Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Randomly generated adventures

Original Serf
    World
    Newfoundland

Randomly generated adventures

I have only been playing for 9 months and are still a noob compared to some of the veterans here. Im lvl 50 but cant say I have tried each and every adventure yet. Still I find adventuring less and less attractive. Seems like all I have to do, is to find a reasonable guide and then just do the adventure. Feels like my skill in following directions is the only skill needed. So, I thought....

how about adding an option to do an unknown adventure, generated randomly upon my request? Never seen before by anyone else. No guides available. I should probably have the option to set a difficult level and perhaps a size like small, medium or large. Perhaps the map is chosen among a number of possible maps, but the location and strenght of camps and leaders could be random. Nothing else is known before I start and I would have to work out all solutions, blocks etc myself. Im not suggesting to remove the existing adventures, but to add a new feature.

Battle Hardened Contributor Jamdoggy's Avatar
    World
    Sandycove
    I like this idea, but would generate a lot of work for the developers. Currently, each adventure is (probably, I assume) manually created by a level designer, who carefully places the camps in certain locations to determine which can be skipped, and which will intercept.

Having a program that 'creates' adventures could make those poor level designers redundant!

Each map is made up of 'tiles', so a generated island shape is probably possible, but then you have to work out where trees go to force a linear path round the island, and ensure that camps along the route weren't half in the water, for example. It would require some pretty sophisticated programming skills to make this work, and an awful lot of development time, which may be better spent on bug-fixes and smaller upgrades.

So, although I'd love this to be added, and would use it if it was added, I don't think I can give the idea a thumbs-up. Sorry...

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    A more reasonbel way of doing it is to make the camps army random, that will be a start. And to take it even further random placement of the camps.

But on the long term i´m with you about making the maps a lot more random, but I have to agree with jamdoggy, fixing the current bugs and making the already promissed upgrades to the game must have a first priority. And if any of those promissed upgrades has been thrown into the thrash they could at least admit it.
    "How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we march against an enemy"
    Nietzsche

Committed Clicker
    World
    Northisle
    I really like the idea of random-ish camp placement and random-ish bandit troops within each camp. I think entire randomly generated maps might be pushing things a little too far though.

You should also note that a majority of players hardly seem able to follow a guide, let alone cope with designing their own blocks and best attack garrisons.
    Plus, randomizing the bandit troops would put additional stress on the simulators... more people would have to start using DSO and FastSim rather than just plugging an enemy camp into SettlersOnlineSim and seeing what other people tried before.

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    I really like this idea

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle
    Random armies in the camps and a few randomly generates traps here and there. Would make it a lot more interesting.

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripi View Post
    You should also note that a majority of players hardly seem able to follow a guide
    Wonder where you got that from? I've been playing for almost 2 years, and I've NEVER encountered anyone with such problems, neither in-game nor in the forums. Please don't try to make the average player appear more stupid than they are.

Btw, I can't support this suggestion. It would take away focus from other projects, and it wouldn't be used much, I suspect. Random placements of camps means extremely unpredicable situations where you may only fight leaders if lucky, or have to fight every single camp if unlucky. And your army would have to be very large to prepare for all kinds of setups within each camp. And last, you would either risk losing huge amounts of units or constantly fiddle a lot with combat simulators to find out which units to send to each eand every camp you'd attack.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Rafnir View Post
    Btw, I can't support this suggestion. It would take away focus from other projects, and it wouldn't be used much, I suspect. Random placements of camps means extremely unpredicable situations where you may only fight leaders if lucky, or have to fight every single camp if unlucky. And your army would have to be very large to prepare for all kinds of setups within each camp. And last, you would either risk losing huge amounts of units or constantly fiddle a lot with combat simulators to find out which units to send to each eand every camp you'd attack.
    I would rather fiddle with combat simulator than just mindlessly do the same adv. over and over again after a guide. Doing that will at least bring a bit of challange into the game. But then in my mind when i say random camps, I don´t mean total randomness, but within specific parameters, so that you don´t get very hard camps mixed with easy camps. More in like of you have 2-3 specifik units in a camp but it varies how many of each type there is.
    "How good bad music and bad reasons sound when we march against an enemy"
    Nietzsche

World
    Newfoundland
    While I would much prefer a complete overhaul of the combat system, randomization would be a lot easier to implement, and would perhaps put a bit of challenge back into the game Good idea
    EVO is recruiting.
    Players of all levels and experiences welcome. We like to teach.
    Take a look at our recruitment thread, or send me a PM if you're interested.
    Join the evolution today!

World
    Newfoundland
    Agreed. I'm not even level 50 but adventuring is getting a tad boring. It'd be enough if the numbers of fixed troop types in the camps were randomized between a minimum and maximum value, and the enemy camps were placed randomly within a 3-8 square radius of their original placement. Yes, people would still find ways to make guides for them, and one could get lucky or unlucky, but it'd only be within an expected range.

Reply to Thread