Reply to Thread
Page 23 of 29 FirstFirst ... 13 21 22 23 24 25 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Colonies and PvP - Dev Diary

Quartermaster
    World
    Northisle

Unhappy Another fine mess . . .

I understand you don't want the experienced players tearing into some newbie island, so the colonies are a wise decision. But is should have been PvP in the colonies then. It isn't, the implementation is flawed.
    And you wanted to fix the "nobody makes their own weapons" situation. You could have used the colonies to do this.

How it should have been:
    • You use the regular troops to conquer the colonies, but they need to get a marine (or conquistador) training.
    • Recruits and bowmen can't be used to conquer colonies.
    • Do "a Cyprus" on the players with huge stockpiles of weapons in their star menu. Rust will turn these weapons into iron ore.

It really is a shame since a lot of developer time was wasted on such a flawed idea. Who is responsible for this mess? Who signs off on these stupid ideas? The game has been going in the wrong direction for years now and it is about time to start pointing fingers!

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Yorgos View Post
    First look
    i dont like:
    1. two battle system makes the game to complicate!
    2. two unit types? one fore the adventures and other for the colonies! why?
    Because BB wanted to enforce their "rebalanced" combat system into the game despite of all that loud objection from the community. I hate this implementation mostly because now we are supposed to have two armies within the same pitiful population limit, which is by far the most expensive and difficult thing to raise in this game. I wish BB made witch towers, dark castles and frozen manors upgradeable. Like 30-50 settlers per level.

Quote Originally Posted by VVidi View Post
    PvP is optional, but I have a nasty suspicion that the rewards for playing PvP will be a significant advantage for those that do. In a lot of peoples' minds this would mean it is not optional, as the game itself is about optimising production.
    What is your point? Also playing adventures is fully optional. Those who play more should get more rewards. Simple as that. However as the PvP seems to be just a resource sink at the moment, there are no worries of anyone getting rich.
    Last edited by Herr_Pannenkoek; 26.11.14 at 13:06.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Herr_Pannenkoek View Post
    worth it in resources..
    ..and adventure time. and did i mention that there seems to be no bonus when having colonies with premium activated?
    since there is two separate combat systems there is no reason not to have the possibility to play adventure and colony at the same time. no need to change the max adventure limit either, just let the colony take the currently invite only spot. that way those that are curious or bored or whatever can at least try it out..
    Was fighting windmills from Aug 2012 to Oct 2019.

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    I never got to try out Colonies on test, so am testing it now on the live server

Feedback no. 1

Why are there tabs in the combat academy?

It's confusing lots of people on help who overlook them and can't find the heavy troops. There's also no need to use separate tabs since there's so few troops types and so much room in the interface window. Overdesign of the interface has resulted in a bad final product.

Evidence that it's a problem copied from help (I'll post them as I see them, but there were at least 4 I saw earlier):
    [22:56] [MVA] TeutaBgd: where do i train heavy infantry? tnx
    [23:42] [WoN] freier: does any1 know where can i train some heavy infantery?
    [15:29] [Dinos] Iohs: can anyone tell me how to make Heavy infantry please?
    [16:49] [PhR] danny12: how do i make heavy cavalavlry
    [22:18] [PhR] danny12: yea i have 1 of them but can only make 3 different troops
    [17:43] [Medi] KingGas: how do you recruit heavy infantry?
    [17:50] Dicksome: what? how do i recruit heavy infantry? i`m only level 39, is that why it doesnt work?

Feedback no. 2

The Marshall Interface is awful.

A button asking you to select units, taking you to another screen where you click on some unit types, then returning you back to the previous screen where you finally select the number of those units you actually want to put on your marshall?

Who dreamed that up?

Feedback no. 3

Marble to make medi-kits? What?

Are we hitting marshals across the face with a brick to try to wake them up? Seriously, this just smacks of trying to make the Colonies system into a resource sink that absorbs as many different resources as possible.

Opinion so far: regretting investing resources into the buildings and weapons. Let's see what the returns on investment are...

Feedback No. 4

First attack done. Wasn't real-time as lag was so bad I had no idea what was going on until the fight finished. Not sure what the 2nd fight will be like where I have to switch troops during combat... Also, why no combat report?

Basically, I have no idea what just happened and got no entertainment value from it at all. Which should be the main point of a game...

