment, i love this kind of comments. I'm reading it carefully answering all, if i forget something just tell me .

But i think you could fix the side scrolling by sizing the horizontal frames using % and verticals as you wish since it shouldn't bother anyone.
    Also i just saw refresh after refresh that you did a few nice and useful changes there on where we change and pick our troops. I would like to suggest making the box of the number of troops a big larger and the arrows a bit larger too and make sure they're as easy to click as possible without over-sizing them.
    Yes, i agree with you, will take a look later

Another thing is i couldn't simulate hitting 2 camps in a row with one General. At least not with Nusala, didn't think of trying others but that would be very nice to be able to do that. Also try making those tabs of Generals a bit larger too so we can click them easier and quicker, just a bit. Camp's tabs could be a good example too, making them a bit higher as you use the full width too.
    Yes, you can simulate 2 camps but not in search of best attacks. Anyways when you attack 2 camps usually the first is an easy camp. This sets the min troops needed for next search. Normal combat simulator allows it, just clicking where the swords are with text c1 (camp 1).

And one last thing. I would appreciate it if you'd make the click-zone on the picture on top-right where you click to pick the enemy camps as full sized as possible cause many times it doesn't catch my clicks unless i click right on center. Just a comfortability thing but i guessed these must be little things that could count as positive touches on the interface.
    will check it, probably not a problem .

Also... Was thinking if you wanna touch the calculation structure maybe you could speed up a bit the usual brute power unit's simulations by limit-counting the meat-shield effect. Meaning, you can add an offense and deffense limit for each enemy camp for example which won't have to be calculated. Like, if you're using a Normal General let's say and planing to kill using a full wave of recruits or any other troops without splash or first strike skills you can be sure the max offense from player (supposing the player always has first hit in this scenarios and then enemy camp units) You can be sure the player's offense is no less than
    "(Min Troop DMG) X Troop number. And that cuts the line then the same with the max and you may cut yourself some unnecessary calculations on
    "Find Best Attack" simulations. Using this in double waves and trilples should be quite some difference considering you'll do better than this just attaching the loops you already been using.
    It is very optimized already, i'm a optimizer freak :P. It is my main task always, and i come from low level programing world (i work with microcontrollers usually, this is just a hobby :P). Simulations in fastsim are real combat simulators, i mean that other simulators dont make real simulations when multiple waves, what they do is calculate first wave, get the average lost and use that as source for second wave,... after 2 or 3 waves results can be very different and unreal.

Then again... I would like to hope you could get into some serious work in there and turn the simulations into something more intensely improved like, having calculations cut down a high % of different calculations that contain a very low minimal chance to win and don't pass a max % of win chance, then you can safely cut that out and repeat that for every X% of simulations with each troop and try to upgrade that efficiently by your hard work running tests and simulations to check for mistakes. That takes some time and some detailed work maybe but i think would be worth a lot if you try a quick mix for a test and see the results. (Of course you'd have to run a lot of tests of many kinds before you put it out but each success should help a lot if the numbers remain safe.)

On that note, you may as well add a "debugger-like" calculation in the end to check how reliable that simulation was and that can run on background real lightly and smooth as soon as the user is getting the fresh result of the simulation already. Mean time the reliability of the simulation can show as a % and a simple line easily visible on the bottom of the middle column with the note you wish and the result and also a button as an option to run the rest of the calculations from where it stopped. Which will be just extra time and simulations that been mostly considered from bad and worthless to even count already through the process anyway but if somebody wants to be extra sure or is playing risky hits and needs extra guarantees can get the full size there while everybody else will have it totally unnecessary in about 80% of the cases and most of those people won't find it even worth the time for such attacks that include double or triple waves of Recruits and Bowman that end with a safe cheap kill on final wave. In other words it should generally have absolutely no negative effect as long as you only play your numbers safe not cutting out possibly good combos and also as long as you make sure there's no bugs and it's all ready to go which should be pretty easy considering most of the processes should be just calling other functions and procedures you already have in use just like everything already runs perfectly fine and safe.
    Yes, i have in mind to start returning results each few seconds (and be updating those rows). The thing is that all is in paralel running using threads and i must take some care or user computers will crash, hehehe. I will answer you a bit longer later tonight to this .

Also, offering people to log in and save the simulations they choose and find as the best and even give them the option to calculate the resources to be lost from minimum to maximum of each kind (Also the expected loses as simulator tells min and max expected troops to lose and picks the ones most likely to happen) in two different blocks of info about the final results of all their chosen simulations, which should allow people to keep track of their costs per each Adventure and even make it extremely much easier for people to come over there and drop a great guide that works on numbers for them and post it straight from your interfaces using your given tools and options and being able to share them through social medias too and of course on Forums here and so on. Have to say it does take a lot of work any of these starting from the first few lines i wrote the rest are no easy stuff to do i guess but hey, all i got is thoughts and ideas. :P I'm just the math guy with a million ideas.
    Version 4.0 will include an historic of all simulations done by ppl where you will be able to index/filter by a lot of parameters. The log feature is probably good, but i dont like characters for troops, i prefer images (R for recluits, etc), probably an export to html, i have to study it .

