Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Dump flash

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle

Dump flash

Not a game suggestion as such, but please, dump flash.
    It is a system hog, with a memory leak you can turn an oil tanker in.
    And it is the only reason why tso won't play on a tablet.

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Northisle
    +1

Town Councillor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Doesn't that mean basically remake the whole game on a different platform? they cant even fix tiny bugs that have been here for years and you think they have time to completely change the platform it runs on?

I can play this on iPad using a browser like puffin.

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle
    Do you have any xp with that? Or are you talking hypothetically?

Town Councillor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Wreckless- View Post
    Do you have any xp with that? Or are you talking hypothetically?
    I dont understand your question. You are saying dump flash, if the game is a flash game which is a programming language then you would have to recreate the whole game in a new one.

If you are talking about the browser on iPad and not the first thing I said then yes I have used puffin and when I last used it the game played fine.

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland
    It's would not be make whole game from scratch but only UI, but I agree it will take so much time that's impossible to happen.

And browsers like Puffin (you're playing the game on their cloud) works fine.

World
    Newfoundland
    I think a shift to HTML5 would be fantastic for TSO. It would force to developers to create a new code-base, and give them a chance to restructure the entire thing. Judging from the current development cycle I can only imagine that the current code is a completely unmanageable mess. It would also reduce crashes and improve accessibility.

I don't think it's ever going to happen, though :P
    EVO is recruiting.
    Players of all levels and experiences welcome. We like to teach.
    Take a look at our recruitment thread, or send me a PM if you're interested.
    Join the evolution today!

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Have you any idea of how long it takes to make a game like Settlers?

If you're asking the developers to rewrite the whole code in HTML5, and run through the internal testing, then closed beta, then open beta, etc. It could be another 3-4 years before you get to see the game again.

and by the time they do get finished, there will probably be a better programming language available and the same argument will start all over again

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by MOD_Daz View Post
    Have you any idea of how long it takes to make a game like Settlers?[...]
    Do you? Please explain your estimate of 3-4 years. That's about 3-4 times the production cycle of a AAA FPS game.
    And you think that's a realistic estimate for port of an already designed game onto new technology? You must think even less of the BB Developers than the general forum population.
    EVO is recruiting.
    Players of all levels and experiences welcome. We like to teach.
    Take a look at our recruitment thread, or send me a PM if you're interested.
    Join the evolution today!

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Which ever language you want to write a game in, some one will always find something to moan about. I have given up with buying so called released games because they are so bug ridden it is unbelievable. You then spend the next months downloading new versions because the new design was so bad the only way to attempt to eliminate bugs is to re write all the code and hope no new bugs are inserted, then after 6 months the developers have moved on to new games.

I don't have a tablet - I threw my ipad away after 6 months because it was a total waste of money, but the reason tablets are now cheap is because they pare back the hardware and then the software and then you have to rely on their "cloud" do some of the work. If you buy a restricted piece of hardware, you need to accept at some stage you will find software limitations - Buyer beware

Reply to Thread