Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Stop misleading descriptions

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by DaddyBob View Post
    So lets have some fare play and sort out this problem. A reply as to why we are having this issue would be nice.
    +1

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmian View Post
    Blue Byte has been owned by Ubisoft since 2001. Ubisoft are a French multinational company. To offer a language barrier German > English as a genuine excuse for misleading (paying) customers... well, where's Gerontius when you need him? Don't try to defend the indefensible. You're the one left looking foolish.
    Are my ears burning?

I'd say it's one of many "undocumented features" of the game and that's what the forums are here for - filling in the gaps that BB leave. Never buy anything without checking the forums!

I'm not saying the description is good or fair, I'm saying that (a) things like this will never be fixed and (b) every player should remember caveat emptor on anything bought from the shop.

Are you a casual or part-time player? Don't want a chatty guild or expect lots of support?
    And do you want the chance to earn a few guild coins but don't want to be forced to do guild quests on a daily basis?

Then join GQS (Guild Quests (STILL!) Suck) on Northisle!
    Mail Gerontius here or in game for an invite.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by SmurfAsH View Post
    Jimmian, don't forget the "Soccer time!" in the event shop..
    +1 My bad - couldn't get past the championship to pick up the others

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpielein View Post
    The problem is that they cannot truly say "Has a chance of containing ..." because all of a sudden, they'd have to apply for a gambling license and would have to shut down the game for <18 years, because it would be a game of chance you'd be betting real money (gems) on!

In fact, those boxes are a slippery slope because they are very, very close to what gambling laws prohibit... "Chance to lose everything or gain something worth over €10 when sold and exchanged for other gembought resources"
    Well, I don't know enough about gambling laws to confirm or deny but the whole thing could then easily be solved by changing the text to "contains one rare building or decoration"

Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    Are my ears burning?
    Only so far as I was quoting your wise words from another thread
    Last edited by Jimmian; 14.07.14 at 23:25.

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Newfoundland
    I got burned very early on in this game. I took the descriptions literally and found they were either wrong, or purposely misleading. That was on my first day in TSO. Since then I mistrust any description, and when something sounds too good to be true, I assume it is. I also don't pay for gems anymore due to some of the shenanigans they pull in trying to dupe us out of real money.

While I do appreciate the hard work that has gone into the game, I have now become jaded and cynical towards any "propaganda" statements distributed by them. I've heard the whole language barrier argument, and if you have played more than one game of non English original, you should notice they almost always have a fluent English person to translate the text that actually plays the game. Some smart games actually hire an existing player and give him cool benefits just to perform that singular task.

I used to defend BB early on, but after a year of reading these forums, it has become abundantly clear that they really don't care what their customers think at all.I could probably count on 1 hand where an actual BB employee has responded to a post with absolute certainly about something suggested.

While i agree wholeheartedly with the Original Posters request and arguments, I seriously doubt BB will take note, care or even look at this post. I am not sure if it was different over a year ago, but from my experience BB do not care to listen to their customers, or partake in this forum. I have given up making suggestions since i have hardly seen any come to fruition. Perhaps maybe a handful, and I now assume those were just coincidences.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by ddakka View Post
    I mistrust any description, and when something sounds too good to be true, I assume it is. I also don't pay for gems anymore due to some of the shenanigans they pull in trying to dupe us out of real money.
    This is why I have never paid a penny for TSO, and have no plans to.

you should notice they almost always have a fluent English person to translate the text that actually plays the game. Some smart games actually hire an existing player and give him cool benefits just to perform that singular task.
    That would be too much like common sense, however, every CM I've seen on this game, including the current Ravel, has had a strong enough command of English to converse with players on these boards and in-game. If BB were stuck for fluent English speakers in the dev team, surely they could have looked further afield within their employees or, as you say, to the players. Amazes me how they can come up with 'damascene weaponsmith' and 'Artesian well' but they can't say 'may contain' or 'or decoration'.

it has become abundantly clear that they really don't care what their customers think at all.I could probably count on 1 hand where an actual BB employee has responded to a post with absolute certainly about something suggested.

...I seriously doubt BB will take note, care or even look at this post. I am not sure if it was different over a year ago, but from my experience BB do not care to listen to their customers, or partake in this forum.
    In fairness, Ravel does seem to be making a lot of effort in this area, I think the problems are beyond the CM though. So many people have suggested that the devs actively communicate with the player base but they don't even seem to communicate with Ravel, as a lot of the posts are "as far as I know" or "I believe" or "this may be subject to change" or "no date has been set yet" etc. Ravel is in an impossible position as far as I can see - trying to put a positive (or at least less ridiculous) spin on anything coming from BB side, while trying to keep the (often irate, and reasonably so) players happy.

I have given up making suggestions since i have hardly seen any come to fruition. Perhaps maybe a handful, and I now assume those were just coincidences.
    Well, I haven't reached that point - I still suggest things (or, more often, build on the suggestions of others that I think have merit) but I have given up almost all hope that any suggestion will ever be listened to on this forum, in the spirit it was intended. I've seen things appear that were suggested on the forum, but the implementation was so unnecessarily complex or the costs so prohibitive, it wasn't actually anything like it was intended to be, nor was it useful.

Reply to Thread