Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] Issues you can check and solve yourself

Battle Hardened Contributor Jamdoggy's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove

[HOWTO] Issues you can check and solve yourself

There are often bugs reported which are not game bugs, but a problem with the player's computer, browser or internet connection. There are a few steps you can follow which may cure many problems.
    • Refresh your game window/tab
      A simple refresh can fix many 'bugs', but to make sure, try using Ctrl-F5 to refresh. This forces your browser to bypass it's own cache, thus loading a fresh copy of the game.

• Clear you browser cache - follow the steps below, depending on the browser you use
      NOTE: Close your game window/tab first!
      Chrome/Canary
      • Click the 'three bars' icon at the top-right (below the red cross to close the window)
      • Select 'Settings' from the menu
      • At the bottom of the settings page, click "Show Advanced Settings..."
      • Click on the 'Clear Browsing Data...' button
      • Ensure 'Cached Images and Files' is selected - you may choose other option too if you wish
      • Click on the 'Clear Browsing Data' button - this may take a couple of minutes to complete.
      Internet Explorer
      • Press Ctrl-Shift-Delete to open cache clearing options
      • Ensure that 'Preserve Favourites Website Data' is not ticked
      • Ensure that 'Temporary Internet Files and Website Files' is ticked
      • You may choose other options if you wish
      • Click the 'Delete' button
      Opera
      • Press Ctrl-F12 to open the Setting menu
      • Select the 'Advanced' tab
      • Choose 'History' on the left side
      • Click the 'Empty Now' button
      • Choose 'Storage' on the left side
      • Click the 'Clear All' button
      Firefox/Nightly
      • Click the 'three bars' icon at the top-right (below the red cross to close the window)
      • Select 'Options' from the menu
      • Choose the 'Advanced' icon along the top
      • Select the 'Network' tab
      • Click the 'Clear Now' button

• Flush the 'DNS cache'
      There is a third cache called the DNS cache which, when flushed, can help ensure that all of the files are being downloaded properly from the correct location, and that connections are being resolved over the appropriate channels.

• Free up your computer
      Many players will have other stuff running, which can drain your computer's resources, leading to problems with your game connecting to the server. Here's a few things you can do to help:
      • Shut down non-essential programs - these can drain CPU and memory.
      • When playing, keep your game tab in front.
      • Do you have stuff downloading/uploading? These sap your bandwidth, and can cause connection problems. Stop your download and upload while playing.

• Ensure your browser is up-to-date
    The Settlers Online may not work correctly if your browser isn't the latest version.
    • Check your version, and availability of updates, by typing chrome://chrome in your address barFirefox/Nightly
      Like Chrome, it should auto-update, but you can force a check/update:
      • Open the 'Firefox' menu (3-bars icon, top-right)
      • Click on Help (blue question-mark at the bottom)
      • Choose 'About Firefox...' (or 'About Nightly...')
      • If an update is available, you should see it downloading now. Click 'Restart to Update' when it's done.
      Internet Explorer
      By default, this will also auto-update, but check it hasn't been disabled:
      • Click the 'Cog' icon (top-right)
      • Choose 'About Internet Explorer'
      • Ensure the box 'Install new version automatically' is ticked
      Opera
      • Click the 'Opera' button (top-left)
      • Go to the 'Help' submenu at the bottom
      • Click 'Check for Updates'
    • Reboot your computer
      Often a last resort for many people, and yes, it means sitting for a couple of minutes, waiting, but this is still one of the best known ways to cure some bugs, and won't do any harm...

It's also a good time to go make yourself a coffee - when you get back, reload your browser, and try the game again. Hopefully, by the time you get here, all your problems have mysteriously vanished

• Log out of the game
      When you quit the game, it doesn't actually boot you from the servers. In theory, your account stays loaded on the server for 15 minutes after your disconnect. This is in case you have had a powercut or your dog pulled the router plug out or something - you can just reconnect where you were.

If you fully log-out of the game, and wait for long enough, your account will get unloaded, and when you log back in, it has to load your details from the server's file all over again.

