Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Guild Quests need to be changed

EWiggin
    My guild [80 friends] manages all GQ within two days - or we kick a couple if we need - we rarely have to do this.

As for the nonsense about weapons, build your weapon chains - clearly all friends will need them and the quests to produce from them are level appropriate.

We help out friends with weapons - we don't expect them to be run at low upgrade levels - but a L48 player aught to be able to produce carriages etc...

Overall, the changes are positive for forging self reliance of friends - Well done BB

Dedicated Scribe
    World
    Newfoundland
    EWiggin you seem to have missed the point of the post. The point is that the current system is broken and unbalanced where quests cost more than they reward. Yes you can take your approach where you insist everyone completes everything at top speed under threat of booting but have you actually stopped and looked at what you are doing and why?

High levels can produce carriages etc but why would they want to invest a lot of time obtaining saltpetre to make cannons to then throw it away for guild coins that are worth much less?

Why has the game been bled dry of pirates and dark priests yet the guild quests stay the same?

The current guild quests force people through a number of awkward hoops but the end goal is not worth it. For the majority of the time there's nothing worthwhile buying for guild coins, the quests aren't worthwhile and all they do is make discord in guilds as someone has to take responsibility for nagging people to do something largely fruitless.

There have not been any changes to guild quests in a long time and they are overdue as Procell says. BB has made changes but only done half of the job, when is the other half being done?

Raving Rabbid
    World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by EWiggin View Post
    My guild [80 friends] manages all GQ within two days - or we kick a couple if we need - we rarely have to do this.

As for the nonsense about weapons, build your weapon chains - clearly all friends will need them and the quests to produce from them are level appropriate.

We help out friends with weapons - we don't expect them to be run at low upgrade levels - but a L48 player aught to be able to produce carriages etc...

Overall, the changes are positive for forging self reliance of friends - Well done BB
    you're missing the point.

One can produce damas, carriages etc... but why would you delete, sorry *donate* them and receive a handful of star coins that are a tiny fraction of their new trade value? If you were to sell those weapons in trade you could buy back 10x the number of guild coins with the proceeds. This is what my guild members are saying to me and it is very hard to offer a counter argument.

As a guild leader, the only way I can see now to maintain 'the self reliance of friends' is to cancel all but the simplest guild quests. It is a divisive system that is destroying guilds' atmosphere - "Who hasn't done their GQ?", "Why haven't you done your GQ?" etc...

The cameraderie in guild is far more important to me than a handful of coins ands I cannot boot my friends who are simply objecting to an aspect of the game that has become unbalanced.
    Last edited by Jim_B; 07.02.15 at 10:40.
    HOTFIX!

EWiggin

Missed the point?? I think not!!!

I think you all missed the point before I ever did! The point of GQ was never reward (It never added up to profit for all).

The point of GQ is to increase cameraderie and participation over and above any perceived material gain!

I'm certainly not saying that BB does not need to look at the current content - but some of you may need to look at the reason why you do GQ at all...

The Cambridge dictionary defines a quest as: "a long search for something that is difficult to find, or an attempt to achieve something difficult". It does not talk of reward or profit - often the only reward would be completion of a quest.

Baggis - you talk about top speed with threat of booting - but we rarely kick - and when we do, we invite back at the same time. Everyone understands the participation thing and that if it were to happen to them, it would be a sacrifice for the greater good.

Jim_B - You talk about those questions destroying an atmosphere - and rightly so - comments like that form one of our few rules - which is that those comments are not allowed.

80 Active members - Last GQ: Winter Might Come [Nords] - complete in 16 hours - no messing - no GemSpend - no kicks...

Happy settling...

World
    Northisle
    I can see all the points from everyone in this thread - unsurprisingly I agree with EWiggin but we have been playing together for a few years now. For me it's the participation in GQ that is important and the guild pulling together for a common aim. In Pegasus you often see the high level players working with those in the 20's/30's to help them complete GQ's (especially the 2 adventure GQ's). We seem to work a good 'Pay it Back' system so when you are able you help players below you for very little cost to them. As that player progresses they do the same to those below them. We get a few that take advantage of this, they tend to be short time players, but as a guild I believe we've grown stronger because of it.

