Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8

Thread: General lag of all the graphics in the game

Keen Commentor
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by EctoRune View Post
    On the scales that TSO uses bandwidth it is really rather cheap. I could buy an Azure server from Microsoft now and pay less than $0.1 per Gigabyte. That would get cheaper the more bandwidth is used, of course. And that's just what I could buy right now. Most likely BB would be able to negotiate a better deal than I can.
    even so i doubt the issue is bandwidth. the bottleneck is the processing power and DB IOs not bandwidth.

Pathfinder
    World
    Northisle
    Hello, no attention and locked with the mission has 11 fingers can you send?

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Singaboy View Post
    The zooming stages have been changed form 16 to 10, so something has been changed intentionally one would think
    Maybe it has something to do with buff "A thousand snowflakes".
    From xmas shop: "Note: May slow down zooming."
    If they found a separate warning was necessary (first time ive seen something like that) the effect must be quite severe or they are just afraid it will be cause ive tried that buff in the past and noticed no change in performance.
    Was fighting windmills from Aug 2012 to Oct 2019.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Narcil View Post
    even so i doubt the issue is bandwidth. the bottleneck is the processing power and DB IOs not bandwidth.
    Indeed, that is also what I was getting at in my original post. There's no way bandwidth should be a concern. Which is why reducing the graphics quality seems so absurd.
    EVO is recruiting.
    Players of all levels and experiences welcome. We like to teach.
    Take a look at our recruitment thread, or send me a PM if you're interested.
    Join the evolution today!

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by RomoluXI View Post
    Hello, no attention and locked with the mission has 11 fingers can you send?
    Is that google translate? If no attention its because no one understands you. Sorry to say that.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by EctoRune View Post
    BlueByte, please tell me you didn't drop graphics quality in order to improve server performance. Because there are very few explanations I can think of why it would have any effect, and they're all awful.

1. The servers are having bandwith issues
    That's ridiculous. In a world of flexible, cheap easily accessible cloud computing there's no reason why the couple of MBs of bandwith the graphics take per log-in should have any effect at all. BB is owned by Ubisoft who has its own digital distribution platform, so we know they're able to push the data around.

2. The servers handle some part of the graphics calculations
    If this is the case, we might as well just all lay down and give up, because the world is over. But even BlueByte wouldn't violate the Server/Client dynamic that awfully. Especially not for no reason.

3. It's an unintended side-effect of another change
    I really hope it's this one. And I think it almost certainly has to be. It seems especially likely when considering that "unintended side-effect" is basically the unofficial TSO motto
    It seems like most calculations are done server side. Combat and other random calculations seem to be done on the servers and the servers need to ok all changes at all time. I guess it's to prevent cheating.

Anyway, there's nothing heavy that needs to be done really so it shouldn't be that hard to get servers running it. The heavy part is running the graphics because it's flash and that's done locally. It almost seems like the game client and the server are having problems syncing. So the local clock is not running the same speed as server clock or something.

The lag is highly annoying.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Just finished a RB, and it was awful.... think I better stick to pirates till they find a fix

Keen Commentor
    World
    Sandycove
    until now the actual fights have been ok for me, but the combat-display is a nightmare. 3 or 4 messages of the same general attacking, messages of the Martial arts attacking while its the noral general, fake interception reports, dust-clouds at the wrong camp, generals walking towards the camp long after its gone....

Its a miracle the generals do arrive at the right camp to fight. My settlers had a couple of heartattacks (dont worry, with lots more troops then the population limit I can miss a few), but despite the completely broken display of events, the real fighting still works.

Reply to Thread