Reply to Thread

Thread: Make your own Halloween spiderweb!

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle

Make your own Halloween spiderweb!

Behold, the rabbit "Ghost of Easter past" surveys the curve-stitched spiderweb of halloween! What's that? Looks like the spider has caught a few gems in his web!

I've been working on this for a week or so following some recent research into the mathematics of curve stitching (yes, really!)

My girlfriend made the dress-up bunny some years ago and I thought it made for a great photo!

I can't tell you how to make the bunny, but I can show you how to make the spider web.

Click through and print off the template image below on an A4 piece of card, then follow the instructions on it!

The template is the BACK of the design, and you start your stitching from the back through to the front then go dot to dot until you reach the end of the pattern. Use whatever colours you want, although I've made some suggestions on the template (eg, contrasting red and green for the corners, although I decided to go all green in my design). I suggest using thicker thread than I did for a better overall effect. For the spider, make sure not to tighten the thread too much so he stands up from the page.

Some maths behind the image:
    1. The web is an archimedean spiral in which the radius is proportional to the angle turned.

2. The corner pieces are parabolae and are particularly efficient things to curve stitch as you will see that hardly any thread is wasted on the back

3. The gems are incomplete heptagonal (7-sided) mystic roses. A mystic rose connects every point on a polygon to every other point, but I just omitted two of the points.

4. The spider is based on an octagon.

Here are a few more pictures or you can see the full gallery on imgur

Last edited by Gerontius; 22.10.14 at 21:53.

Are you a casual or part-time player? Don't want a chatty guild or expect lots of support?
    And do you want the chance to earn a few guild coins but don't want to be forced to do guild quests on a daily basis?

Then join GQS (Guild Quests (STILL!) Suck) on Northisle!
    Mail Gerontius here or in game for an invite.

Reply to Thread