Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: You fixed nothing

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Baggis View Post
    As far as I'm concerned, "the whingers", "the negative people" making the most noise about these problems are the people that actually give two hoots about the game and actually want to see it succeed.

If people just silently accept whatever BB unilaterally decides to implement then nothing will ever improve and BB will just give itself a pat on the back for a job well done each time while the game burns in ruins.
    This!

And someone who does this as a job sits until the clock ticks over takes the paycheck and thats it. Dont get me wrong im not whining about it its just how it is..
    Was fighting windmills from Aug 2012 to Oct 2019.

World
    Newfoundland
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzymandeus View Post
    Though I do not hang on every word put out by BB, I am also far from oblivious to information put out over the News Pages, forums, etc. and I must say I have not seen that stated anywhere.
    Regardless if you have seen it or not, Doesn't make it any less true.

Again, I have not seen that anywhere. However, you'll have to forgive me if the track record of fixing non-urgent issues that make it onto the live servers is not stellar... neither is their record of giving further support/expansion to features after initial deployment and any serious teething problems. I have seen bugs that have taken many months to be fixed.... others I still see today months after I first noticed them. I can't see further re-balancing being given a high priority, especially in the shadow of the deadline for the next event... and the one after that.
    Same as above really, Just because you are unaware doesn't change a thing. Plus to be honest with you all games come with bugs and issues, Much would depend on the size of the team and the funding of the game. If you wish to play a game with AAA support your probably better off paying/playing for the privilege, There is always going to be a trade off between a game that costs money to play to a free to play game.

What of those that have paid significant amount of money.. are they not owed something in return for their investment?
    Owed something? no they are no owed anything, UBI may terminate any part of this service at any time. If your in doubt please check the TOS.

Besides that, it would seem to me that the sound policy, when you are running a game where buying is optional, that you should be doing your utmost to encourage people to purchase and that the first priority in that process should be the provision of a stable platform
    A few days of unannounced maintenance a year hardly make the service unstable.

Introducing bugs with update after update, especially ones that have already been identified on the test server, is extremely counter intuitive to that priority, in my mind anyway.... and I very much doubt anyone could say anything to dissuade me from that opinion.
    I am not trying to dissuade your opinion, I am just stating facts as best I can. I am perfectly happy with the service I have been provided with, That is why I have played this for almost 3 years now.

Sorry, but you'll have to provide me with a better example than this if you want to shift a significant onus onto the misunderstanding of players. I have seen that "Epic Raids" designation being a source of confusion as to whether or not they counted as 'Epic' since day one of their introduction. I have NEVER seen anyone use that term to describe the Tailor Adventures in game... it is always Fairy Tale or FT. We may be where you said we would be.. but as soon as I saw the term "Epic Raid" on an FT adventure description I knew it would cause confusion... and so it has... exactly as I said it would on day one.
    Its irrelevant what slang is used in game, The fact of the matter is they have been categorised as "epic raids"/"epic adventures" for a very long time within the game. Much of the community either didn't read the Dev Diary or just didn't understand it. Either way its a perfect example of the community just not seeing/understanding what is written in black and white.

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Newfoundland
    once again posts seem to be going off topic (very common on this forum)....
    despite what people think there are still serious issues that the 2 down times have not address..and which no one can refute tbh...
    no matter what kind of slant you wanna put on it BB have failed to sort these out...if some think they have then it must be nice living in dreamland
    if you think they are trying then where is the evidence....cause i cant see it...the same problems are occurring now as they did before the down time...so once again enjoy living in dreamland.....
    if you don't experience these issues for yourself do you disbelieve what you must be seeing wrote in your guild chat and what people write in the forums?...
    i personally don't think they are in any rush to sort out any of the issues...as they stated before and i read this their aim is to reduce the amount of adventure people are doing....these issues have certainly done that along with serious nerfing of other aspects of the game.......

imo i would suggest that the players are split into 2 camps...the freeloader/casual type and the gem buying/hardcore type...and this decides which way they view the game and how they react to issues....

freeloaders don't really care about what level service they receive as they just happy its free....yay!
    casual player don't really do enough adventures to be bothered by crazy general behaviour /lag
    gem buyer feels they have spent good money to buy gems and expect a game to work as its meant to...
    hardcore plays loads of adventures a day and it constantly frustrated by the crazy gen behaviour/lag and want the game to work as its meant to....

Town Crier
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Brayarg View Post
    Regardless if you have seen it or not, Doesn't make it any less true.
    But it does highlight the issue of poor communication. And, even if has been written (to borrow from Douglas Adams) at "the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'", and was done so with the best of intentions, it doesn't mean something will actually happen. I guess only time will tell.

Same as above really, Just because you are unaware doesn't change a thing.
    Yes, it does... it affects the players' perception of the changes. If the information that the loot balancing is supposed to be a work in progress is not widely disseminated by official sources, in tandem with a track record of 'minor tweaks' taking months to appear, if at all, then that can serve to fuel the very kind of criticism you are objecting to in this thread. This is part of what I am talking about when I say it is as a result of a culture that the company is allowing to propagate.

