Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop the coin inflation!

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueFairy View Post
    Ahhh - the good old days

-when you could sell a stack(400) of marble for 100gc, buy a gem noble for 150gc
    -buying 10k water meant setting up 25 individual trades
    -there were never mods in g-7 (and trade was a refuge from g1)
    -granite was half the price of gc
    -you could not move buildings
    -we only had generals taking 200 troops

Totally agree - it was all much better before...
    Yes, I was still young and goodlooking then

World
    Newfoundland
    What you are asking to to change the nature of the game, settlers game based on an evolving economy.

Oh and its not inflation its deflation, as the value of gc has decreased.
    BAAAHHHHHJJJAAA
    Noun (bah, yah)
    Extreme articulation of both negative and positive exuberance

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragavon View Post
    The number of coins produced on a server will always increase, as players increase their production. Thus prices on resources will increase. This is natural, and can in no way be stopped, unless you introduce a way to take coins out of the game. Just accept it.
    Congratz, you got my point... we need a coin sink that lv50 players will actually use!

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Funny that people say this is just a whine / complaint / whatever post when it's blatantly obvious that there is one area of the game which is pretty much in a dead end (coins) and in need of further expansion.

I guess none of the people who complain that the suggestion to expand the game is allegedly a complaint share my idea that coins are a dead-end resource which gets produced faster than consumed at a continuously accelerating pace.

So I guess you guys are saying "we don't need to make coins useful in the end game".
    Ok, then, have it your way.

I would rather have them be meaningful beyond selling to other players.

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by BAAAHHHHHJJJAAA View Post
    What you are asking to to change the nature of the game, settlers game based on an evolving economy.
    No, I am asking to make coins useful in the long term.

Oh and its not inflation its deflation, as the value of gc has decreased.
    So you're saying when you need to spend $10 instead of $1 on a gallon of gas, it's called "deflation"?

If you need to spend 12000 coins to buy a Watermill which used to cost 6000 coins, that means twice the coins get the same amount of product.

You may want to look up the word "deflation" in a dictionary before you troll more.

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle
    Indeed, coins should be made more useful. Perhaps barter should be banned from the trade office and all trade should be done with coin.
    Barter should be limited to direct trade in the trade channel.
    That shouldn't be hard to code and would fix it immediately.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    It's rather simple economics:

The game allows creation of gold coins (currency). This is bad as now there is no real control over the amount of currency that can be generated.
    There is no limit to the amount of currency that can be generated. Over time, this results in an increased accumulation of currency.

In order to decrease the quantity of currency in circulation, currency must be taken out. However, the quantity of currency withdrawn from the system did not rise in conjunction with the increased rate of currency into the system. In other words, people were able to put more currency into the system, then was been taken out.

In order to rectify the problem, there must be a way for currency to be taken out (increased sink holes, or some other mechanism to remove that excess currency).

Note, this is different from inflation. There is nothing wrong with inflation, per se. If everyone's wealth goes up by 10%, then the costs should also go up by 10% to keep things balanced. It only becomes a problem when costs do NOT go up, or people are introduced to the system with the 'old' level of wealth. For example:

2 Years ago, 500 gold coin to upgrade to level 4 was a lot.
    Now, 500 gold coin to upgrade to level 4 is not nearly as bad.

If the cost to upgrade to level 4 had raised in conjunction with the relative wealth of the people, then it would remain as 'painful' as before and therefore retain its balance. This is one of the major economic flaws in the game. In fact, this can be generalized:

The System Costs, in gold coins, of certain activities (upgrades, explorers, etc.) has not properly risen to reflect the change in value of the underlying assets and economic conditions.

The fix: Introduce new, needed, mechanisms that require gold coin costs. For example, level 5 to level 6 upgrade could cost 20,000 gc.

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Hi, totaly agree with Sharpielein. This is a problem which is gonna escalate further more and the actions should be taken imidiately... For the sake of endgamers but most of all for new players...

I got bored here few minutes ago so i lit up The Settlers Hok map and i had a great fun upgrading my city (farms, residences and yes, college), made the army, killed some oponents, made more army and killed all bandits i could find great fun, took me the whole 1,5h... So... we have games like that and BB seems to not realise The settlers online is loosing its slow peace as a game you could enjoy for more than few days. The main problem imho is BB doesnt know whats going on in the current servers economy ( for example, have a quick look at the test server and we will be able to buy choco rabbits for eggs (!!) during easter... this was probably disputed at some BB devs meeting, ohh [removed] , none of them is playing in real server??) and TSO is an economy game, not "click all callectibles farmville" or start it up and get there fast in few hours and forget about ever playing it coz its just too easy with gems and uninteresting without them.

thanks for reading

Hi conasatatu,

Please don't use profanity on the forum

Thank you,
    Fexno
    Last edited by Fexno; 03.03.14 at 20:47. Reason: removed profanity

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Way to go Sharpielein. I believe you have nicely illustrated what is happening in the game. I also share your perspective since the last Christmas event, and I too believe a good fix for the issue is to introduce a nice “coin sink” to the game as you have “coined” the phase. I hope BB would consider the idea.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by TotoMok View Post
    It's rather simple economics:

The fix: Introduce new, needed, mechanisms that require gold coin costs. For example, level 5 to level 6 upgrade could cost 20,000 gc.
    This could work, but the benefit of level would have to be small or maybe only for certain buildings that low impact on the economy (watermills for instance) certainly not coinages.

Reply to Thread