Feedback No. 5

Weird thing happening in the main Colonies interface from the home island. I click the globe button and can see my training expedition. If I click "show details" a screen comes up saying that there's nobody playing the (one-player!) expedition and I'm giving the option of inviting one of my friends along. Haven't dared do it as I don't know what "exploiting" this bug would do. Looks like there's a programming error here somewhere.

Feedback No. 6

Tutorial quests aren't very well written. I need cavalry for my 2nd attack, yet the tutorial system only told me to make archers and infantry. A tutorial shouldn't leave you having to go back and make more troops like that.

Opinion has not improved much since first impressions...

Feedback No. 7

So, I made new weapons and then new troops so I could take some cavalry back for the first boss camp. Lag wasn't so bad, so I could see what was going on and was able to swap troops round. It was a little bit of fun, but not much. Certainly not enough that I prefer "realtime" over "fire and forget". And it's all a little imprecise. I'm not convinced it's responsive enough and I don't know if I lost cavalry unecessarily when the enemy swapped from bows to melee.

Opinion has improved slightly, but now see it as a missed opportunity. This concept of "real-time combat" is not enough fun to justify the attention it requires. You've got to sit around and wait for your general to walk to the enemy camp, then watch the fight unfold. I like the simple strategy options that make it , but it should have been based around strategically setting up of troops in advance, then sending them off to fight their battle, and you can come back later and see how they've done. Real-time? Meh...

In summary: get rid of real time combat and make it so you set up your troops in advance then "fire and forget".

If I were to guess, I'd say real-time combat is a leftover from a time when this was going to be real pvp and you thought players would be able to swap new stacks of troops in and out on the fly in combat against one another. Then that idea got abandoned for being unworkable, but the real-time idea stayed for no good reason. Close guess?

Feedback No. 8

Either blocking is rubbish or the tutorial is badly done.

I blocked the second boss camp, as the quests suggested. In doing so, I lost 20 troops from the blocking marshall. I might have been able to lose fewer if I'd been quicker off the mark and the lag had been less, but I don't think I did too badly for a first attempt.

I just looked at the simulator and see that I could have attacked the camp and killed it with losses of only 7 troops (or maybe 12 if I've remembered the troop numbers in the enemy camp wrong).

So, either the blocking balance is way off or the way the tutorial is set up is rubbish. If you want to promote this idea of blocking, then the losses on doing a block should be significant less than attacking each camp in turn. Even similar amounts of losses would be understandable. But recommending doing a block that looses you around twice the number of troops is beyond ridiculous.

UPDATE EDIT: Just realised I may have been unfair here - blocking troops are cheaper to build than attack troops. So, I lost 20 Heavy Archers doing the block, but saved 7 (or 12) attack archers
    HA cost = 3 xbow + 10 brew = 30 hardwood + 30 iron + 10 brew
    AA cost = 6 bow + 10 brew = 60 hardwood + 60 iron + 10 brew

So, losses from block = 600 hardwod + 600 iron + 200 brew + 20 settlers
    Losses from attacking = 420 hardwod + 420 iron + 70 brew + 7 settlers (or 720 hardwod + 720 iron + 120 brew + 12 settlers)

So, it the losses from the block vs attacking were about the same, depending on how good my memory of the expedition was.

I still think a tutorial should be set up to show a significant benefit for a recommended tactic over brute force, but at least it wasn't the complete failure I originally imagined.

In summary: not thought through enough. Return to balancing drawing board and start again

Feedback No. 9

Finished expedition (nothing new to report on the above experiences). Received loot mail with subject "[undefined text]". I thought this game was out of beta? Not impressed at all

Feedback No. 10
    Loot = 3 star coins. THREE?! THREE?! You are having a laugh!

Either give a reward or don't give a reward. Don't insult players with something so ridiculous.

Feedback No. 11
    Opened colonies interface, and there were options to build defences and claim colony - presumable from the expedition I had just completed.

Clicking "build defences" brought up an error message saying it had expired. Clicking "claim colony" brought up a spinning timer.

Clearly something has gone wrong. Don't know what. Don't really care at this stage. It's obviously an unfinished product that needs seriously reworking while on the live server or removal back to the test server. Presumably a lot of these problems have already been reported on the forums there. Time to not just (reportedly!) listen to feedback but actually act on it?

In summary: Apart from not being all that much fun, the system is bugged and unfinished. Final score: 1/10.

Feedback No. 12

Marshall's just returned home: [undefined text][undefined text]

And two of them couldn't find a landing spot

Still not impressed.

