Thread: New auction channel rules suggestions

World
    Sandycove

New auction channel rules suggestions

please add a thread for feedback on your latest announcement on G3 auctions

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Sandycove
    Ravel, please may we have a feedback thread for Namib's Auction Channel post in "Rules and Conduct"?
    I am not happy for announcements for forthcoming auctions to be made in Help or Global tabs, think they should be restricted to Trade tab only otherwise things are going to get really messy.
    Thanks.

World
    Sandycove
    I +1 this, restrict it to trade tab only

[ This post (and the one directly above) was moved here from "[Feedback] Change Log - 20/02/2014 (Next version)" ]
    Last edited by Fexno; 18.02.14 at 07:07.

Forum Explorer
    World
    Sandycove
    Since auction is a form of trading, it is just obvious that should be announced in trade channel. If I simply chatting on global-1-2-x, or I have problem, so I glean the help channel, I don't want meet with announcements. Further, if I'm intrested in auctions, I don't want scan more than one channel...

World
    Newfoundland
    Since you guys already made this thread, I don't see a problem with having the feedback in here.

It is irregular to have feedback on rules, however, so I will ask you all to follow some simple rules.

1. Please phrase your ideas as suggestions. We are open to constructive criticism.

2. Stay polite. Whether you like the idea of an auction channel or not, our only goal is to keep players happy. Please remember that.

3. Please give arguments for the suggestions you offer. While this channel was created based on user feedback, we can obviously not have the unique perspective of every user.

Thank you for your feedback!

Ravel

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Cheers Ravel, since this is more or less a new thing a feedback spot seems helpful.

After an introduction period so people get used to the idea of them and know where to look for info +1 on keeping the announcements confined to the trade tab. Even with all good intentions, if auctions grow popular things like that can get quickly spammy.
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 18.02.14 at 13:17. Reason: Reformatted thought

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Northisle
    just have an auction tab simpIes

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Northisle
    Thanks Ravel,
    no problem with an Auction channel at all, as long as players realise that all dealings carry a risk. Caveat Emptor and all that.
    The problem is with allowing "advertising" to me made on the non-trade tabs, global and help. Experience shows that this will be a nightmare even if it isn't abused, and would prove impossible to police. It would also undermine existing rule that trade related activity is confined to the trade tab.
    The "Mods would adjudicate..." part also worries me, apart from occupying them from other tasks just monitoring this, we have had bad experiences elsewhere in similar situations. We regularly used to run quizzes on the French servers, which were a lot of fun if it hadn't been for a nasty quirk in the system. Depending how close the server believes you are to it (ie: ping times), the order in which chat displays messages is different for every player. Even without lag, disputes were many and screenshots proved that it was impossible to tell who had got an answer in first. With lag it descended into farce with answers appearing minutes after they were made. Cost me a 700 granite prize!

Town Councillor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogbad2 View Post
    Depending how close the server believes you are to it (ie: ping times), the order in which chat displays messages is different for every player. Even without lag, disputes were many and screenshots proved that it was impossible to tell who had got an answer in first. With lag it descended into farce with answers appearing minutes after they were made. Cost me a 700 granite prize!
    5. In the event of a dispute over which player made the last bid the auctioneer may ask a MOD (if MOD's are not present please ask a non bidding player) to copy/paste the winning bid showing on their chat screen to confirm the winner

This is a point I messaged to Namib which was met with no reply. How can you have the above as a rule when each player sees the chat channel differently. When bidding its all about getting the last bid in seconds before it closes beating someone and this means lots of people writing their offer with in very short space of each other and on each persons chat log viewing it will show these differently as we have experienced on newfoundland before

My other point is what if someone who is on my ignore list but does not know it joins the auction, I would not even see the bids they make, meaning they are raising the price falsely as they actually stand no chance of winning because as far as I am concerned they are not even there.

There are to many bad factors to run this in a chat channel without getting a lot of problems. When one person every now and then had an auction it was fun but to turn this into something which is actually supported by BB but cannot be moderated properly I think is just asking for trouble.
    Last edited by PChamps; 19.02.14 at 21:37.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Sandycove
    Thank you guys for your feedback, it has been really helpful for me in trying to shape the auction channel.

The idea is that I am trying to create an official space for people who want to hold auctions.

Regarding spam and lag issue, so long as auctions are not popular, I do not think that there is any harm in advertising in global-1 and help and therefore it will be allowed for now. The reason is that auctions are so few that if they are only announced in trade, they are likely to be missed. Once auctions become more popular we can rework the rule again.

With the lag/ignore, the most efficient thing is to add rule that the winner is determined by what the auctioneer sees. In case of dispute the auctioneer provides a screenshot.

If you guys have any further feedback and suggestions please let me know, otherwise I will implement this in the auction rules.

Cheers
    BB_Namib

Reply to Thread