Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stop misleading descriptions

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland

Stop misleading descriptions

Dear Devs,

I know that the ultimate goal is to make money while doing something you love, but I feel that this can get a bit out of hand. Recently, in your Football World Cup event you have added a "Master Architect" box which "contains one rare, random building for your island." This is misleading because it contains decorations as well.

I can understand if you decide that a decoration is a building (because it does need to be built) but they're not considered rare by your players. Especially when they are a majority - I came across 5 chopping blocks. Rare? Not really. It would be if I also got 5 arctic mines, or improved warehouses but that's not the case. It would seem that you know what a rare random building would be because you suggest 4 of them in the description.

So this isn't really a complaint. That's why it's in the suggestion forum. Because while you won't have meant to mislead, that's not really how the law looks at it - so at least you know for the future that it should at least read "May contain one rare, random building for your island" because "contains" is a guarantee.

Kind Regards,
    Treno

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    The keyword is random. This means you may get what you don't want. Also that you find one item desirable does not imply others will. You mentioned Arctic mines, what is not clear from what you say is if you understand exactly what they are and how they should be used. Everyone I know considers them to be a booby prize because you got to keep obtaining iron refills to keep them running, not to mention the fact that you have to keep a eye on them to make sure that they don't expire.

In this game rare does not mean there is not a lot of them, it's means you probably have to put in a lot of work to obtain it but if lucky you may get it sooner. There i s one decoration which is in short supply because not many have done the work to get it yet it's not in this particular box.

The box's which are available do change with each event and what's in them is different. If you want to know what's in each box and the odds of getting it I suggest to check the test forums but you should not assume a particular building can be found in the current box. As far as I'm aware that Imp Store you want is not in the MA box
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Town Councillor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Treno - I made exactly the same complaint to support the last time these boxes come up. They mislead by not writing the box also contains decorations this is by design to fool as many people into buying them there is no doubt about that.

Regardless of who trys to defend BB it does not change the fact they are trying to deceive people. If I dig out the messages from support they finally said to me they could of put more thought in to it as I quote "it can appear misleading"

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    The keyword is random. This means you may get what you don't want. Also that you find one item desirable does not imply others will.
    Kind Regards for your reply mate, but there is definition and there is law.

I am not complaining that I got decorations, rather that the wording used is misleading - this is illegal. I mentioned Arctic Mines because these are buildings that help towards your resources (Gaining / Storing / Producing) and is more of value than a Chopping Block which doesn't help towards your resources.

Stating that
    ...rare does not mean there is not a lot of them
    when by Collins Dictionary the definition of rare is either
    not occuring very often
    or
    not found in large numbers and so of interest or value
    and finally
    unusually good or remarkable
    which is what is upholdable in a court of law.

I'm not asking much - it's just a suggestion that in the future the wording says "May contain" instead of "Contains" and honestly, to write so many words when the change would be four characters (If someone official from BB replies), is not a good look. It's a waste of resources (time and money) and all for something that's just a legal right.

It's about being honest and not bait advertising / being misleading in an advertorial. A lot of devs feel that they're immune to the law because they're online - but they're not. Look at MegaUpload for example. boy is that happening!

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    If the developers were English then maybe there might be a case to answer for. However they are a German company and the problems arise due to the game being translated in to English. I'm not aware of any law which makes it punishable to badly translate.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    In that sense, Dorotheus, you would be right. Except for I'm now telling them that it is misleading. So if they chose to remain ignorant of this post, ignorance is punishable. It is discriminatory to think that developers are limited to one language, however.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Northisle
    I'm fairly sure even the Germans can say both "contains one rare, random building" and "may contain one rare, random building".

Blue Byte has been owned by Ubisoft since 2001. Ubisoft are a French multinational company. To offer a language barrier German > English as a genuine excuse for misleading (paying) customers... well, where's Gerontius when you need him? Don't try to defend the indefensible. You're the one left looking foolish.

I 100% agree with Treno and PChamps here.

Oh, and while we're discussing misleading/incorrect nomenclature... what's with calling this farce of an event the "World Championship"??? Even the dogs on the street in the favelas in Brazil know it's called the "World Cup". Coupe du Monde, Copa mundial... etc. Where's 'championship' come into it???? Another example of sloppy workmanship imo!

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Jimmian, don't forget the "Soccer time!" in the event shop..
    25/11-14 , 23/02-16 .. The end is coming and it will look like this .

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    The problem is that they cannot truly say "Has a chance of containing ..." because all of a sudden, they'd have to apply for a gambling license and would have to shut down the game for <18 years, because it would be a game of chance you'd be betting real money (gems) on!

In fact, those boxes are a slippery slope because they are very, very close to what gambling laws prohibit... "Chance to lose everything or gain something worth over €10 when sold and exchanged for other gembought resources"

Pathfinder
    World
    Newfoundland
    I could not agree more with all this miss leading info on the "Master Architect" box which contains one rare, random building for your island. A statue or chopping block is not a building and they should refund everybody who as had these items when they have opened the box. Some people have used gems for footballs which to buy these boxes and to have useless items is a joke.

So lets have some fare play and sort out this problem. A reply as to why we are having this issue would be nice.

Reply to Thread