Feedback No. 13
    Just working out how many resources I spent on this...
    Troops lost
    = 27 attack cavalry (AC), 20 heavy infantry (HI), and about 125 attack archers (AA)

(NB, currently the other 30 HI I made aren't showing up in my supply. Hopefully this is a display issue rather than a real bug and they've gone AWOL - UPDATE - the 30 HI have appeared again on my island. Seems it's a bug while they're in troop transport)

Resources to make troops
    1 AC = 5 horse, 6 sabre (question: Why does one soldier need 6 swords? Always bugged me the way this game does that and though it might have been fixed with this new combat system. No such luck...)
    1 AA = 10 brew, 6 bow
    1 HI = 10 brew, 3 mace

Resources to make weapons
    1 sabre = 12 iron, 10 coal
    1 bow = 10 hardwood, 10 iron
    1 mace = 1 steel, 4 coal

Total resources spent
    60 steel (150 if my other 30 HI have gone AWOL)
    1860 coal
    7500 hardwood
    9444 iron

The wood and coal are nothing to me. But an investment of 10K iron for almost zero return? Is this seriously considered a balanced tutorial experience?

UPDATE: I am currently building 150 of each attacking troop and 100 of each blocking troop. When this is done I will run a full test of a real expedition and post a new comment reporting my experience.
    Last edited by Gerontius; 02.12.14 at 17:54.

Are you a casual or part-time player? Don't want a chatty guild or expect lots of support?
    And do you want the chance to earn a few guild coins but don't want to be forced to do guild quests on a daily basis?

Then join GQS (Guild Quests (STILL!) Suck) on Northisle!
    Mail Gerontius here or in game for an invite.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    Feedback No. 6

Tutorial quests aren't very well written.
    The only actual Task in the first quest "Help and Important Information" is to "Open the Archive from your Archive panel." The 'story' bit, which is often overlooked, points to the PvP section and mentions Maintenance, but the quest completes the instant you click "Archive" no matter where in the Archive you happen to land.

Considering how many people turned out not to know the tutorial video has been there this whole time:

you have to wonder how many will have caught this:

It's good it's there, and clearly an attempt to draw attention was made, but again - Considering how many people think the tutorial video is brand new, the attempt may not have been successful.

There is still the quickly shifting, have to get lucky to see it, Tip of the Day but as this is so different from everything else we're all familiar with here's hoping it's included in the standard Maintenance notes as well.
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 27.11.14 at 00:00.

Skilled Student
    World
    Newfoundland
    Iolanthe, thanks for highlighting this

World
    Northisle
    first of all I like the new adventure interface BUT:
    - icons are too large and come into the way when clicking the camps resulting in missed attacks (please decrease icons sensitive zone, not the bitmaps)
    - the new windows to send gens to adv is nice BUT it is too small and 3 rows of gens do not fit in so the 3rd line is almost useless because I can't see if troops are allocated to the gens on the 3d row (please make the window a bit large in heigth or decrease it to 2 rows)

I think the expeditions are a total failure:
    - see Gerontius feedback above
    - I need no stupid tutorial video but a clear and detailed explanation I can read when and how I want to understand the new "feature"

Change in adv store:
    - why did you remove the 2 adventures we will be asked to do for guild quests (Island of the Pirates, Dark Priests) ? Did you want to make more people spend more gems to be able to do their guild quest (you already had the 'Do Nords' guild quests for that) ?

Overall feeling:
    - Once again, elusive dev diaries and blatant lack of information BEFORE the actual implementation of the feature builds up disappointment

Better luck next time...

Erudite Pioneer
    World
    Northisle
    I conquered my first small colony http://prntscr.com/5ams5m but quest have bug and can't complete it. http://prntscr.com/5ams2b

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by tasgog View Post
    I conquered my first small colony http://prntscr.com/5ams5m but quest have bug and can't complete it. http://prntscr.com/5ams2b
    Have the same, have sent a ticket to support, but no reaction yet.

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    Lol. Presently is more entertaining to read the foruns than to play the game. In fact, funny would be to watch BB headquarters: they must be running around helplessly, not knowing what is going on. Or maybe they just turn off the sound (of us complaining) and are throwing a big party for a job well done.

I am glad I didn't built the pvp buildings. The feedback is terrible, I am sure I won't touch this. All they had to do was, every year or so, some weeks before Christmas, increase the level limit by 10, release new (harder) adventures, new troops, new enemies, new buildings, new resources. It is no big secret, it is called «expansion pack» and keeps a game from dying.

Reply to Thread