Of course, a fresh login can cure certain bugs, but reports vary on how long you actually need to log out for. 24 hours should be plenty, or following a maintenance, yet a half-hour wait should be enough to check whether a full logout has worked - if not, try it for longer...

• Check your internet connection
      If you frequently have connection problems on various websites, your internet connection could be the problem.

There are several sites where you can check your internet connection speed, the most commonly used is probably this one.

If you use a router, try rebooting it (remove power lead, wait 15 secs, re-insert). It should take less than 2 mins for your router to restart itself.

• Upgrade your computer
      It's surprising how many problems can be cured by a simple and minor computer upgrade. Memory is relatively cheap these days, and if you are not comfortable installing them yourself, most people will know someone who can do it - it only takes a minute or two.

This one worked for me. I was using a Windows 7 computer with 768Mb RAM, which is below the minimum recommended amount. The Settlers Online would cause my PC to slow to a crawl. I upgraded to 4Gb, and now can play the game on three servers at once without it causing any problems.

Of course, if you already have over 2Gb RAM, and at least a 1.5GHz or Dual-core processor (or better), then you shouldn't have any problems anyway, and don't need to upgrade...

Now, if you have done all of the above, and you still have problems, then report your bug on the forum...
    Last edited by BB_Trafffer; 23.07.21 at 10:11.

Battle Hardened Contributor Jamdoggy's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    Can this get made a sticky?

World
    Newfoundland
    Done.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by ... Of course, if you already have over 2Gb RAM, and at least a 1.5GHz or Dual-core processor (or better), then you shouldn't have any problems anyway, and don't need to upgrade...[/t
    [/list]Now, if you have done all of the above, and you still have problems, then report your bug on the forum...
    Nice guide of course [ thanks ] and luckily I am far above your mentioned architecture [ just a small detail ]. But only the latest version of TSO is causing issues above acceptable level. Any other graphical application I do run does not cause any problem at all. Sorry but it stops here. I will take a pause of 1 month and will see in 2015 if the TSO application has improved. If not, it was fun.

Gamla
    Happy ? Sure I am. Enjoyable and relaxed. ==> Visit Guild FB41

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle

can not log in to the game

an hour ago,
    when i was logged in the game, i got an automessage on my screen, a blue pop-up on the screen advising me to clear the cash ...

i did clear everything past history, log in infos whatever everything in chrome.
    done that then i tried to login the game and what i have got all is this below screen

http://prntscr.com/cjt4fg

using this screen, i can not login sadly.
    login icon is not doing a thing.

Community Manager
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by hannybal View Post
    an hour ago,
    when i was logged in the game, i got an automessage on my screen, a blue pop-up on the screen advising me to clear the cash ...

i did clear everything past history, log in infos whatever everything in chrome.
    done that then i tried to login the game and what i have got all is this below screen

http://prntscr.com/cjt4fg

using this screen, i can not login sadly.
    login icon is not doing a thing.
    We're currently experiencing technical difficulties on The Settlers Online Website, and as result the login servers. We're working on a fix, and should have the game back up shortly. Thank you for your patience!

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland
    I had a similar issue with Firefox as it reported that "A page is slowing down your server" so I reloaded the Settlers Tab as that usually works,but the page on reload was a solid white. Luckily a reload fixed the problem,as nothing else I tried seemed to work.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland

If the loading get stuck in this "white screen phase" - then allways retry.

If you'd get past that and into game ("blue screen phase") and get stuck at "Loading Tip Screen" when loading your island - it's sometimes worth just waiting.
    25/11-14 , 23/02-16 .. The end is coming and it will look like this .

World
    Northisle
    Hi,

Can we get sections in this guide for those of us who play via Steam please?

We need at least this info
    https://forum.thesettlersonline.com/...l=1#post331603
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/35464...7886720927322/
    https://steamcommunity.com/app/35464...5286660776861/
    (note: the last 2 are external site but are BB steam FAQs which are *really* hard to find)
    If Steam says the game is already running start task manager (ctrl+shift+esc) and end the nw.exe process
    t00t t00t
    This signature has been censored.

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    I don't know what happened but I seemed to have acquired a second game page, can someone tell me how to delete this please? Thank you

Reply to Thread