I didnt include the resources cost because at this point ppl are level 50-60 more and resources to make troups are not specially important, the most important thing is production times in barracks (It is the main problem usually). This is the reason because i changed the whole site to sort by barracks production time instead of gold cost. Anyways i will write it in my todo list. Continue sharing your ideas

Sorry for the long comment here just thought could be useful if you'd do them and hoping for the best since this is definitely the best simulator for me so far and haven't seen one to match your level at any point.

Wish you good luck and hoping for the best from the best and thanks for the simulator.
    I loved your message and all this information/ideas will help me a lot. All ideas are welcomed, and i have had some interesting optimizations ideas after reading you

Best regards.
    Last edited by FastSimTSOmaps; 12.01.17 at 13:57.

Pathfinder
    World
    Sandycove
    Why can´t I change generals.

When I push general, list of generals appear, but frozen and I can´t change to other.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jespair View Post
    Why can´t I change generals.

When I push general, list of generals appear, but frozen and I can´t change to other.
    What browser are you using? and what Version? I tried Chrome, firefox and both worked ok. Only problems with old IExplorer

If chrome, please press CTRL + SHIFT + I to open the developer console, and press console. If you can copy/paste what you see there would be nice to fix it. Thanks in advance.

Original Serf
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by FastSimTSOmaps View Post
    Max simulations are 2500 when searching for best attacks but in results you can simulate 10k individually, this make all faster. You can sort by different parameters (3 parameters, and you select them ).
    I think you misunderstood my suggestion... In general there is no point in run every permutation up to 2500 times... slows the simulation a lot. From my experience 25 sims per permutation is OK. But then I have to run 10k sims on each result manually to find the lowest one.

Usually I search with the following settings:
    Increment 1, Sims 25, Generals 1, Processes 2, Results 20. The general is Anslem.
    About 3 unit types range from 0-150 + maybe 1-2 more types with ranges 0-10. This causes a search of about 2 mins for my old Macbook Pro.
    So if I can even use 5 Sims and then run the results each 10k... I can have almost 5x speedup, since what I care about is the lowest losses... Also the results permutation are almost always close to each other...

Quote Originally Posted by FastSimTSOmaps View Post
    About the results, it is based in your cpu number. Each CPU returns the amount of results selected...
    For example if you have 4 cpus and 20 results it will return 80 (top 20 for each cpu core).
    Maybe it's good to calculate the menu based on the selected core number? Or just change the string to "Result Number per process"
    Last edited by Divine_Evil; 12.01.17 at 17:23.

World
    Sandycove
    ty for updates, makes it handier bu now that I m trying to sim 1 recruit just with Vargus, seems not to be able to do so anymore. Simulate button not lightened

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazillia View Post
    ty for updates, makes it handier bu now that I m trying to sim 1 recruit just with Vargus, seems not to be able to do so anymore. Simulate button not lightened
    You are right, fixed. Up and Down button were not calculating if the simulation button had to be enabled.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    I think you misunderstood my suggestion... In general there is no point in run every permutation up to 2500 times... slows the simulation a lot. From my experience 25 sims per permutation is OK. But then I have to run 10k sims on each result manually to find the lowest one.

Usually I search with the following settings:
    Increment 1, Sims 25, Generals 1, Processes 2, Results 20. The general is Anslem.
    About 3 unit types range from 0-150 + maybe 1-2 more types with ranges 0-10. This causes a search of about 2 mins for my old Macbook Pro.
    So if I can even use 5 Sims and then run the results each 10k... I can have almost 5x speedup, since what I care about is the lowest losses... Also the results permutation are almost always close to each other...
    In my case i do small simulations too but at least 100 simulations and inc 2 to 5. (i have a I7 cpu). With the new filter feature it will be a lot easier to find the right results in attacks. Yes, permutations are usually very close, but with increment 1 it is normal :P. The system is done in this way for a reason, to collect the best simulation for future features that i will add soon. 10k simulations are done vs the server while search best attack is done in your computer.

Maybe it's good to calculate the menu based on the selected core number? Or just change the string to "Result Number per process"
    When all is run under one cpu all results are compared between them but in multiple cores conditions are ran in different threads, this mean that you can miss some good values if you for example have 8 cpus and 20 results (2.5 results for each core).

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    I have been using your simulator and it is quite good. Good job man.
    I found some problems with it:
    Unit Value does not update after registering (and is not using that predefined values in registered user page). Instead it uses values:
    Recruit 1
    Militia 2
    Soldier 3
    Elite Soldier 7
    Calvary 3
    Bowman 1
    Longbowman 1
    Crossbowman 3
    Cannoneer 9
    (i got that when testing with 100 of each -? there are no decimal form registered page)
    (also when i changed values to numbers like 11-99 they were remembered on page but not used in calculation).

2nd:
    I have barracks lvl 3 and my barracks times are different from simulator:
    NAME YOUR_time MY_time
    Recruit 60 60
    Militia 80 160
    Soldier 160 240
    Calvary 160 240
    Bowman 240 80
    Longbowman 240 160

thx, keep up good work

Reply to Thread