Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Star menu limits

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove

Angry Star menu limits

Star menu was not intended to be for storage of infinite amounts of resources, I therefore suggest that a limit of 200,000 be placed on how much of one item can be stored in star. This is more than enough to cover island storage overflow from loot drops.

The storage of excessive amounts of resources as certain players gain more and more over time must surely be responsible for the slowly increasing amount of lag the game has developed over time. It's high time this practice was stopped.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Nifty
    World
    Newfoundland
    Each item is one row in db, so if they stack items, problem is no more here. And I don't think that few resources make some difference compared to adv/buffs.

Committed Clicker
    World
    Sandycove
    It is also possible to use mail as infinite storage so that would need to be adjusted also. I'm in agreement with Dorotheus with this suggested change.

World
    Newfoundland
    I think the issue is not the resources, it's the buffs.
    If BB did what i have been asking/begging them to do for the last 2 years and allowed us you consolidate certain buffs in to blocks of 25 (like Irmas) i think there would be less lag, rather than having 100's of each single but taking up lots of blocks of data you would have the grouping of 25, or whatever you wished.
    This would also allow for better navigation around ones star menu.
    BAAAHHHHHJJJAAA
    Noun (bah, yah)
    Extreme articulation of both negative and positive exuberance

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Northisle
    I would agree with the opening post, it seems a bit silly people asking for large trades just so they can be sent to the star menu instead, some people must have millions of coal/water stored beyond the capacity of their islands storage.

For buffs, why limit it to 25? They should do the same as they did in Anno Online, stack buffs to 999 and have a merge all button.
    Last edited by Kotugo; 09.09.14 at 07:57.

World
    Newfoundland
    Star menu was intended to be infinite so high lvl players can stay in game after reaching lvl50. There are people out there with millions of resources including coins in star menu and having limit would mean instant endgame for them. I say make coins a non resource item without limit and problem solved, same as gems. Also stacking option for star menu would be nice.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    I've seen other games say that the practice of storing items outside the official storage is an exploit. And I happen to agree, and agree it's something that needs fixing.

It's quite sad that the only reason some people are still playing is to gather more and more gold. People talk about the economy being unbalanced all the time, but never seem to lay the blame at the long term heavy players with millions of resources at their command. Anyone remember the water-balloon event? Would have been more balanced between servers if not for star menu storage.

The buff problem is a problem, especially with the new explorers buffs are spamming the star menu. Forget a "merge" button, they should just stack automatically.
    Last edited by Gerontius; 09.09.14 at 10:55.

Are you a casual or part-time player? Don't want a chatty guild or expect lots of support?
    And do you want the chance to earn a few guild coins but don't want to be forced to do guild quests on a daily basis?

Then join GQS (Guild Quests (STILL!) Suck) on Northisle!
    Mail Gerontius here or in game for an invite.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    If this sort of idea had been implemented from day 1 I could agree but your talking about basically the market getting flooded with stuff and the economy collapsing in some markets. What compromise do you offer such as storehouses having infinite upgrades, every level after 5 cost the same as 5 maybe. Some people stockpile stuff for events in advance, others to help feed their entire guild, myself I stockpile resources I don't make and on the day they are cheap.

If your concerned about server lag there are many things that could be done (they have been in Anno) before something like this were to take place. The merge idea has been suggested before and would most likely cure 99% of the lag we get. The buff problem might be helped if they could be listed on the TO in decent amounts. I agree coins shouldn't even be a storage issue just let people have what they have in an infinite wallet.

But if this were ever to take place please give 6-12 months notice because all you would be doing is alienating another section of the playerbase who played by the rules and shouldn't be penalised for it.

For reference I have 1.1M storage so I'd cope anyway.

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    I tend to agree with the opening post which is surprising as I am a huge abuser of what I have always considered to be a bug in the game.

When I first started playing you couldn't put resources to star menu. It was there for troops, buffs, loot rewards etc. I remember the day I sold a number of nobles to another player only to not receive all the coins we traded as I was close to my max storage and the extra just disappeared. That experience made me learn a lesson which was to manage my resources more effectively.

I say I consider the current activity to be a bug this is because I dont remember ever seeing a dev diary or similar announcement that BB intended to change the behaviour and it seemed to just happen one day (like many of BB changes).

That being said I also agree with Markos in that if this 'functionality' is removed it will be the end of the game for many players who have lots of resources that they have built up or traded for and which they will see disappear at the click of a button from BB.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by fishslice View Post
    I tend to agree with the opening post which is surprising as I am a huge abuser of what I have always considered to be a bug in the game.

When I first started playing you couldn't put resources to star menu. It was there for troops, buffs, loot rewards etc. I remember the day I sold a number of nobles to another player only to not receive all the coins we traded as I was close to my max storage and the extra just disappeared. That experience made me learn a lesson which was to manage my resources more effectively.

I say I consider the current activity to be a bug this is because I dont remember ever seeing a dev diary or similar announcement that BB intended to change the behaviour and it seemed to just happen one day (like many of BB changes).

That being said I also agree with Markos in that if this 'functionality' is removed it will be the end of the game for many players who have lots of resources that they have built up or traded for and which they will see disappear at the click of a button from BB.
    ^^ Second all of this. While I also don't recall seeing anything Official posted Officially about extreme Star storage I have seen many a Mod and a BB or two explain how it works so that's... not really Official and still leaves a good bit of leeway. Either way.

Vanishing excess used to cause all sorts of upheaval, it wasn't explicitly stated anywhere (that I recall) and often people discovered it quite by accident after making a purchase. Not a pleasant surprise.

With so many people thinking Star Storage has always been a feature I was going to try to pull the date it changed but that Change Log (if I recall correctly) was just before the cutoff for hiding older threads.

All that said, considering one of the fixes in the current [Change Log] 16/09/2014 is:

Quote Originally Posted by ChangeLog
    BUG FIXES

• If the resources in a loot mail were redeemed and they exceeded the storage limit, the remnants were lost
    and the recent addition of the "Storehouse or Star Menu" button on... 06/05/14? (it was omitted from the log which was never updated) makes it seem a little unlikely, at least to me, the feature/sanctioned bug/tolerated exploit is going anywhere anytime soon. Stranger things have happened but it looks like a pretty solidly tangled bit of code. For now. To me.

Edit:

Quote Originally Posted by Peajay View Post
    It is also possible to use mail as infinite storage so that would need to be adjusted also. I'm in agreement with Dorotheus with this suggested change.
    BB used to sweep expired/declined trades out of mail and into the cyber-ethers, randomly and without warning. At some point they stopped doing that, or - haven't done it for a very very very long time. It wasn't terribly popular when it was happening.

Let this one quote stand for many:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    The buff problem is a problem, especially with the new explorers buffs are spamming the star menu. Forget a "merge" button, they should just stack automatically.
    If the translations are right stacking in the Star in general was actually addressed at gamescom. In short, and again gist gleaned via Google Trans: "It's tricky, it's being worked on."
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 11.09.14 at 02:16. Reason: clarity - few minutes for further old timey trivia and one more link

Reply to Thread