Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Lucky Explorer Buffs

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by urgabel View Post
    Agree.

I would not limit it at all, and if some limit should be present it could be 1 use per general, instead of 1 use for the whole adventure.
    I already mentioned rare drops as a possible solution, there are many solutions. It needs to be limited otherwise players would finish DB with nothing more than a handful of recs a few medipacks and a MMA. That in my opinion is broken gameplay.

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brayarg View Post
    I already mentioned rare drops as a possible solution, there are many solutions. It needs to be limited otherwise players would finish DB with nothing more than a handful of recs a few medipacks and a MMA. That in my opinion is broken gameplay.
    If Lucky Explorers had a 10% chance to return a Medpack on a Very Long Search, that would mean that players would get an average of 1 Medpack per week - to do "DB with nothing more than a handful of recs, and a MMA" would still require the medpacks obtained by maybe 5 players over the course of 1 month.
    And that's not like saying you couldn't obtain the cavalries required to complete DB "the regular way" with losses a little bit faster ...

If medpacks would cost 1000 a piece, then doing "DB with MMA and a handful of recs" would cost somewhere in the vicinity of 15000 coins - I'd say "Let them", because I can buy 5-8 DB lootspots for that same price ...

Consider:
    What is the reason why Flying Settlers are not worth much? Because they are too common - or because it's not possible to use them in any form or fashion to make more than like 300 coins profit? Why would someone pay 500 coins to earn 300 coins? Not really many sensible people.
    However, if you could use an MMA to save you 2 hours of your real time, the calculation looks different: If you value your time at 1000 coins an hour, then the upper limit is higher than RFS.
    Next thing: RFS is limited by the amount of buildings you have plus the fact that you can only use 1 per day per building. So most players can't even USE more than 1-2 of them per day!

If Medpacks were not limited, then people *could* use 10 or more of them within 1 hour, driving up consumption (without increasing supply) - and you know what happens with prices when demand is high but supply is limited.

I wouldn't be concerned about game balance. I would think that price alone will make "medpack hunts" a rarity, because loot value will not go up and the amount of medpack adventuring would be far and inbetween on a large scale of things.

It was somthing completely different with the Weak Point Potion: 3 WPP would take out an entire *sector* full of tough camps, sometimes saving 1000+ troops.
    Not so with Medpack+MMA: You still need to clear your way to the boss --- and no matter how many times you send the MMA with 1r, the Dark Magician won't die

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    +1 for med

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Sharpielein View Post
    If Lucky Explorers had a 10% chance to return a Medpack on a Very Long Search, that would mean that players would get an average of 1 Medpack per week - to do "DB with nothing more than a handful of recs, and a MMA" would still require the medpacks obtained by maybe 5 players over the course of 1 month.
    And that's not like saying you couldn't obtain the cavalries required to complete DB "the regular way" with losses a little bit faster ...

If medpacks would cost 1000 a piece, then doing "DB with MMA and a handful of recs" would cost somewhere in the vicinity of 15000 coins - I'd say "Let them", because I can buy 5-8 DB lootspots for that same price ...

Consider:
    What is the reason why Flying Settlers are not worth much? Because they are too common - or because it's not possible to use them in any form or fashion to make more than like 300 coins profit? Why would someone pay 500 coins to earn 300 coins? Not really many sensible people.
    However, if you could use an MMA to save you 2 hours of your real time, the calculation looks different: If you value your time at 1000 coins an hour, then the upper limit is higher than RFS.
    Next thing: RFS is limited by the amount of buildings you have plus the fact that you can only use 1 per day per building. So most players can't even USE more than 1-2 of them per day!

If Medpacks were not limited, then people *could* use 10 or more of them within 1 hour, driving up consumption (without increasing supply) - and you know what happens with prices when demand is high but supply is limited.

I wouldn't be concerned about game balance. I would think that price alone will make "medpack hunts" a rarity, because loot value will not go up and the amount of medpack adventuring would be far and inbetween on a large scale of things.

It was somthing completely different with the Weak Point Potion: 3 WPP would take out an entire *sector* full of tough camps, sometimes saving 1000+ troops.
    Not so with Medpack+MMA: You still need to clear your way to the boss --- and no matter how many times you send the MMA with 1r, the Dark Magician won't die
    I do believe I have already stated "very very rare drops" (more than once now) before you entered this thread as a potential solution, along with other potential possibilities (please check the first page). Surly by making this suggestion it should be quite apparent that this would be a form of limitation by itself and I am aware of this? Why else would I be making it.

My entire point is, If no limitations are put in place at all, Then this would have a detrimental effect on the balancing. We seem to be agreeing that drop rates are one form of control and I'm not sure why we are even having this discussion as you seem to be trying to resell my own suggestion back to me???? quite odd really. Unless you think that I don't class drop rates as a limitation.