Plus to be honest with you all games come with bugs and issues, Much would depend on the size of the team and the funding of the game. If you wish to play a game with AAA support your probably better off paying/playing for the privilege, There is always going to be a trade off between a game that costs money to play to a free to play game.
    If I wanted a game with "AAA support", then I wouldn't have started playing a game with BETA plastered all over the front page. However, I do not feel it is unreasonable to expect a better level of stability in a game AFTER it removes that BETA tag and the fact remains that since that happened there have been multiple prolonged periods (of at least a week) where the game was nigh on unplayable for me... that never happened to me whilst the game was still BETA and I have literally logged into this game every day for over two years now.

A few days of unannounced maintenance a year hardly make the service unstable.
    LOL

No.. that wouldn't.. but a few days of unannounced maintenance in just over a week is a different story... especially when they don't even touch some problems that a significant chunk of the player base have been dealing with for weeks.

Owed something? no they are no owed anything, UBI may terminate any part of this service at any time. If your in doubt please check the TOS.
    Yes, you are right. In a strict legal sense players are not owed anything.

In that same strict legal sense players are not obliged to pay anything either.

Same as with any other product or service, if the company want to continue to make money then they need to provide value...

I am perfectly happy with the service I have been provided with, That is why I have played this for almost 3 years now.
    ...value which you are obviously receiving... good for you!

Others, however, obviously disagree and they have the right to express their opinions on it here, just as much as you have the right to express yours. What section of the forum they choose to do it in is irrelevant. Whether you, or anyone else, find it to be constructive or otherwise it is still feedback.

Like I said previously, I have played this game now for just over two years. I keep playing it because I love the premise behind it and I enjoy playing it immensely... when it works! It is because of this enjoyment that I care about what happens to the game and so I come here to provide feedback, both positive and negative. The fact that the negative seems to be outstripping the positive lately is indicative to me that the level of service we are getting is degrading. I know that is not a fact, and merely my opinion, but it is one that this forum tells me I share with others.

As you say, we're not owed anything, but if, like me, other players don't feel they are getting what they pay for then they will stop paying... free to play game or not, we are their customer base and if they do not provide a service that sufficient levels of us are willing to invest in then they will not make money and then the game will be closed down by the bean counters.

Yes, I recognise that one of the ways to do that is to introduce new content, and I applaud them for continuing to try. I also recognise that there is a tendency for perfectionism from developers and someone needs to define some degree of limitations to that perfectionism. However, anyone casting an unbiased, critical eye over the feedback from Colony Mode on these forums will have to work hard to find anything significant of a positive nature. About the best I have managed to read here is a select few using words like "potential" which, in essence, means that things are some significant way from ideal. On the other hand I have read, both here and in game, people who were keen to see a PvP aspect introduced who have expressed reservations, if not outright disappointment, at what has been presented to them.

When you add the bugs introduced to normal adventuring to this failure to deliver on players expectations regarding PvP it does not bode well and the "negativity" people, such as MOD_Kioco and yourself, are complaining about is a direct, and inevitable, result of those failures. If you are sick of the complaints then look to the source. Complaining about the complainers will serve no good save to raise questions such as this:

Quote Originally Posted by ATHTHEMANIAC View Post
    if you don't experience these issues for yourself do you disbelieve what you must be seeing wrote in your guild chat and what people write in the forums?...
    But, speaking of ATHTHEMANIAC's post, there is one point he makes worthy of some serious consideration:

Quote Originally Posted by ATHTHEMANIAC View Post
    freeloaders don't really care about what level service they receive as they just happy its free....yay!
    casual player don't really do enough adventures to be bothered by crazy general behaviour /lag
    gem buyer feels they have spent good money to buy gems and expect a game to work as its meant to...
    hardcore plays loads of adventures a day and it constantly frustrated by the crazy gen behaviour/lag and want the game to work as its meant to....
    Now I'll leave you with a final thought to consider before I tear my attention away from the forums for a good, long while in order to deal with important matters of festive fun:

Of these types of players... which one(s) regularly pay the bills to keep the servers running?

Take care everyone and have a wonderful time over the holiday!

Peace!

Out!

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle
    Hiya Ozzy. So they should too, nothing wrong with +1ing something in the appropriate forum, Hell its not the end of the world if they place is in the wrong forum either. Location wasn't really the main point I was making. But I'm guessing you already knew that anyway.

Constructive criticism aimed at improving the game in a mature manor is always welcomed and the more people that provide it the better really, But a lot of what has been posted here over the past month or so hasn't been that.

edit: removed some so not to provoke an argument.
    So what is the use of puting things in proper categories? Atleast here I get some kind of reponse, even the one from MOD kioco

http://forum.thesettlersonline.com/t...263#post272263

Adventure is now finnished, I am out of 30k coins and what did I gain from puting it in correct category? Nothing.
    Was the thread constructive enough?

