Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: how to spot a scam trade ?

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland

how to spot a scam trade ?

while playing the other night i miss clicked on a trade yes i know and accept its my own fault.
    what i wanna get an opinion on is wether the other player was trying a scam trade hoping for some one to miss click trade was 75000 coal (1500gc tops) for 500 beans (7500 gc). this trade was in among the list of other coal trades so easy to miss click it if your not carefull.

can trade like this be reported ? if so will anything be done to the perpetrator ?
    Last edited by ATHTHEMANIAC; 26.06.14 at 10:20.

Battle Hardened Contributor
    World
    Northisle
    Sorry but that would not be a scam... you clicked on a trade and that's it... Nobody's fault but your own be it a fair trade or not. Now you could contact the other player and ask for a swap (given ur mistake) but don't call it a scam cause it isn't.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    if you read my 1st line i already accept its my fault for clicking.....
    could u give me an example of a scam then so i can see what you mean ?

and yes i contacted the other player.....who told me in no uncertain terms he wont return the beans ( his looking at 6k profit),thats life and i accept some players will pull,what i call "a trick" on others although some people would dis agree with my stance.
    Last edited by ATHTHEMANIAC; 26.06.14 at 10:44.

World
    Northisle
    There is no scam in TO... scams can only happen when it is about lootspots and/or gifted items (for something in return) or multiple item swaps, basically any trade that cannot be done directly in TO

Anyone can place any trade in TO, no rules about what i offer or what i buy )

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    That trade could be nothing more than a player typing in the wrong number of "0"'s.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    dortheus i think not he knows exactly what his trading cause after i spoke to him through the mail system he basically laughed and put up the same trade again.....

thx you for the explaination/definition stefancetare....then i should use unscrupulous trade then put up by an unscrupulous player ?....as no one in thier right mind would trade 1500gc of good for 7500gc of goods ?.....so the players only hope of completing that trade is by some one accidentally misclicking or a real new player who dont know anything about the value of goods ?
    Last edited by ATHTHEMANIAC; 26.06.14 at 11:25.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    It's not a scam. A scam would be pretending to sell one thing and giving another.

These sort of things happen often, and they would be more accurately described as traps or tricks. Prices made such that to the casual observer or quick clicker, it appears on the level, but if you look closely you see that it's obviously unfair. Often they are priced so they appear between other suitable trades, or have an extra digit that is hard(er) to see.

Unfortunately you really need be careful how you click.

World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by ATHTHEMANIAC View Post
    dortheus i think not he knows exactly what his trading cause after i spoke to him through the mail system he basically laughed and put up the same trade again.....

thx you for the explaination/definition stefancetare....then i should use unscrupulous trade then put up by an unscrupulous player ?....as no one in thier right mind would trade 1500gc of good for 7500gc of goods ?.....so the players only hope of completing that trade is by some one accidentally misclicking or a real new player who dont know anything about the value of goods ?
    Don't quote me on what i said... never said it is a fair trade or "right". I only said that it is not a scam. Just look at trades for footballs and collectibles... some people are just plain greedy and unfair in their trades but still not scamming...

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    yes totomok i original used the wrong word maybe cause i was so annoyed with myself for miss clicking and the attitude of the other player when i mailed him in game.
    this was a unscrupulous trick/trap trade this can be clearly seen by all people who know anything about prices of goods on settlers.
    he just sits and hopes some one miss clicks and falls for his trick,which at after midnight and being tired i did.
    as he has the same trade up on newfoundland trade office i hope people who read this can see how he is trying to pull this stunt and maybe warn people in there guilds about him and put him on ignore.

Committed Clicker
    World
    Sandycove
    It because of all the awful trade offers on the TO that the whole system needs to be looked at. Many players use gold coins to value items, as its easier to work out if the trade is fair and most are not. If BB could implement a coin value for each trade (which i suggested a long time ago) then there would be fewer trades that are unbalanced and people that have no idea of the values being exploited by the super rich traders.

Reply to Thread