Reply to Thread

Thread: Equipping your troops

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove

Equipping your troops

While BB is deeply focused in changes most of us don't care too much, I was thinking that adding another layer of complexity - or perhaps quite a few - in the game would be welcomed to make it more interesting, specifically for those who are lvl 50, a.k.a. imminent retirees or bean munchers.

Allow us to make armor for our troops. Not only that, but also shields for the footsoldiers. This could add another 8 buildings right off the bat, or allow us to change, say, the bronze armorsmith into a building that could produce bronze swords or shields, taking up two settlers, much like the epic woodworker's, same reasoning applies for iron, steel and damascene varieties. Do not add such armors or shields to the loot table of any adventure, so that players would actually have an incentive to build them, especially the damascene one. Put restrictions. A recruit can't handle a damascene shield for example, but could handle an iron shield, with a penalty do damage caused: more survivability but less damage. If the shield and armor are of the same quality as the sword the unit uses, don't give out any penalties. If adding a + armor stat would throw your combat mechanics out of whack, have them add a bit more health to the unit only. If that is the case, don't be miserly. A X% boost to hp if using a damascene shield and armor with decreasing steps of, say, 10% for each variety below the scale can be a good way to go about it.

Have said items impact on generals' speed. If going light, with only swords, he could go twice as fast as one loaded with elites who are also sporting shiny damascene shields.

The cost of said items can't be cheap of course, as they will make adventures easier to do, with fewer troops. That would, incidentally, be quite the positive side effect of such items: less ferrying time is more time that can be spent doing adventures themselves, instead of taking an hour or more to gather round all your army to do one Heroic Little Tailor for example. People will still go for the quartermaster, but they won't be so deeply annoyed while they haven't one.

Have us produce ammo for our ranged units. Titanium tipped arrows / bolts to pierce the toughest enemies. What about making magnum-grade powder, allowing cannons to do more damage, but with a penalty to their hp if used that way? Horse-shoes for addtional damage, depending on quality of the metal used?

Just a a few cents to turn the game more interesting at later stages. Ok, perhaps a lot of cents =).

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    I think it would be a ridiculous level of micromanagement if I would have to equip shields and armour to each of my troopson a configurable basis which would force me to decide on a per-unit basis which item to equip to which of my over 12000 combat units. (I kill about 3000-5000 troops PER DAY, and it's already a sufficient hassle to click-build them 25 at a time: "No thanks" to an additional 1000 clicks/day)

On the other hand, I would love Shields to be added to the game as an item and shield-bearing troops (high defence, low offence capability) to be creatable in the Barracks.
    But that is a completely different suggestion.

World
    Sandycove
    At least the guy has submitted an option/opinion

BB please at least look at the suggestions being put forward and acknowledge them?

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    I think he meant all recruits in a trained batch get shields, not a selection for each single one. Personally I don't see the need to add this since such functionality has been in game since before I started playing 2 years ago.
    Last edited by Dorotheus; 05.08.14 at 23:33.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpielein View Post
    I think it would be a ridiculous level of micromanagement if I would have to equip shields and armour to each of my troopson a configurable basis which would force me to decide on a per-unit basis which item to equip to which of my over 12000 combat units. (I kill about 3000-5000 troops PER DAY, and it's already a sufficient hassle to click-build them 25 at a time: "No thanks" to an additional 1000 clicks/day)
    In my mind there wouldn't be the need to assign a shield to every single unit, just a checkbox to determine if the batch of troops you're about to produce gets a shield/special ammo/horseshoe or not and so forth. Of course, I'm also thinking that without an option to build any amount of troops you might desire with as much as two clicks of the mouse these suggestions wouldn't be workable at all.

I recognize how far-fetched some of the suggestions I've put forth are, but I do think that quite a few would welcome this added complexity which would insure a somewhat bigger longevity to the game than what it has in its current state.

Reply to Thread