Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: [Feedback] Change Log - 25/11/2014

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    There are quite a few concerns in this thread I'll happily second, from the Dev's mysterious "understanding" of certain game mechanics to the everlasting communication difficulties. I saw the conversation in Sandycove's g-1 Jim_B referred to, and it made logging in to the forum to post this an even greater effort. But since I've been puzzling over this a little time now and while very much hoping I've missed something, I cannot figure out what. So:

If this means what it says and includes only the Weaponsmiths, Horses, and Smelters as mentioned in the post:

Quote Originally Posted by LimitedOffers View Post
    For some buildings, the production cycle will be 50% faster during this time.

Resources: Bronze Sword, Iron Sword, Steel Sword, Titanium* Sword, Bow, Longbow, Crossbow, Cannon, Horse, Steel, Iron, Bronze, Titanium, Attack Pike, Attack Bow, Attack Sabre, Heavy Mace, Heavy Crossbow, Heavy Lance

*Damascene
    What happens to quests like this, an early Tutorial quest designed to teach balance, if the Smelter is faster and Copper and Coal are... not.

Image from Fhearghus's Guide For Dummies - The Settlers Online
    which tells quite nicely how to clear this quest and others using the regular building ratios.

Must you build extra bottom-of-the-chain buildings?

There are a lot of these production balancing quests, at many different levels. They often include the entire chain, from the most basic resources like Water and Pinewood through to the final product, many of which will apparently be produced much faster than what the quests were designed for.

Also puzzling is having the free building moves at the same time the production cycles are altered. If you move things around, and look to your Economy Overview or other in-game info for balance... what happens when the new balance you've created vanishes as production times return to normal? And at the very same time the fees for moving buildings return.

Again, I sincerely hope I've missed something, or that the phrasing is entirely misleading, or that all this has already been addressed... somewhere... Otherwise this is yet another "Sounds great in conference" and someone should have looked at it before moving ahead.

Finally, one of the "Tip of the Day"s on the Test server mentions that Expeditions will *not* be extended for Maintenance ("make sure you have time to finish")

It would be very nice to have this confirmed and if it is accurate it really ought to be very well publicised and not left to the quickly shifting Tip screen, else Tuesday 2nd December could be quite interesting indeed.

Edit: Looking at: some of the feedback on the French servers, where this has all just gone live, it looks less and less like those with concerns about base resource production missed something and more and more like these "Limited Offers and Promotions" really just weren't thought through.

It's not even clear yet the "new normal" productions will fit in with the old quest chains. Bringing all this extra in as a Special Bonus when permanent changes to some buildings' production are also being applied seems like a pretty Bad Idea. Here's hoping... I got nuthin'. Here's hoping.
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 18.11.14 at 15:37. Reason: sheer luck, caught the actual Tip o' the Day - Live on .fr

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Iolanthe View Post
    It's not even clear yet the "new normal" productions will fit in with the old quest chains. Bringing all this extra in as a Special Bonus when permanent changes to some buildings' production are also being applied seems like a pretty Bad Idea. Here's hoping... I got nuthin'. Here's hoping.
    This bit I totally agree with. Temporarily changing all production times/rates for some buildings at the same time as permanently changing the production times/rates/resources for a different set of buildings is just mind-bogglingly confusing.

The only reason I can see for doing it is that it will delay real feedback on the supposed "balancing" of expert weapon production. Feedback which is massively important but feedback that BB probably want to have every opportunity to ignore... cynical, moi?

Are you a casual or part-time player? Don't want a chatty guild or expect lots of support?
    And do you want the chance to earn a few guild coins but don't want to be forced to do guild quests on a daily basis?

Then join GQS (Guild Quests (STILL!) Suck) on Northisle!
    Mail Gerontius here or in game for an invite.

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    If this [For some buildings, the production cycle will be 50% faster during this time.] means what it says
    It doesn't. It means "100% faster" or "Twice the speed." or "Production time is halved."

What happens to quests like ["Look Out For Tools" "have at least 0 production/12 hours"] an early Tutorial quest designed to teach balance, if the Smelter is faster and Copper and Coal are... not. .... Must you build extra bottom-of-the-chain buildings?
    Unless you happen to get your placement bang on, you will very probably need to build extra support buildings to clear the quests. Even if you squeak through the quests, they only need to be green for a second, you can still be drastically in the red overall. Teaching about "balance" pretty much goes out the window.

2 Copper Mines, 2 Cokers, 2 Bronze Smelters, 1 Tools, 1 Bronze Swords - all Lv1. This should be fine.

It isn't.

This super speed production is going be a "challenge" for established players, can't imagine what newbies will make of it all. Gotta say, I'm profoundly glad I'm not going to be trying to learn the game while this is on. Likely very frustrating if you've carefully learnt 2 Bronze Smelters + 1 Tools + 1 BSwords = 4 Cokers and a whole huge pile of pine to support them.