The point by Baggis & Procell about IotP and Dark Priests is extremely valid though and BB need to look at the guild quests to make sure that those are possible as soon people will run out of those they have in the star menu. How about throwing a couple of co-ops in there, my star menu is awash with Lakeside Treasures???

The rewards and guild merchant need to be looked at for high level players though. I didn't care (I don't still really) about throwing a few cannons away for a GQ when they dropped from adventures but now I would rather it was a resource donation as that's what's dropping now.

I'd also like to see the Guild Merchant tally reset once a year for example. I can't buy any more recyclers as I've bought my allocation but after a year couldn't this reset allowing me to purchase 3 more?

There may be more thoughts from me later on but unfortunately work is calling (and yes it's a Saturday).

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    BDM1975 I suggest you look again, it was 2 recyc's not 3. As for a guild shop reset we have not yet had enough time to see if it is even cyclic in nature.

The thing to remember here is not all guilds have the same approch to the quild quests. You also have to remember that over time a guild will mature with more and more higher level players meaning the lower level quests become less of a issue. If this is not the case then those in charge of the guild need to ask themselves why they are having such a high turnover of members.

However Quests, Daily Quests and Guild quests ARE badly in need of a rework to bring them back in line with all that has been added to the game over the last two years.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Enlightened Sage
    World
    Northisle
    I always delete GQs requiring payment of expert level materials. That says it all, really.

Can't even begin to understand how "paying resources" is a considered a synonym for "working together".

And paying expensive (but easily obtained) resources for a tiny reward doesn't even come close to meeting the definition of a quest as "a long search for something that is difficult to find, or an attempt to achieve something difficult". So that's a rubbish argument, too.

Are you a casual or part-time player? Don't want a chatty guild or expect lots of support?
    And do you want the chance to earn a few guild coins but don't want to be forced to do guild quests on a daily basis?

Then join GQS (Guild Quests (STILL!) Suck) on Northisle!
    Mail Gerontius here or in game for an invite.

EWiggin
    Dorotheus

Unless BB go back on the Votes for Guild Merchant content, It cannot be cyclical in nature... Sure it was two and not three - but BDM's point was that when offered again, buildings aught to be available to all.

Nobody here has disagreed that BB need to look at the content / makeup of GQ. I have just questioned the need to cancel them the moment they are a bit challenging. Several posts specifically referred to "Winter Might Come" and I stated a fact that our 80 members (40% are L46+ - many more have been with us for a long time but play a slower game) did this GQ in 16 hours with no pressure or gemspend.

I agree that we do not all have the same approach - but most of us do not have our backs against the wall in the manner of some previous posters.

Gerontious

You lead a guild called "Guild Quests Suck". That says it all really.

Paying resources is not a synonym for working together - but paying resources to complement the adventures others had to do - IS synonymous with working together...

You seemed to focus on the aspect of paying resources and ignored the overall nature of GQ.... Then you said that this aspect made my argument rubbish!!

You lead a guild called "Guild Quests Suck". That says it all really.

Happy Settling,
    EW...

Jolly Advisor
    World
    Newfoundland
    I totally agree that Guild quests are about working together as others have said. Comparing the individual's reward with the individual's costs misses the point a bit. Sometimes it makes sense for a few people take a loss so everyone gets the guild quest rewards.

In my view single player adventures like IotP have no place in guild quests - players can be stuck in another adventure and there is little the rest of the guild can do to help - it is an individual quest not a guild quest. So whilst I agree the price point I actually don't think that IotP should feature at all, irrespective of price.

(In my guild we routinely cancel certain quests - including those with pirates and nords. We set ourselves a target to complete the other GQ within 48hrs and mostly we achieve it. )

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    EWiggin ok the use of the word cyclical was a mistake, I should have said repeated offers.

With new items being brought into the game and some of those items making it into the guild market after a period of time we the players have know way of knowing if a certain offer would be repeated. Also there is no evidence to support an assumption about if there is a cap on some items one way or another. A reset as suggested would prevent any new cool items from ever entering the guild market.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Reply to Thread