Reply to Thread

Thread: More realistic gem pricing of in-game features

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle

More realistic gem pricing of in-game features

It's great to have the option to spend gems on hurrying things up in-game, but would anyone really consider spending 21,834 gems to upgrade their bookbinder from level 4 to level 5? This is higher than the cost of 365 premium days!

There are many other examples around the game, everyone has their favourite ludicrously-priced item.

If gem spend on trivial items e.g. speeding up the item being produced in the barracks or provision house were cut to micro-level payments (e.g. 5 gems to complete 25 cannoneers), I would suggest that the total gem spend (excluding inadvertent clicks, but that's another subject) would actually rise... 500 x 5 gems is more than 0 x 200 gems.

I'm not suggesting the cost of buildings etc. should be changed, just trivial items.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Northisle
    Fully agree with OP.

At times you run into a bottleneck in your gameplay, like if you were thinking about doing a block on the adventure you're currently on, but notice that it costs more elites/cavalry or other slow-producing unit than you currently have. Instead of coming to a standstill for 30 minutes, you might well be inclined to instant-complete your production for a FEW gems. But if the gem cost is higher than the value of the loot on the adventure you need the troops for, then there is nothing to be gained with the speed up function. Instant completion of 25 cavalry costs 200 gems! One can afford any Epic Adventure lootspot with the value of that gemstuff.

Or your explorers might be on their search for a bit too long that you want. You plan to leave in 2 hours, but your explorers return in 3 hours. Halving the search time would solve this problem, but again, if the gem value of the speed up is higher than the treasure they find, then there's no point. Halving a long treasure search costs 30 gems, and the highest value reward you can get is 30 granite or 100 gold ore. Even with maxed out explorer skills one will still get a higher profit by simply selling gemstuff. You could get 300 granite or 1000 gold ore for a noble residence on my server. That's 3x the gem cost for 10x the resources. And remember, there's no guarantees that the explorer would find these best items, and the feature only halves the search time, not instantly finishes it.

Point is, if there's more to gain by waiting that there is by speeding up, then no one in their right mind will pay extra for it. I don't want to speed up making a loss, I want to speed up making a profit. Remember that if you are spending real money on the game, then you always have the option to sell to others some gem-bought goods rather than spend them on these "helpful" features. So spending 500 gems to gain 4000gc fast isn't worth it if you can sell 500 gems worth of gemstuff for 5000gc and still get the 4000gc at a slower pace.

"Yay I managed to make 1000gc loss in 2h!"
    or
    "Yay I managed to make 4000gc profit in 12h!"

Is there really a choice?

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle
    http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...ng-in-merchant

Extension of this other thread. In fact I think people mentioned this extortion in the other thread as well. Buying gems really doesn't offer good value for money

Reply to Thread