Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Colonies and PVP

World
    Newfoundland

Colonies and PVP

1. Colonies were never meant to be profitable, their sole purpose is to provide some fun for well established lvl50 players with fully upgraded islands and nothing else to do in game. Hoarding isn`t fun after some time, I know many can relate with me on that.

2. If you dislike the whole PvP/PvE idea don`t use it, its optional, and no need to complain how bad it is when you won`t use it. Rewards are bad, and troops cost a fortune to train, if you are not rich enough ignore it for now and carry on with iotp and outlaws, plenty of granite there still.

3. "New buildings take 2 licences, and where am I supposed to find free space to place them?" Well everybody has 2 building licences spare, and if you don`t just knock down a farm or pwp cutter/forester, you can live with 1k pinewood or wheat less per day(and if you can`t well then you aren`t a PvP material I`m afraid).

4. Valour points are nice way to show player`s dedication to a game they love, and I`m hoping to see a ranking system introduced in game in near future. No more bragging about who has more coins /granite in star

5. Bugs are a big problem and I`m not happy about that either, that should have been fixed long ago especially with so many bug reports on test server, but lets hope BB solves that problem soon and make colonies truly playable.

There I was just trying to focus on things I like rather than think of things that annoy me in game. Still feeling angry about PvP? Try a mars bar, that always helped me in the past

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    Nicely put Markos,

agree that is something you do for fun and not for gain. It has its bugs, and yes they need to be taken care off, but overall a nice new addition to the game. Have already seem people complain, but after giving it a go its quite nice, and not for the lower levels.

Eggcellent Essayist Mortallicus's Avatar
    World
    Northisle
    gr8 start to my day to day Markos thank you. I was almost dreading coming onto the forum

The PvP/PvE starts at level 30. As usual there are quests to complete but best to just stop there until you have enough resources to build all the troops needed. There is more than enough to keep you occupied in the game for many levels to come.
    "Small but beautifully formed ” 
    Tombstone Warriors Guild [ZOMBI]
    Apply now (2nd page in your Guild Shield)

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Markos View Post
    1. Colonies were never meant to be profitable, their sole purpose is to provide some fun
    Then it has failed.

Are you a casual or part-time player? Don't want a chatty guild or expect lots of support?
    And do you want the chance to earn a few guild coins but don't want to be forced to do guild quests on a daily basis?

Then join GQS (Guild Quests (STILL!) Suck) on Northisle!
    Mail Gerontius here or in game for an invite.

Quartermaster
    World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Markos View Post
    1. Colonies were never meant to be profitable, their sole purpose is to provide some fun for well established lvl50 players with fully upgraded islands and nothing else to do in game. Hoarding isn`t fun after some time, I know many can relate with me on that.
    So their way of providing fun is to introduce a buggier and less reliable version of the current combat system with more losses? Well then it's a complete and utter failure. All the high level people in my guilds say the same thing, don't bother. The fact that the "PvP" is introduced at level 30 something.

The fairytale adventures was an attempt to give high level players something interesting to do but they didn't build enough of an infrastructure behind the new magic bean resource for it to stay interesting for very long.

It seems like what most people actually wanted with PvP was some kind of player interaction. They failed completely with that since the current system is actually still PvE. They did have a good idea with the Co-op adventures. To bad the balancing crew are idiots because they utterly failed to make them even remotely attractive appart from Tomb Raider which got nerfed into the ground and Whirlwind which still seems relatively interesting. They have a good foundation and an interesting mechanic there to build on. But it needs some more work. You need a better way to communicate, like a separate chat channel for the participants. The loot need a complete overhaul for all of them. With better communications, you could do more advanced things that require a greater deal of co-operation. But I guess that would be to smart so BB chose to just make the co-op less interesting instead.

Don't hold your breath on those bug fixes. Their track record isn't very good and major bugs can stay for years.

Raving Rabbid
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Zotamedu View Post
    So their way of providing fun is to introduce a buggier and less reliable version of the current combat system with more losses?
    That's a pretty accurate appraisal.

The fairytale adventures was an attempt to give high level players something interesting to do but they didn't build enough of an infrastructure behind the new magic bean resource for it to stay interesting for very long.
    Again - nail on head

It seems like what most people actually wanted with PvP was some kind of player interaction.
    This!!! more than anything! this!!! We didn't wait 3 years to attack the AI again
    HOTFIX!

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    I don't believe the PvP feature was meant for high level players only (given the level at which you can construct the buildings, and the raw materials needed it really suggests that it is meant for most players).

The 2 license issue really is not an issue. It's two buildings, if you can not find or get the licenses then you may not be playing the game right >.> To complain about lack of space is to desire stagnation: Part of the challenge of the game is to make do with the space you have on your island, and either you embrace new features or desire stagnation forever. And given that most people don't want stagnation, I hope that will not end up being the case.

I can't say from first hand experience, but from what I read it seems that the rewards do not merit the costs, and if the activity itself is not fun, then i'm not sure what the appeal will be. Fortunately this can be easily tweaked in the future. Whether or not they decide to tweak it (decrease costs or increase rewards) remains to be seen.

I do know that the amount yielded from a colony is so amazingly small that I would not even notice it trickle in. Sure, 'every little helps', but if I have to choose time spent clicking on an adventure or time spent clicking on a colony, I would choose the adventure.

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    Then it has failed.
    I would not be too sure about that. Think about it how much did it cost the company to finance the man hours for it's development. Now think about how many players who have spent the equivalent of £5 worth of gems on BB's PvP. Now it don't matter if those players carry on, all that counts is that they made the initial investment. Despite what players who have tried it say there will still be more players who will give it a go. As far as the bean counters at BB are concerned Xmas has come early.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    Why would anyone need to spend gems on it?

And I was responding to the suggestion that the sole purpose was for it to be fun

Are you a casual or part-time player? Don't want a chatty guild or expect lots of support?
    And do you want the chance to earn a few guild coins but don't want to be forced to do guild quests on a daily basis?

Then join GQS (Guild Quests (STILL!) Suck) on Northisle!
    Mail Gerontius here or in game for an invite.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerontius View Post
    Why would anyone need to spend gems on it?

And I was responding to the suggestion that the sole purpose was for it to be fun
    Perhaps you have missed that we can`t make buffs for pvp, only buffs available are ones for gems in shop, so anyone considering doing pvp often needs to buy some in order to make weapons/troops in time. Also i find pvp much fun, as do most players that already have colonies, surely you can`t say playing same old repetitive adventure with exactly the same camp placement and troops , with guides already made is more fun?

Reply to Thread