RFS & DB specifics are irrelevant here, The example could have been any buff that luckys return in abundance ((whips and carrots/Harvest ritual)) to name but two, and there are now many very common triples and a few common quadruples. DB could have quite easily been DP RB or anything for that matter. As for MMA + 1 rec for bosses this shouldn't even need mentioning, goes without saying of course.

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brayarg View Post
    I do believe I have already stated "very very rare drops" (more than once now) before you entered this thread as a potential solution, along with other potential possibilities (please check the first page). Surly by making this suggestion it should be quite apparent that this would be a form of limitation by itself and I am aware of this? Why else would I be making it.
    "Very very rare" is something subjective, as there are things in this game with probability of <1%, and frankly - in statistics, something like 10% is more or less common.
    In a game where maybe 1000 active players on one server send out 2 explorers daily, 10% is still a big supply (e.g. 1400 per week).
    Hence I was arguing from the different side, i.e. that even "fairly common" availability will not have serious effects on the game.
    As long as there isn't like a 100% chance, supply and demand will settle the score.

My entire point is, If no limitations are put in place at all, Then this would have a detrimental effect on the balancing
    While my point was that in the big scheme of things, the balance effect of medpacks becomes fairly irrelevant, because "balance" would be created by players and market demand. In the end, a medpack doesn't save you more than 50 coins.

RFS & DB specifics are irrelevant here
    No, they are not - at least not to the extent I was mentioning.
    If the amount of consumption for an object is limited (RFS), then as soon as supply exceeds consumption demand drops to 0 and the item becomes worthless.
    If consumption is potentially infinite (MED), then value is first and foremost a subjective function of perceived utility.
    Since we both agree that perceived utility is also quite high, the final price tag would become the one limiting factor to practical utility.

"Balance" will become achieved through the fact that some players have such a high time-value for their real time that excessive use of Medpacks will be unfeasible for all but the most wealthy players, even if they are fairly common.

World
    Newfoundland
    "Very very rare" is something subjective, as there are things in this game with probability of <1%, and frankly - in statistics, something like 10% is more or less common.
    In a game where maybe 1000 active players on one server send out 2 explorers daily, 10% is still a big supply (e.g. 1400 per week).
    Hence I was arguing from the different side, i.e. that even "fairly common" availability will not have serious effects on the game.
    As long as there isn't like a 100% chance, supply and demand will settle the score.

While my point was that in the big scheme of things, the balance effect of medpacks becomes fairly irrelevant, because "balance" would be created by players and market demand. In the end, a medpack doesn't save you more than 50 coins.

No, they are not - at least not to the extent I was mentioning.
    If the amount of consumption for an object is limited (RFS), then as soon as supply exceeds consumption demand drops to 0 and the item becomes worthless.
    If consumption is potentially infinite (MED), then value is first and foremost a subjective function of perceived utility.
    Since we both agree that perceived utility is also quite high, the final price tag would become the one limiting factor to practical utility.

"Balance" will become achieved through the fact that some players have such a high time-value for their real time that excessive use of Medpacks will be unfeasible for all but the most wealthy players, even if they are fairly common.
    A 10% chance wouldn't have a serious effect no, but who are you arguing with? show me where I said 10% was a game changing percentage?? You cant because no such thing happened. What I said was if no limitations where in place (Basically they drop like pins in a bowling all) then it would effect balancing. There has to be some form of control regardless if that control derives from: drop chance, mma exclusion, once per adventure, a timer or anything else I may have missed.... The bottom line is "control".

DB and flying settlers may have been relevant to you, But neither play any part in what I'm discussing and where just used as random examples.

Supply and demand will control it to a certain point, unless the market is saturated with the buff, At that point the market crashes, Now if BB did decide to implement this, Would 1% be acceptable in my opinion? or 5% or 10% 15%? I believe they are all fine, Im really not to fussed, as long as BB don't do anything silly like 75%+ but they are still setting limitations by keeping the drop rate low.
    Last edited by Brayarg; 10.08.14 at 22:18.

Town Councillor
    World
    Northisle
    Since BB intends to make Medpacks available from Collectibles, we will see how that works out anyways.
    Maybe collections will already be so available that potentially getting medpacks from explorers become irrelevant.

World
    Northisle
    Since BB intends to make Medpacks available from Collectibles, we will see how that works out anyways.
    Where did you read this?

I hope that you didn't break the NDA on the New Battle System.
    Last edited by Durin_d; 12.08.14 at 15:50.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    I have been looking for any information on this as well, but can't find anything

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    Yes come on Sharpielein please tell us all where this information has come from?

Reply to Thread