Reply to Thread

Thread: Can a hacker/user personnaly identify users in the chat room?

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland

Can a hacker/user personnaly identify users in the chat room?

Someone said in the chatroom "guys it will take me less than 30 min to know all yor real names home adaresses etc."

Is this an empty threat?

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    There is no yes or no answer to this one. If they know what they are doing the answer is maybe. If you feel this is a threat then you should screenshot chat then report the player.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Would suggest that's grounds for an immediate and permanent ban.

http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...t-and-forum%29

Netiquette

Any form of cyber bullying/harassment/verbal or written violence is strictly against the rules and should be reported to Support immediately with evidence.

Admin and Moderators reserve the right to a apply a permanent ban if such a situation occurs.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    Communication is via a chat server. So its unlikely they can find out your IP/etc. However if they compromise BB's servers or Forums, then it is possible. Chances are they are just loud-mouthing.

However, if you are silly enough to post RL information in the forums then they could track you down that way obviously :P

World
    Newfoundland
    Asked my Hubby about this, he knows things like that

It's a bluff, it is impossible to do that.
    If they know Ip Addresses and that is if they do, they still would not know your exact location
    as we are able to connect from anywhere in the world anyone can use different Ip Addresses:
    I can connect from my work or from a friends house, nobody can identify me by my work IP address, or my friends address.
    Unless (good point TotoMok ) I have posted personal information in a forum.
    But then I would be identified by Nick name, not by my connection (IP address) or by the address I registered with. (which implies hacking)
    but then again; I could have registered 2 years ago and have moved to another city or even another country for that matter.

It is however possible to identify an Ip address location; ie city/state/country if that information is available.
    On my website I have a world map where you can see from where people are connecting, use only for statics of course, but that is possible.
    it goes a s far as city, but it is possible for some to get an exact location.
    but there are no names postal address linked to an IP address unless in some special cases, it is not possible to get the information exact, so that is something you don not need to worry about.
    You could be connecting with a mobile device, or wireless access for somewhere, and some providers switch IP addresses on regular bases.

To reassure you of this fact I tell you a complete truth:

I know every telephone number used in the world.
    I know every Ip address used in the world.
    I know every postal address in the world.

the only problem I have, I can not link any of those to point to one single person or home address,
    unless I know him/her personal and they have given this information to me personally.
    but then I still don't know what IP they use.

of course this is nonsense, but I bet it made you think.
    What amount of information you need to identify a person from a chat.
    I'll bet even the spy service would have a hard time doing that (and they can do a lot)

but I know one thing, and that is no bluff, I know YOU are reading this

HAHA, got you

Love,
    Amy
    Amy Safeunderdark
    A little magic goes a long way.

Amy's Rules of progress (TSO Forum )
    Amy's random quotes & Settlers related Art and images (TSO Forum )
    Amy's TOOLS:
    Forum image uploader New version online supporting more image types, even animated gif!
    Explained here (Forum link) --> PLease leave your comments and/or remarks here

TSO server status (outside link) New Version!

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    only your ISP knows where you live or who you are... good luck hacking all the companies in the world getting that info and then again linking them to TSO players. It is not impossible but hardly doable...

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    From straight in game chat, no. From voice communications such as TS, ventrillo yes they can find your IP address. This in itself isn't much, the real danger to your real identity and location is yourself. To many people in a very short space of time will give away a lot of information about themselves to someone they hardly know. You should make sure you are vigilant with how much information you share, not sharing real names etc unless you are sure the recipient is a friend. This sort of information should be confined to whispers, never in global channels and guild chats.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottlecap View Post
    Someone said in the chatroom "guys it will take me less than 30 min to know all yor real names home adaresses etc."

Is this an empty threat?
    Impossible!
    If at first you don't succeed, sky-diving is not for you.

World
    Newfoundland
    First of all, we take this type of situations very seriously so if you feel threatened in any way by another player, please send a ticket to support, together with any details you can provide.

Second of all, our system does not allow something like that to happen as we always ensure and prioritize our customers' safety.

In conclusion: yes, empty threat.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    It is possible, but the likely hood of someone that good being a child and threatening people in public, is extremely unlikely. I am talking spies, cloak and dagger stuff with the big boys where millions/billions are involved. One of these guys playing TSO, I would be surprised, one of these guys making public threats...that would never happen...lol. There is a reason why these people never get caught.

It's like the leader of a nation stopping at your work and making threats that he is gonna find out who you are etc etc...seriously would this ever happen, even if this person had such abilities....its laughable..I am going for empty threat/child playing game.

It's always easy to forget that you may just be arguing or being threatened by a little kid...LOL. This happened to me about a decade or so ago. I was ready to fight this guy, it turned out he was a 10 year old kid. A highly intelligent one, but a kid none the less. All the hot air in me instantly evaporated and started to laugh from embarrassment. Yea its a kid for sure, I mean who would make such a threat...haha. Got to be a kid, or a person with a childs mind

Reply to Thread