Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Scrap notPVP and fix the bugs introduced in proper adventures when it was released

World
    Sandycove

Wink

A limited voice for the 'other' side of all this (bugs and dissapointments in general)...
    No doubt players have the right to expect a quality product. I would never argue with that. But consider these points too:

1) The game is free. While we are 'encouraged' in ways to invest real money, there is no requirement to do so.
    2) I have been in IT for more than 30 years, having written code, tested it, and even administrating the servers. I've seen a lot of resources devoted to testing and it's a very complex issue and extremely hard to get right 100% of the time.
    3) Even though it's a browser based game there are still a large number of variables that must be checked. All the different browser versions, various releases of Flash, innumerable video cards, different OS with different versions, tablets, smart phones, the list is endless.
    4) In most cases 'developers' just code what they are told to, what is to be done comes from somewhere else. And we all know management can have some -um- interesting ideas sometimes. Most people won't risk their job even if they know the request is a bad one.
    5) I know it sounds impossible, but sometimes the users are the ones with the issue. This is known as PEBCAC (problem exists between computer and chair).

I have no problem at all calling something weak or poorly done when it is. And I definitely agree there are some bugs and some not very well thought out ideas in the game. However it is still a great game. Consider the above and trust that most of the people working on this game are trying to do the best they can.

NOW back to complaining...
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

World
    Sandycove
    NOW back to complaining...
    He he oh goodie ( not that I need permission lol )

What is really sad, is that although it might not seem like it, I really do not want to be on the forum `complaining', I'd rather be playing my favourite game . The key point there is `playing', not `worrying' about bugs eating my troops, resources or giving a half thought through `re-balanced' reward for my efforts.
    All of what you say Xibor is valid, I am merely a customer here and not a programming expert. However much of what you say could be construed, and after 2+ years here of seeing it, I have to conclude is being, used as an excuse not as a problem that needs resolving.
    I'm not picking an argument with you in the post that follows, but each of your points allow me to show what is going wrong or needs looking at `seriously' if the problems are going to be turned around for the benefit of the game ( and indeed BB's reputation )

1) The game is free. While we are 'encouraged' in ways to invest real money, there is no requirement to do so.
    It should not matter that the game is FTP, This is merely a business model that has proved to be a rather successful money earner for the company that implements it properly. It appears though that some companies forget this, and do not invest to get the return and only see the FTP title as an excuse not to invest in a timely manner ( Usually the perception of an accounting executive )
    What appears to have happened in this game is there was a long period of under investment during its second year, and by the time it was realised, timing constraints were applied to the development process, which is why we were having new content thrown at us not properly tested. The consequence of this was bugs, both in the new content and creating bugs in existing content. These started to compound and without the resources spent fixing them rather than plastering over them ( short term fixes ). They remained in the background and then effected some new content as it was added, which is what we are probably seeing today.

2) I have been in IT for more than 30 years, having written code, tested it, and even administrating the servers. I've seen a lot of resources devoted to testing and it's a very complex issue and extremely hard to get right 100% of the time.
    I'm sure it is, and I like most of the players here understand that. What we do take issue with though, is the fact that many of us help on the `testing' server and report the issues only to be ignored....There is NO excuse for this, Even `verified bugs' have made it over to live servers. Anyone who is involved in `pushing' this content over needs a serious talking too, as they are effecting the companies name and reputation in a very negative manner!

3) Even though it's a browser based game there are still a large number of variables that must be checked. All the different browser versions, various releases of Flash, innumerable video cards, different OS with different versions, tablets, smart phones, the list is endless.
    Here I do sympathise with the developers, even I can understand how difficult it must be developing code and then have a third party change theirs and having to rework or test it. However this is one of the extra costs of browser based games, and should be part of their business model, and never be allowed to be used by the developers as an `excuse'. Browser game developers are after all `customers' of the browser companies, and should have good communication with them and be able to mitigate most adverse changes likely to effect the game.

