Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop the coin inflation!

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle

Post Stop the coin inflation!

Intro:

Ever since the Christmas event, tons of additional Gold Coins are entering the game daily.
    The consequence is that many items have risen severely, namely: Magic Beans and Granite as well as pretty much any tradable building from the Architect have risen over 100% - and the redemption value for 1 gem has risen from 7 coins to 20 coins within a mere 2 months (given the sales price of [improved] silos / jollies etc.)

Many Veteran players are no longer in need of coins for island upgrades, as coins are bountiful and 2-3 Fairytale adventures will fill your coffers so bountifully that coins become a non-issue. These players produce coins every day but will not remove any significant amount of coins from the game, so they actually cause inflation.

That said, a new player who wishes to make some progress in the game used to be able to spend €20 to upgrade maybe 20 buildings to lv4. With the current inflation, a mere €10 spendings will suffice to upgrade pretty much the entire island to level 4!
    Short notice: New players willing to spend real money need to spend significantly less money to make significantly more progress and will - consequentially - get bored of the game very, very quickly.

It gets worsened by the fact that new players have neither a Gold Tower nor a lv5 Gold Smelter at their disposal, so they will realize that they start lagging severely behind the rest of the community when putting the same amount of time into the game as someone who's been around since last year.
    Thus, new players become degraded to "second class".

This is as bad for Bluebyte as it is for the community as a whole.

Suggestion:
    Before the inflation of coins goes through the roof, introduce a highly desirable coin sink which will make sure that there is a constant gold sink which the community will actually use.

Here are some options I could think of:
    - Re-introduce the "Mysterious Architect Box" as a permanent feature (maybe replace Christmas tree with a Low Wall or so) and sell them at 5000 coins a piece.
    - Gem pit buffs: Double production on the gem pit for 1 day - cost: 2000 coins.
    - Medikits for 500 coins in the Black Market.
    - General "instant travel": 1 general, 100 coins - general arrives with no delay.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    The gold tower should NEVER have been given away as an essentially free gift.

It was probably done just to show people how good it was in the hope they would use gems to get more. Pretty transparent marketing ploy, and one that's a good one which DOES work when used correctly. But it's use for this item illustrates an unfathomable degree of ignorance of the in-game economy by BB.

The worst consequence, as you say, is that new players have missed out on a massive bonus.

And unfortunately, your idea of a gold sink completely fails to address that problem... It just puts those without gold even futher behind.

Town Councillor
    World
    Newfoundland
    There is no fix, what is done is done.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    The gold tower should NEVER have been given away as an essentially free gift.

It was probably done just to show people how good it was in the hope they would use gems to get more. Pretty transparent marketing ploy, and one that's a good one which DOES work when used correctly. But it's use for this item illustrates an unfathomable degree of ignorance of the in-game economy by BB.

The worst consequence, as you say, is that new players have missed out on a massive bonus.

And unfortunately, your idea of a gold sink completely fails to address that problem... It just puts those without gold even futher behind.
    Actually, I think the fact a lot of players started to use x3 buffs in goldproduction (as we got a solid supply of such buffs in Employee of the month) really screwed this up..
    "Lowlevels" started to use it even if it's not sustainable (in the long run, the way they use it) and highlevels built a lot of new coinages.

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by SmurfAsH View Post
    Actually, I think the fact a lot of players started to use x3 buffs in goldproduction (as we got a solid supply of such buffs in Employee of the month) really screwed this up..
    "Lowlevels" started to use it even if it's not sustainable (in the long run, the way they use it) and highlevels built a lot of new coinages.
    The problem is that while Gold Ore is used in the x3 buffs, there are a lot of Coins coming into the game - but no coins leaving.

But as I said, the issue for "Lowlevels" is not as much that there are highlevels earning 30-50k coins per day, but that a single purchase in the shop for €10 gives about as much advantage as 1 year playing the game normally - but then, afterwards, they find themselves running into a brick wall which they can overcome only by spending BIG money on the game, which will cause them frustration and force them to leave the game.

It is nowadays very easy for any player to spend a bit of pocket money to gain as many coins as they need to upgrade their entire island to level 4 - but then, they are stuck for a long long long time, finding themselves making absolutely no significant progress for months on end, because their island was unnaturally grown.

You gotta think like that: One single purchase of an Improved Silo (€10) gives you enough coins to upgrade 80 Beginner and Intermediate buildings from level 3 to level 4.
    Afterwards, if you have the typical lv30 army, it will take you roughly 3-4 weeks(!) to get enough granite to upgrade a single one of these buildings to level 5.
    That said, it feels very odd to start the game, build a significant island and upgrade everything you own, including the Barracks, to level 4 within 1 week - then having to spend 6 months to get your hands on the resources required to upgrade just the Barracks alone from 4 to 5.

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    Since the game is not a "My island is bigger than yours" kind of game, it does not matter that low levels are lagging behind.

What matters is that the easy availability of huge amounts of coins which are now flooding into the game causes a highly unnatural growth on low level player's islands.

I remember that I got about 1 building per week from level 3 to 4 or 4 to 5 in 2013 and that was a smooth, natural growth process.

Look at what I wrote above, new players will simply not get that feeling.
    They will upgrade everything to lv4 fairly quickly, then run into a brick wall.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpielein View Post
    I remember that I got about 1 building per week from level 3 to 4 or 4 to 5 in 2013 and that was a smooth, natural growth process.

Look at what I wrote above, new players will simply not get that feeling.
    They will upgrade everything to lv4 fairly quickly, then run into a brick wall.
    Not if I can help it

this is a perfect opportunity for everyone to help new players get going.

So the perfect solution I have:

Share the wealth, share the fun, share the love.

You will be surprised what it can do.
    I can do magic me.

Love,
    Amy
    Last edited by AmySafeunderdark; 01.03.14 at 08:40.
    Amy Safeunderdark
    A little magic goes a long way.

Amy's Rules of progress (TSO Forum )
    Amy's random quotes & Settlers related Art and images (TSO Forum )
    Amy's TOOLS:
    Forum image uploader New version online supporting more image types, even animated gif!
    Explained here (Forum link) --> PLease leave your comments and/or remarks here

TSO server status (outside link) New Version!

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle
    There was always a brick, or rather granite, wall when upgrading to lvl5 buildings. I'm lvl 50 for quite a while and I am still upgrading some buildings to lvl5, mainly because the upgrade is so expensive, takes so long and gets you only a 25% increase in production.
    There is an inflation, caused by the 3x buffs and the low lvl players don't have access to 3x buffs and lvl5 goldmines, -smelters & coinages, so they are at a disadvantage.
    A coin sink doesn't change that.
    With the 3x buffs it just takes less time to make more coin.

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Sandycove
    The number of coins produced on a server will always increase, as players increase their production. Thus prices on resources will increase. This is natural, and can in no way be stopped, unless you introduce a way to take coins out of the game. Just accept it.

Reply to Thread