Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Forum Guide: Using BB tags

Battle Hardened Contributor Jamdoggy's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Added [highlight], [clear] and [video] tags to the OP.

Huge thanks to BB_Rawren for helping to get the [clear] tags copied over from the US forums, and thanks also to BB_Ravel and Fexno for adding it here, and letting me know.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    No doubt it's an oversight but it might also be nice to give a nod to the earlier thread from .net and its creator: How to make fancypants posts with BB Code
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 05.03.14 at 17:25.

Battle Hardened Contributor Jamdoggy's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Indeed, I learned a few things from CL_Aquila's post on the US forums, and it was my inspiration for my post. I thanked her a while ago in the thread you linked to.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Aye, hence the guess of "oversight". Generally the done thing is to cite one's sources in the finished product.

It is also just fun for an earlier author to see their work noted in new places if it roams, and less fun to stumble upon it unmarked. Though there is now a link from there to here there hasn't been even a standard citation here, which is a little unusual.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamdoggy View Post
    Added [highlight], [clear] and [video] tags to the OP.

Huge thanks to BB_Rawren for helping to get the [clear] tags copied over from the US forums, and thanks also to BB_Ravel and Fexno for adding it here, and letting me know.
    BB_Rawren helped with some of the other tags also. So a HUGE thank you to her from me also. I will also give her the link to this thread.
    Last edited by BB_Ravel; 06.03.14 at 13:37.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Clearly 'indirect' was not the way to go here.

Sources are also cited so we do not commit plagiarism, nor even appear to.

When a work is as heavily inspired by another as the original post was here the earlier piece should be referenced immediately. A frequently non-functioning link to a player profile posted a month on when the source material is readily available is, quite simply, a very odd choice.

While it would just have made sense to include the forum generated list of working BB code for no other reason than that it exists and updates automatically if anything changes, ever since a very slightly adapted bit directly from it has been added to the post it now needs to be cited.

It would probably be wise at this point to also include the Smilies due in part to certain similarities of phrasing and just to cover all the bases.

The resistance and disregard shown in this thread for something as simple as appropriate attribution really is completely baffling.

NB: Links to the local forum list of BB codes and the alternate page for Smilies can be found, with some digging, in the forum FAQ -> Reading and Posting Messages or, again, by scrolling to the bottom of any thread page.
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 17.03.14 at 21:44. Reason: Specfied 'local' forum, they can differ from language version to language version.

Reply to Thread