Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Guilds sending unsolicited Guild Invites to strangers

Eggcellent Essayist Mortallicus's Avatar
    World
    Northisle
    and the invites are still coming from the same guild. I agree Kit it is not just unsolicited invites to other guiilds' members that should be stopped but those sending to players not in a guild too.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Or maybe Invites should be treated the same as person to person trades, I.E they have to be on your friends list for 24 hours before a guild invite can be sent. This at least would provide a cool down period where remove friend can be used in the appropriate circumstances.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Town Crier
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by fishslice View Post
    BB_Ravel Please consider updating the rules to make this behaviour unacceptable.
    +1

Lots of good ideas as to how to handle it here... surely one of them should be implemented. There is one certain guild here on Northisle that I used to get mails from every week or two asking if I would like an invite. That stopped for a good while, but now that same guild seems to be skipping the (relatively) polite mail and jumping straight to the unsolicited invite. Quite frankly, IMO, it's bang out of order!

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Don't you think a simple "Block sender" should work here?
    Why suggest changes that would make it a lot worse for guild leaders that do not abuse guild invites..

You're talking about getting several invites per week.
    As guild leader I get several non-qualified applications per day. That means I have to write and send a mail back to ask for informationen needed, for each and every of them. You're suggestion is to make that even more?
    25/11-14 , 23/02-16 .. The end is coming and it will look like this .

World
    Newfoundland
    SmurfAsh, you realise the rules state that all guild recruitment is supposed to be done via the forum, so no sending unsolicited invites via mail, no recruiting in chat. Guilds are supposed to receive guild applications via the shield or mail from the person wanting to join a guild, not the other way around. You may not like receiving all those applications, but that is how it is supposed to work.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    We have had the guild applications now for less than a year.
    I think guild invites have been sent since the introduction of guilds. How comes that's been a big issue now and why can't that be solved by a simple "Block sender"?

World
    Newfoundland
    Doesn't solve the issue of some guilds using global as a recruiting method and sending invites to any new player as soon as they talk in global. I recently had a new player in help who had accepted such a guild invite, he actually said he thought a guild tag was just for show, as there was no-one ever talking in his guild chat, and he had no idea what a guild was supposed to be like. After many players explaining what a guild was supposed to do and what he was missing out on, he promptly left his guild and joined another (better) one. There are many new players getting caught like this, only to find out their guild is really no good after asking for help in chat and being told their guild is supposed to be offering trades/buffs/help. Some players don't even know what a guild quest is, as their guild is too small to even get them and the guild leaders are not giving any information.
    Yes, any guild sending unsolicited mails repeatedly can be blocked, but doesn't solve the entire problem with regards to unsolicited guild recruitment and lurker guilds.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Well, the entire problem is bigger than just unsolicited guild recruitment and lurker guilds. Your suggestion do not solve it, but instead pushing it to serious guild leaders.

Your example of that new player being in a "nonsense guild" would probably not even looking for a guild in the first place and would still have no clue what a guild was supposed to be like..
    Atleast, being active in global channels makes him available for valuable information like that you passed on to him.
    Since the introduction of achievements, there has been a lot more applications.. Almost everyone do not qualify in my guild, but if sent to a "lurker guild"...what do you think would happen?

(Yes, that player will probably NEVER get the idea what a guild was supposed to be like.)

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    Maybe a limit on how many invites a day can be sent or maybe a cost in guild coins per invite.
    Seriously, they should even cost Gems, at an increasing cost of 1/invite, resetting with each new day.

1 invite = free.
    2nd invite= 1 gem
    3rd invite = 2 gems

That would still make it possible to recruit as much as you want, as even 20 newmembers would come at the low, low price of 190 gems (fairly affordable) but spamming guild invites would be ... uh, costly
    Last edited by Sharpielein; 27.07.14 at 11:59.

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland
    I think sending invites to people already in a guild is wrong. They are in one and can make up their own mind.
    I don't think it is wrong for a mid-level guild to 'tempt' the new players. They will get the advantages of the guild - hopefully with support and tips, and when they are stable players can move on to another if they feel the guild isn't doing enough for them.
    Don't forget, at the beginning of the game there are enough other things to learn and process. A lot of people (not me) probably don't dive right into the forum to understand the finer points of the game.

I think - no direct invites to people already in a guild. If they actively want to change guilds, they can quit the one they are in and get the invite to the new one.

Reply to Thread