If you move things around, and look to your Economy Overview or other in-game info for balance... what happens when the new balance you've created vanishes as production times return to normal? And at the very same time the fees for moving buildings return.
    You probably end up fairly cranky if you find your maths were off and you need to shift your Damascene Sword chain again. As a heads up, the moving costs all show as 0, so if you want to know, you'll need to hunt.

Bringing all this extra in as a Special Bonus when permanent changes to some buildings' production are also being applied seems like a pretty Bad Idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    Temporarily changing all production times/rates for some buildings at the same time as permanently changing the production times/rates/resources for a different set of buildings is just mind-bogglingly confusing.
    ^^ This.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    The only reason I can see for doing it is that it will delay real feedback on the supposed "balancing" of expert weapon production. Feedback which is massively important but feedback that BB probably want to have every opportunity to ignore... cynical, moi?
    Perhaps slightly less cynical, I just can't shake the image of a meeting that included "So, how can we make removing weapons from loot run a little more smoothly?" "Oh! Let's let them make weapons faster! " "Oh wait, they'll need extra ingots for that too!"

Well-intended, and extremely shortsighted. If another goal is to burn through masses of Star-stored *stuff*, it will certainly succeed. But again, really glad I'm not coming in new.

If we do get this, as it is now on the French servers, might be a good idea to pause these things before Maint and wake them after. Carefully.

Bronze Sword, Iron Sword, Steel Sword, Titanium [Damascene] Sword, Bow, Longbow, Crossbow, Cannon, Horse, Steel, Iron, Bronze, Titanium
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 19.11.14 at 21:02. Reason: Tweak

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle
    What's the point in removing the change log and making me click to read it? It was easy to see the latest changes now need to click to check. Complete waste of dev time as is this new rubbish player vs some other player's star coin defences. Seriously if you can't make the game perform to an acceptable level why are you adding a whole new combat system on top of it to lag us out even further? You must be brain dead or something. Really need to fix the performance issues before adding more junk to lag the game even more. Takes like 10 minutes for adventure accepting to come through at times, it should be instant. Buffing needs to be a load quicker. So glad I never spent a penny on this game

I hope at the very least the change to adventure searches will mean we actually get adventures we might want rather than a load of vtv/sotv/SE that I'm never going to do because they're a complete waste of time and resources

Skilled Student
    World
    Northisle
    Will try again to get an answer :S

Movement weeks?

quote:

The "Move Building" feature is free during this time.

Description: All "Move Building" actions, no matter the building and its upgrade level benefit from this.
    Addition: "Move Building" will have a cooldown timer of 30 seconds during the week.
    Time: 2 weeks (25th of November - 9th of December)

Nice its free, but !

Do we get at the same time the new extra home islands , otherwise most high levels don't have the room to move buildings without tearing others down first.
    To make a good new layout on your island you need to make the buildingspaces free first, and not just one at the time, but a whole sector, for that we need those 3 new islands!!

Nifty
    World
    Sandycove
    ^^ unfortunately, from what Ive been reading, seems more proof that the devs dont play this game enough to understand the implications of their ideas

World
    Newfoundland
    During Production Weeks, military driven production cycles will take half the time they normally do.

UPDATE: The cooldown for moving buildings during Moving Weeks has been increased to 60 seconds instead of 30.
    Since many players will use this feature and moving buildings will create load on the servers, the cooldown time was implemented to avoid lag issues.
    Last edited by BB_Ravel; 21.11.14 at 14:08.

World
    Newfoundland
    Would it be possible to move "Production Weeks" to the two weeks after "Moving Weeks"? I.e. they do not happen at the same time? Because there is no point in moving buildings if the production times will be (deliberately) inaccurate at the same time. (I really thought they'd take place at two separate times but now I checked and both are scheduled for 25th of November - 9th of December.)

World
    Sandycove
    UPDATE: The cooldown for moving buildings during Moving Weeks has been increased to 60 seconds instead of 30.
    Hmm, Doesn't that fill you with faith that the locked zone bug is....and will remain fixed. ( the 30 sec cool down was originally implemented as an interim measure whilst they fixed this bug, when it was at its peak...and they HAD to fix it ) On test, they have had an re-occurrence of these locked zones initially with the implementation of new `Colonies' islands.....the latest test version...today is reported to fix this issue.....and this is going live next week?
    Now as my island is perfect so I won't be utilising this facility ( or in truth I've been having such a bad run on getting granite, I don't have any of the expert buildings to move anyway ) I'll be leaving the rest of you to find out, and hope its fixed and not been resurrected. In the words of Dirty Harry...`do you feel lucky? well do ya? Go ahead move that building !
    Are we to be told of adventure changes or not? 1 Month on and still SNEAKY RB changes have not been mentioned

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Newfoundland
    "Locked zone" is not a bug per se, but a symptom of a bug; and a new bug may cause it.
    25/11-14 , 23/02-16 .. The end is coming and it will look like this .

Reply to Thread