4) In most cases 'developers' just code what they are told to, what is to be done comes from somewhere else. And we all know management can have some -um- interesting ideas sometimes. Most people won't risk their job even if they know the request is a bad one.
    Any company that curtails feedback from all its workers, is badly led. I agree that there are signs that senior managers either within BB or Ubisoft are dropping the ball here if this is the case. I deal with this type of thing as my day job so know how it can effect a business and the standard of work that business produces. Once recognised it can be fixed, if the company does not wish to acknowledge the problem, then its up to the customers to get the message across, which is why `constructive' complaining on forums can be worth while

5) I know it sounds impossible, but sometimes the users are the ones with the issue. This is known as PEBCAC (problem exists between computer and chair).
    Ha ha, I've seen that here too, not only from chair to computer, but from eyes to brain to fingers to keyboard But it is good to see so many helpful players both in chat and forum in the TSO community giving so much back I'll include Mods and a special mention of Fexno here who does tireless work for the players And yes even the GM's and I do feel so sorry for them having to constantly change their posts, and take so much flax from disgruntled players. It does no harm in reminding players not to `shoot the messenger'...... aim higher
    When those same people voice concerns or even leave the game because of how they feel the players are being treated by the Developers/management, someone needs to take notice of not just the way its being expressed ( and being dismissed as a rant ) but what is actually being said for the good of the game....and therefore the company
    Are we to be told of adventure changes or not? 1 Month on and still SNEAKY RB changes have not been mentioned

Guide of the Month Ruler of the Land Nogbad's Avatar
    World
    Newfoundland
    It may be "free", but when you pay good money for a bonus feature like a year's premium, you expect to reap the rewards for the entire year, not have the adventure loot taken away with 5 months premium left to go.
    The bugs are getting far too old, and new stuff is being put on over the top of these, even though it too has not been tested properly, and all feedback and bug reports about it remain ignored on the bug creation server.
    This last lot of changes have seriously unbalanced the game, and introduced a dimension that really was not wanted by the majority even if it had worked properly.
    I've been here since the start, and I have never witnessed such an exodus from the game as there's been since 25/11.
    We love our new CM.

Newfoundland: 20th November 2011 to 25th November 2014. RIP
    It was good while it lasted.

Glorious Graduate
    World
    Newfoundland
    When tso was announced i was thinking for a settlers 1 style mmo, instead we got a mouse clicking game that stands still if staring to long on the screen... the most addictive game i played.

On topic: the devs must be sooo slow or they simply dont care about feedbacks until the game runs dry.
    Last edited by Astraldimension; 27.01.15 at 17:32.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by Larili View Post
    I'm not picking an argument with you in the post that follows, but each of your points allow me to show what is going wrong or needs looking at `seriously' if the problems are going to be turned around for the benefit of the game ( and indeed BB's reputation )

Some good points Larili, and very well expressed. Ignoring the customer base is never a good way to run a business. I've only been around a few months so there's lots I haven't had to go through yet. Fortunately, up to this point, my problems and dissapointments have been mimimal (I seriously hopes that continues).

The players need to continue to make contructive suggestions, and the company should listen within the individual update plans they have to respond to those suggestions as it becomes possible. And I will make suggestions and point out problems when I see them. I personally will avoid trash-talking - it doesn't help in my opinion.

One point about changes to code - sometimes what is on the surface seems very easy to change it might require updates to several databases and then because of that change then thousands of lines of code need to be adjusted because of the uderlying change to the database structure and sometimes it goes on and on and on. I've heard complaints/suggestions in my real world that to the customer sound SO simple but actually would cause a team of people weeks to do it because of the nuances and the business must weigh the cost to the benefits.

That being said, and again while I haven't had that many problems, some of the problems I hear described and that have been going on for a long period of time do indeed sound serious to the core of the game and it's fair to expect the company to focus on those as a priority.
    Sorry, but I've slept since then...

Reply to Thread