Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Hospitable Bone Church no longer dropping from The Whirlwind adventure

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    A guildmate had one (his first) HBC dropping now, so atleast that extra slot ain't fully turned off..
    25/11-14 , 23/02-16 .. The end is coming and it will look like this .

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by SmurfAsH View Post
    A guildmate had one (his first) HBC dropping now, so atleast that extra slot ain't fully turned off..
    I checked out the link to the changes you posted in your opening post and it contains an error.

Quote Originally Posted by BB_Ravel
    This will lead to two possibilities:
    - If you are very lucky (i.e. you get a Hospitable Bone Church), all 7 slots will be displayed in the message.
    - If you didn't get a Hospitable Bone Church this time, only 6 slots will be displayed in the message.
    (...)
    This information should help avoid further confusion.
    The image underneath then shows 5 slots with the 6th being the special drop, that's a bit confusing and as there's an error like that in the news item I'd take the official information related to it with a pinch of salt.

It's not an adventure I've ever done before and with a quick search I was able to find a couple of loot tables that had it listed but not one where it said the chance was specificially 4% to get that loot, very small search though. I took the 4% figure from this thread, maybe it's not actually 4%..? If whoever came up with that number was using a loot tracker like Kit_ it'd be very easy to grab a small sample of data and come up with 4%, as was shown by the 3/64*100=4.6875, even if it were something like 1% or less in reality.

Either it's not a 4% drop, my little loot drop sim script is bugged, is inappropriate or you're far more unlucky than it said any group could be after ten million adventures. In any case you've sort of got the answer you wanted now one has dropped, good luck on dropping your own.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    To all:
    It's funny how people are able to know things are working as intended even though they obviously have not even done a check by them selves.
    The only thing needed here is ONE person that can confirm there's been a drop since the changes.
    As some already has started to trolling here.. I bet not.
    I'm not trolling you and I'm not insisting that things are working as intended. All I am saying is that your experience is based on anecdata and not actual proof of anything.

Let me tell you a story. Some years ago, I was in charge of support for a fairly large MMORPG. In this game there was a crafting system and when making items, it was possible for a player to make a 'masterpiece' item that could hold more bonuses than a normal item. There was a flat 2% chance of this happening per crafting attempt and these masterpieces were very much in demand so crafters would sit for hours, crafting and crafting until they got the desired masterpiece. One of the most common support requests we would get was from crafters insisting that the random quality code must be broken as they had made hundreds of items and hadn't got their masterpiece yet. Often they would back this up with logs showing their unsuccessful crafting attempts as proof that something was broken. Every time we got one of these reports we would check it out and every time we would find that everything was fine. Because probability isn't always intuitive and it's common to make wrong assumptions about how randomness works.

Your 100+ losing streak is certainly unlucky but, in a sufficiently large population it's almost guaranteed that someone, somewhere is having a long losing streak.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by IainC
    I'm not trolling you and I'm not insisting that things are working as intended. All I am saying is that your experience is based on anecdata and not actual proof of anything.
    I've recently posted a guildmate had a HBC dropping from one of my started WWs. That's a fact. I can easily check the loot result from all of my WW's as I've been playing them just with guildmates.

[removed]

Hello SmurfAsh,

Let's keep an interesting thread interesting, and skip the accusations.

Regards,
    Fexno
    Last edited by Fexno; 30.07.14 at 20:05.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    4.. (0.96^4=0.849..) => about 85% There won't be any HBC dropping.
    The answer to my question has to be about 40 not 4 as you suggest.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    The answer to my question has to be about 40 not 4 as you suggest.
    While I was able to follow most of the math in this thread, your 40 has me puzzled.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Fexno View Post
    While I was able to follow most of the math in this thread, your 40 has me puzzled.
    I asked how many times is the random number generator invoked while doing whirlwind. Obviously it must be at least 1 for every camp attacked plus 1 for the loot. A total of about 40.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    I asked how many times is the random number generator invoked while doing whirlwind. Obviously it must be at least 1 for every camp attacked plus 1 for the loot. A total of about 40.
    Let's keep the discussion on the chance a whirlwind drops a bonechurch and what should and shouldn't be possible.

I especially like the example results Splotch gave here, but don't forget that the 4% is only a guess (or an estimate). I wouldn't be surprised if the actual drop chance is only about 2%

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus
    Let's keep the discussion on the chance a whirlwind drops a bonechurch and what should and shouldn't be possible.
    I modded the script again just to underline what Fexno has said and I agree with, we are looking at what is and isn't possible in the loot drop and factors like number of camps and random rolls make absolutely no difference unless the process isn't random. With a random number the number of rerolls doesn't change the overall results because the basic principles remain the same... It's random.

This is the original result from the previous page where each player had a single loot roll chance :

Quote Originally Posted by One Roll Per Player
    Adventures Run : 10000000
    1+ Drops : 1505116 (15.05116%)
    No Drops : 8494884
    Total Spot Drops : 1598648 / 40000000 (3.99662%)
    Loot Spots : 400042 (4.00042%) | 399240 (3.9924%) | 399798 (3.99798%) | 399568 (3.99568%)
    Longest Losing Run : 356 | 301 | 380 | 324
    Average Losing Run : 24.0 | 24.05 | 24.01 | 24.03
    Longest Group Losing Run : 83
    Average Group Losing Run : 5.64400617627
    Now here's what happens when I've tweaked it to roll X number of times for the loot where X is 40, to be clear that's not 40 chances to get the loot but 40 rolls of the die and we take the last roll. :

Quote Originally Posted by Forty Rolls Per Player
    Adventures Run : 10000000
    1+ Drops : 1504962 (15.04962%)
    No Drops : 8495038
    Total Spot Drops : 1598352 / 40000000 (3.99588%)
    Loot Spots : 398783 (3.98783%) | 400816 (4.00816%) | 398802 (3.98802%) | 399951 (3.99951%)
    Longest Losing Run : 319 | 332 | 288 | 331
    Average Losing Run : 24.08 | 23.95 | 24.08 | 24.0
    Longest Group Losing Run : 90
    Average Group Losing Run : 5.64468604523
    The numbers are different but the overall picture remains the same. The only significant difference here that can't be attributed to randomness is that it took ages to run the simulation because it's doing billions of iterations instead of tens of millions... It's the only difference you should expect.

I especially like the example results Splotch gave here, but don't forget that the 4% is only a guess (or an estimate). I wouldn't be surprised if the actual drop chance is only about 2%
    Thanks Fexno! I'm with you on this. I'd say that the 4% drop rate may have been decided on based on a small sample of data when the adventure was first released and over time it's becoming apparent that the 4% is wrong. I wouldn't be surprised if it were 2% or lower myself either. Unless someone has looked at the code and seen the actual drop rate the only thing that these loot tables provide is a best guess.
    Last edited by Splotch; 31.07.14 at 09:32.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    I just had my second HBC..

Reply to Thread