Reply to Thread

Thread: Do you experience lag, your game loads weird and you have performance issues?

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle

Do you experience lag, your game loads weird and you have performance issues?

Then this might work for you as a fix.
    Do you also have problem with using more tabs in the same time if TSO is one of the tabs? Then you definitely need this fix.
    Alright, here is the fix. First check your RAM size. How to check RAM
    Remember your RAM size or write it down. I would advise that you create restore point for safety if something unexpected happens.How to make Restore point and that you do this from your user account, not the admin account.

Press windows button + Pause/Brake
    Select "advanced system settings" on the left of your screen

New window will open, select "advanced" tab.
    Select "settings" in performance section (usually the first one)

New window will open, select "advanced" tab.
    Click "change" button in Virtual memory section (usually the last one)

Now follow carefully.
    Uncheck "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" check box (for Vista and later)
    Select the system drive your windows are installed on (usually it is C: )
    Click "Custom size" to check it and enable aditional options.
    In both "Initial size" and "Maximum size" type the value that is 1.5x of your RAM capacity. Example: if RAM size is 2GB (2000MB approx) type in 3500 MB

Click Ok to accept
    It will require to restart computer.

Courtesy of "Geeks to go" Forum
    Last edited by CrazyBat; 19.02.15 at 11:04.

World
    Sandycove
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyBat View Post
    Then this might work for you as a fix. <...>
    Click "Custom size" to check it and enable aditional options.
    In both "Initial size" and "Maximum size" type the value that is 1.5x of your RAM capacity. Example: if RAM size is 2GB (2000MB approx) type in 3500 MB
    1.5x 2000 = 3000 if i'm correct right ? and not 3500
    Retired settler, may 2012 - oktober 2017

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle
    Yes indeed, but it is safe to extend it to 3500 Thank you for correction.

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    Wonders why this may be required on a 64bit OS with 16GB Ram and an SSD.
    Especially when I can experience lag after bootup with no other applications running and a minimal set of background tasks.

I would rather BB and Flash fixed the damn problem as my lag is not due to insufficient system resources - its down to lousy programming and creating a bigger page file (24GB) that wont get used is not going to help me. For info - this PC has been running all day and still only has 2432MB of page-file in use.

That being said, I can understand why it may help some people and especially if they have 4GB or less of RAM. So worth a try for many

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by fishslice View Post
    Wonders why this may be required on a 64bit OS with 16GB Ram and an SSD.
    Especially when I can experience lag after bootup with no other applications running and a minimal set of background tasks.

I would rather BB and Flash fixed the damn problem as my lag is not due to insufficient system resources - its down to lousy programming and creating a bigger page file (24GB) that wont get used is not going to help me. For info - this PC has been running all day and still only has 2432MB of page-file in use.

That being said, I can understand why it may help some people and especially if they have 4GB or less of RAM. So worth a try for many
    Show off
    Yes indeed, this is intended for those like me who have 2GB RaM primarly and to those with 4 GB. If I am not mistaken if you have 16 GB you can turn that off completely? Not sure if I read it correctly. Here is the guide anyway:
    "If your PC has at least 16 GB of RAM installed, you can also select No paging file here. Please note that this might make troubleshooting system crashes with WhoCrashed harder, because not all required information is written to crash dump file after activating this option."
    https://www.winhelp.us/set-paging-fi...n-windows.html

After I did this, after I increased pagefile my overall performance improved drastically. And although TSO has its own little problems, game behaves much better.
    You can also read the thread I opened on "Geeks to go" Forum.
    http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/topic.../#entry2483667

Wordsmith
    World
    Newfoundland
    Absolutely agree CrazyBat (I was showing off)
    But also agree that this could help people with lower amounts of memory.
    Also if you are memory / processor constrained then its worth defragmenting the Paging File. I'm not going to explain that here as its to technical but there's plenty of places that can explain via Google...

World
    Newfoundland
    Interesting idea. However, my work PC is an 8gb ram Laptop, and my home PC is a 32gb ram monster. TSO performance is not markedly different, and I have never seen either machine run out of memory.

The fact that lag and disconnects arrive every time a new patch or feature is rolled out makes me think that the issue is with the software, not the client PC hardware.
    Last edited by EctoRune; 02.03.15 at 09:39.
    EVO is recruiting.
    Players of all levels and experiences welcome. We like to teach.
    Take a look at our recruitment thread, or send me a PM if you're interested.
    Join the evolution today!

Ruler of the Land
    World
    Sandycove
    I can vouch for the techniques describe above, currently running the game with a measly 0.75 gig of memory.
    When it comes to Gene pools and shallow ends they can be found at the bar drinking pina colada's

Treasure Hunter
    World
    Northisle
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorotheus View Post
    I can vouch for the techniques describe above, currently running the game with a measly 0.75 gig of memory.
    Cool, you knew about this before or did this post help you? Thanks for confirming this tweak.
    I have noticed that it is a must to clear the cache once a week because computer gets clogged.

Reply to Thread