Skilled Student
    World
    Sandycove
    Is it not time to band together to get some of the problems fixed. I myself just lost 360elites in a bug. i have now been told its my own fault for doing a block as blocks are not recomended. Even though they have a unit that is designed to block.

Come on,someone must know a way we can get a decent service. Any ideas before i buy an xbox

Architect of the Empire
    World
    Sandycove
    Holiday madness (Hope everyone is having grand assorted Winter Holidays!) and general TSO exhaustion have kept me from this thread, even full as it now with some very valuable feedback and the beginnings of some long overdue discussions, and a good deal from the game, so though the holiday timing feels off this is already much belated:

Quote Originally Posted by Iolanthe View Post
    This is Completely. Inappropriate.

From a plaintext player there's a decent chance it would be edited, from a MOD... seriously? " [removed] "?
    I did not intend to imply MODs can't be moderated, though it does sometimes feel that way I know it's not the case. Rather, when a MOD in their MOD_hat falls, steps, or leaps outside the rules they're meant to enforce it makes the prospect of being modded by them decidedly uncomfortable, more so when no apology follows. This is awkward, to say the least. At the time I was hard pressed to think of a tactful way to say that and my ellipsis could easily be read several ways, so 'clarity'. Even if it's late.

Hey Brayarg, I don't mean to direct this all at you personally. Your posts contain some things that are, I think, fairly representative of the views of a section of TSO people and I've pulled from them more as reference than anything else.

Regarding new, re-balanced loot:

I don't remember where I read it, But I know I read it somewhere, BB have stated that this was the first iteration, We cant judge something as an end product when it certainly may not be one.
    The only posts about the first iteration of new loot I remember seeing were on the test server, posted 30.09.

Quote Originally Posted by BB_Mara
    The new loot is only the first iteration and will get further adjustments within the next weeks/versions.

Original
    also at the bottom of this post: Version changes 30th September

The PvP/Colonies Diary says:

Quote Originally Posted by DevDiary View Post
    "The new Colony (including PvP) mode brings a lot of new features to "The Settlers Online".
    The first iteration will be available on Tuesday, 25th of November."
    but nothing about more loot adjustments in the bottom post listing the changes to the then current game.

While new loot could definitely stand some tweaking (and a few solid thumps) unless I've missed something it's really not at all clear if further changes are still planned or not, and the original mentions of loot iterations, at this point, really couldn't be more:

(to borrow from Douglas Adams) at "the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying 'Beware of the Leopard'"
    Regarding Fairytales/"Epic Raids":

The fact of the matter is they have been categorised as "epic raids"/"epic adventures" for a very long time within the game. Much of the community either didn't read the Dev Diary or just didn't understand it. Either way its a perfect example of the community just not seeing/understanding what is written in black and white.
    Following the 25.11 update Support were also referring to the changes in enemies on "epic adventures". Players were not the only ones confused, the name "Epic Raids" was just confusing. From day one.

It doesn't help that recent Diaries, Press Releases and other info have been less than reliable, the "50% faster" of "Production Weeks" was and is still wrong, as is the Official Info here: [Dev Diary] Exotic Wood Tree Nursery and Decoration, Overview on Generals saying Generals are available from levels - and 4. They aren't, and that is basic stuff. The Colonies/PvP tutorial video in the Help Archive was "introduced" when it hit the front page, a day after appearing in-game with the PvP/Colony update as being just made (it wasn't) and with no mention of its location in-game. Then there were, among others, the silent changes to Adventure types, and the population "fix" with another downtime "compensation" that wasn't... even the Grinch doesn't deserve having responsibility for that series of events thrust upon him.

BB do do a lot of things right else no-one would be here and that is, as ever, well worth remembering.

*But*

It's been said often that [in colour] are "only human", and while the average everyday player does certainly bear some responsibility for keeping informed it should not be quite so challenging and it would help a great deal if the available information was a little more accurate, timely, easy to find, and understandable. [plaintext] are after all, also "only human."
    Last edited by Iolanthe; 28.12.14 at 04:42.

World
    Newfoundland
    i just skip all those self experienced stuff, and coop with you crazybat, one time the blocks work okay, and the other time it's all bleeped up.
    before anyone will give me some doodoo about blocks are not meant to be, that's crap, otherwise every gen would be intercepted by the first camp they would pass while it's already under attack.

i really think BB should reconsidder the loot changes , especially the ones from coop adv's, and some for the lower level players as iotp.
    also think they should LISTEN to the players.

me personally do not enjoy the game as i did before, and as far as i know a lot of players in my friendlist too. which will lead to a huge reduce of daily paying players.

Ignore my opinion, i don't care less. can only say what i personally feel and notice around me.

Reply to Thread